Hello new to this.

Hi, I am a 48 yr old female who is tired of being overweight and want to really get serious about weight loss. I have tried several progams, such as TOPS, but to no success. I start out all gung ho, and then it just seems to falter when I don't get the results that I think I should have. I am now at my all time heaviest I have ever been. I just want to stop and get on track. I am realizing that it is going to take alot of hard work and not going to be easy or fast as I would like it to be. I don't neccessarily want to be skinny, I just want to feel good and not have to take anymore medication. I am diabetic and have high blood pressure due to the diabetes. If I can get that under control I think that everything else will fall into place. If anyone else out there has some similar things and needs to lose alot of weight like me and want to help encourage each other just let me know and I will try and be the support you need.

Replies

• vlampton
    vlampton Posts: 3
    Hi, I am a 48 yr old female who is tired of being overweight and want to really get serious about weight loss. I have tried several progams, such as TOPS, but to no success. I start out all gung ho, and then it just seems to falter when I don't get the results that I think I should have. I am now at my all time heaviest I have ever been. I just want to stop and get on track. I am realizing that it is going to take alot of hard work and not going to be easy or fast as I would like it to be. I don't neccessarily want to be skinny, I just want to feel good and not have to take anymore medication. I am diabetic and have high blood pressure due to the diabetes. If I can get that under control I think that everything else will fall into place. If anyone else out there has some similar things and needs to lose alot of weight like me and want to help encourage each other just let me know and I will try and be the support you need.
  • vixipixi
    vixipixi Posts: 4 Member
    Welcome and good luck! I have traditionally started out the same way, very gung ho and then lost interest. But now I've found my favourite thing in the world - Kickboxing, I never thought I'd be able to do it or do well but I was wrong. What is your "thing"? The one thing you'd love to try but haven't had the courage/inclination to try?

181331.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • vlampton
    vlampton Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply vixipixi, I really honestly don't have a "thing" as of yet. I do know that I like to walk and long ago I lost a lot of weight just by walking and dieting. I think the kick boxing thing would be fun not sure if I am in enough shape for that yet. But who knows, maybe later when I am in better shape. Good luck in your endeavors and please keep me posted.
  • Tiff_09
    Tiff_09 Posts: 5,627 Member
    BEST WISHES!!! I just started on Monday and I think this is a GREAT place to start. Already I see that there is a lot of valuable information on here.. and this is the first time EVER i have really kept track of what i'm putting in my mouth.

Good luck finding your 'thing'! For me, exercise has to be a little FUN.. i love Turbo Jam.. Hip Hop Abs and Zumba!
  • Bug263
    Bug263 Posts: 90 Member
    Walking is a good way to get started... I have the same faltering problem...I don't walk everyday but I try to make sure if I'm not to stay on my feet most of the day, avoid sitting as much as possible(stay at home mom)... good luck....happy losing!:drinker:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    There are several reasons people start out gung ho and then drop off. One is unrealistic expectations. 1 pound loss a week is a healthy, good expectation. 15 pounds a week is not. Another reason is people start out doing too much and it's too hard. Set realistic exercise goals as well. For example, when I started I put in I would work out cardio 30 mins 3x/wk. I figured I could do that. I always exceeded that and have recently upped it- but the point was, to set a goal I could achieve. You can always set higher goals later!

This is a lifestyle change, not a "diet". You will always fail if you don't eat healthy and eat right. You can drink diet shakes, skip meals, whatever, but the fact is that once you go back to eating "normal" food your body will store fat like crazy and you'll gain it all back.

Take baby steps, with your eating, with your exercise. This is a life long journey, where hopefully you'll be maintaining your weight at the end, rather then still trying to lose, but it's not something you ever "go off of" like a diet.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome MFP, the greatest website ever. You will love it here. I do. I find this site so helpful, supportive, motivational, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: