Tips for cutting calories?

Options
I've been logging on for about 3 weeks, tracking my food and exercise. It's helped me realize a lot about how I eat and exercize--like I eat way more fat than I thought, but I also exercise a lot more than I thought!

I've consistently been eating 300+ over my calorie limit. Now that I have the hang of logging, I want to start trying to not eat more than my calorie limit so I can really start losing this weight! But I'm not sure how to go about doing this. "Just eat less" doesn't work for me. I'm wondering how to go about eating less. Any suggestions?

Replies

• DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    if you open up your diary we could help you with some ideas.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    hi- look at my diary
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    if you open up your diary we could help you with some ideas.

This. We can probably give you more suggestions if we know what you're eating :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this at first also. What worked for me was replacement. I replaced a lot of things I ate often like chips with alternatives like crisp veggies. I replaced rice at dinner with broccoli. I replaced regular stick butter with margerine and cut back on how much of it I ate. Replaced cooking with oils with steaming. Replaced fried foods with baked. Replaced regular ice cream with frozen yogurts. I tried to do a "replacement" once a week (switch one regular food for something healthier). It's slow, but it worked very well for me.

They key is to replace things you like with things you also like. Don't force feed yourself foods you hate.
  • alexis510
    Options
    Done! I made my diary public.
  • mathgirl27
    Options
    I find that replacing snacks with lower cal options works well. I used to have a serving of Wheat Thins for a snack (130 cal) and have now replaced that with an apple (80 cal). Another great snack is popcorn, which is very low in calories and is pretty filling. I also divide my meals in half and eat one half, then if I'm still hungry 30 minutes later, I eat the other half. I also like to fill up on Powerade Zero and water.
  • BetteEdmonson
    Options
    First thing in the morning, plan what you are going to eat for the day, including snacks. By now you should be able to easily. Then you can see the total of each category BEFORE you eat too much! Very important to plan your meals and stick to it. I've seen a Nutritionist this week and she wasn't concerned about my going over in the protein area but had me change out my categories and add Saturated Fat and Fiber. She said they are more important than just Fat and Cholesterol (for me at least). At the grocery be sure to read all food labels and make wise choices. You'll be amazed how different they can be. Make smart choices and you will see a difference and stay under in your calories. Bette
  • mikebudd
    mikebudd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I also was someone who thought I was eating good until I started keeping track. I was amazed that I was consuming so much on "good for you food". Non-fat milk - use to drink about 3 glasses a day (400 calories). Whole grain breads - a sandwich at lunch and two pieces with supper (4 pieces @ 120 calories - 480 calories) . Non-fat milk and whole grain bread alone was consuming most of my daily allotment.

I also found it important to commit to limiting myself to my calorie goal. It becomes easy to turn down a candy bar in exchange for a grilled salmon steak. Going with mustard in place of mayo on a sandwich allows me to have a snack later. Eating fresh strawberries in place of a piece of apple pie is not only healthier and tastes better, but it says me 300 calories.

My best tips: I discovered some salad dressing that I like and almost always have a salad to start my meal. It fills me up and I eat less of other items. Fresh veggies can't be beat. I love to grill them. Almost no calories, are filling, and they taste good. And my favorite: fruit. Fresh strawberries, kiwi, peaches, apples, mangoes, grapes, cantaloupe, watermelon, etc. The list is endless. Find what you like and keep it handy for snacking. Low cal and good for you.

Another thing - find activities that you enjoy that you do not associate with eating. Like nature - get some friend and go on walks (not only gets you away from food, but ts good exercise). How about playing games with friends or volunteering at events. Whatever you can do to get away from those areas you associate with food.

Also, get someone to help My wife is my aid. She knows when my will power is disappearing and gets me involved in something else (or just tells me to be good).
  • avarielle1215
    avarielle1215 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It seems like you might be eating out a lot based on your log. (I know that it places are not always 100% accurate.) Teh problem with eating out is portions, sauces/mayo, and sides! Try asking for no mayo/sauces on the side and also asking for half your order to be boxed to-go before you even receive it; might help a bit.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    tyr new things.. I found I love oat meal.and can't stand soy milk but love almond and coconut milk. turkey sausage crumbles from Jimmy Dean. Try egg whites, I know I thought they would be tasteless until I tried them. etc
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    The cleaner your food is, the more can eat for the same amount of calories. Try replacing some of your food with more vegetables. Try drinking more water to keep you full. Some of that stuff I'm not sure if it's food from out, but like your vermicelli soup has a ton of calories. Replace that with a cup of veggies and you'll be under your goal automatically. Replace whole eggs with egg whites, that will save some. Replace cow's milk with almond milk. Eat less processed food and that will help a lot.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Eating out is the worst on calories! I can make a turkey melt at home for less than 400, with all the works, but restaurants are 800+ It looks like most of your choices are pretty decent. I think you'd see some difference with cutting your out to eats in half. If the office goes out every lunch, maybe skip a few, but over all I think you are doing great!