Help! Confused about water weight

Options
Hi! As of last week I had been watching what I ate for awhile and the last time I weighed myself (probably around August) I was 155. I had decided to try to not weigh in and go more by how my clothes were fitting for a little while. Ok so now it's October and even though I was continuing to watch what I ate and exercise I felt that my clothes were fitting a little tighter and I really felt like I had somehow gained at LEAST 5 pounds because I just looked and felt fatter the past few weeks.. So I decided I had to see how much I weighed so that I could get rid of any extra weight before it got too much.

So I weighed myself yesterday morning expecting a gain and i was... 153. So apparently I had lost a little bit of weight. So then why did I look like I gained? I don't know..So I decided I'm going to monitor more closely my weight for a couple of weeks to see what's going on.

Today I weighed in..24 hours later..and I was 147.5! And I look normal again too...I might have been a little extra careful with what I ate yesterday but not drastically so.. So since I know it's impossible to lose 5.5 pounds in a day I think I was obviously retaining water weight for awhile since I had all the tell-tale signs like looking/feeling fatter even though I wasn't actually. So my question is.. why do you guys think I was retaining the water weight and why did it suddenly dissapear? And more importantly- how do I avoid retaining water weight like that again? Now that I'm under 150 (the lowest I've ever been in my adult life) I don't want to go back! Help please..thank you!

Replies

• sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    My guess is that when you decided to pay more attention to your diet you began making small changes... drinking more water, eating more veggies, cutting out soda... all of which reduced your sodium. It doesn't take HUGE changes to change water retention. I will also say that around that TOM, I can retain up to 8-10 lbs of water weight. So - it could simply be hormonal changes too. At any rate, congrats on being under 150... I look forward to that day!
  • autumnblingsz
    autumnblingsz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm just confused because it's not like this happened within a week.... I lost 5.5 of water weight within one day.. how does that happen? Haha
  • autumnblingsz
    autumnblingsz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm just confused because it's not like this happened within a week.... I lost 5.5 of water weight within one day.. how does that happen? Haha

Urine and sweat are my guess.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Was it close to your period or when you ovulate? I can easily gain 3-5 pounds of water weight from either of those. Also, having a ton of sodium on one day can cause me to gain 3-5 pounds as well of water weight.
  • buddha5050
    buddha5050 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You experienced why you should weigh in once a week, on the same day after you preferably after you wake up and eliminate waste. Your body will fluxuate from day to day and times of day. Plus looking at your food diary you should try to hit at least 1200 cals a day because anything less and your body could become confused and start to go into starvation mode and begin to hold on to those calories for an energy source or fat because it does not know when it will recieve fuel again.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Well looking at your diary it says on Wed the 19th you had over 5,000mg of sodium. That alone could explain the water weight! I try to keep my sodium under 1500 if I can, but it is very hard to even keep it under 2000 so I know it's not easy. But, you have to try to keep it lower if you don't want to retain water. Plus it's not healthy for your heart! Hope this helps. <3 You are gorgeous by the way! :)
  • buddha5050
    buddha5050 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well looking at your diary it says on Wed the 19th you had over 5,000mg of sodium. That alone could explain the water weight! I try to keep my sodium under 1500 if I can, but it is very hard to even keep it under 2000 so I know it's not easy. But, you have to try to keep it lower if you don't want to retain water. Plus it's not healthy for your heart! Hope this helps. <3 You are gorgeous by the way! :)
    yes that aswell