How did you feel before your first race?

Options
OK friends for all of you who have already run a Half Marathon, I'm already fidgity and excited and the race isn't even until Sunday!!!!

Replies

• irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Nervous, and quite sure I'd DNF at my first one. I didn't DNF...I'm a marathoner, and doing my next one in a month. This time around? I feel cocky and big-headed about it. Not nervous at all. Just excited.

Good luck on your race - you're going to love EVERY moment of it! Have fun!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    nervous and full of energy. it was so hard to be patient!

good luck! Have fun!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I was a bundle of nerves! I felt doubtful, scared, but excited too.

I volunteered for a couple of the race events before the day of the race and that helped a little. The night before the race I was feeling good. The morning of the race...omg.. i was scared to death. I had done the training, that part was all good. It didn't hit me until I was in the honeybucket/portopotty line and I lost it.. i was nothing but tears.

I think I was just overcome with all kinds of emotion. I was scared but mostly happy because 2 years ago I could not have ran a mile. I kept thinking about being 230 lbs and wishing I could run and there I was 70 lbs lighter running a freakin' half marathon.
    Once the gun sounded and I was going I don't remember a thing except for smiling and waving at all the cameras. I reached mile 4 and hadn't stopped... I cried AGAIN!

There were so many emotions and tears during the race but only because of the pure amazement I had in myself that I was actually doing it. Of course at the end is when I really lost it... my hubby ran with me and he grabbed my hand and said let's go.. we crossed together and I was a blubbering mess from the time he grabbed my hand until the medal was put around my neck.

Embrace it.. every single emotion and have FUN!!!!! I am SO excited for you! I cannot wait to hear all about it. :)
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    I just did my first half marathon on Sunday!!! I had a lot of personal life issues happen in the month before the race, and I almost did not go. I hadn't run more than 5 miles in 3 weeks. But, my friends and boyfriend convinced me that just showing up for it and trying was enough to be proud of. I swear I was SO dang nervous the week before - I was very down on myself and had a lot of negative self-talk. I didn't think I could do it. I would be embarassed if I couldn't finish. I could barely sleep the week before, and ate like a crazy person out of nerves.
    On the day of, I woke up every 3 hours and drank a ReHydrate. When I woke up at 3am, I absolutely told myself I wasn't going. Then, my boyfriend told me:
    "I am so proud of you. You are doing something that 80% of people wouldn't even try. Whether you think you have succeeded or not is one thing, but just know I will be there at the end cheering you on, and sooooo proud of you. Give it your all, and talk kindly to yourself, and you will do fine"
    Best pep talk I ever got. And, it was probably the best 2:20 of my entire life.... except for the giant hug and kiss I got at the finish line!!
    Good luck, Have Fun, think positive thoughts about yourself and your ability. you can do it!!! :) And, you will be SO proud of yourself. Add me if you want!
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options

I volunteered for a couple of the race events before the day of the race and that helped a little. The night before the race I was feeling good. The morning of the race...omg.. i was scared to death. I had done the training, that part was all good. It didn't hit me until I was in the honeybucket/portopotty line and I lost it.. i was nothing but tears.

I think I was just overcome with all kinds of emotion. I was scared but mostly happy because 2 years ago I could not have ran a mile. I kept thinking about being 230 lbs and wishing I could run and there I was 70 lbs lighter running a freakin' half marathon.
    Once the gun sounded and I was going I don't remember a thing except for smiling and waving at all the cameras. I reached mile 4 and hadn't stopped... I cried AGAIN!

There were so many emotions and tears during the race but only because of the pure amazement I had in myself that I was actually doing it. Of course at the end is when I really lost it... my hubby ran with me and he grabbed my hand and said let's go.. we crossed together and I was a blubbering mess from the time he grabbed my hand until the medal was put around my neck.

Embrace it.. every single emotion and have FUN!!!!! I am SO excited for you! I cannot wait to hear all about it. :)

OK I cried just reading your experience!!!! Thank you for all of your support, I can't wait to tell you all about my run. I'm running for a friend who is fighting Leukemia and Mastocytosis and have been fortunate to raise over 7400.00 to help fight leukemia. He and his wife are coming to the race, so I know my emotions are going to be running really high! They are going to have my kids with them to cheer us on, I have a feeling I too will be a blubbering mess:sad: BUt in a really good way:heart:
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Hummm... excited, somewhat prepared, a little nervous, a little worried, proud, determined. I felt many emotions.

You didn't ask for it, but here's some unsolicited advice .... take water from the youngest volunteer at each stop. It will make his/her day. You might have to slow down, but it's well worth the feeling. I've even made parents give the cup to the child so I could take the cup from him or her as I patiently waited. For me, it's about the journey. ENJOY!

Yea you .... getting your HM "V" Card stripped away this weekend. Good for you!
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I surprised myself - I wasn't nervous at all. I was sooo excited. I was fidgety and giggly, just like a pre-teen going to her first boy-girl party, really.
  • Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options

OK I cried just reading your experience!!!! Thank you for all of your support, I can't wait to tell you all about my run. I'm running for a friend who is fighting Leukemia and Mastocytosis and have been fortunate to raise over 7400.00 to help fight leukemia. He and his wife are coming to the race, so I know my emotions are going to be running really high! They are going to have my kids with them to cheer us on, I have a feeling I too will be a blubbering mess:sad: BUt in a really good way:heart:

Ditto!

Can't wait to hear of your experience! Best of luck to all of you marathoners (and you half ones too!).

I saw a funny sticker the other day...someone had 13.1 on the back of the car. As I got closer it read, "Because I am only HALF crazy!" Thought it was cute!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Nervous like what did I get myself into. Just relax and get a good night's sleep and you will do fine :)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I was nervous and a little freaked out. It was at Disney with tons of people but after the race started it was a breeze! Good luck with your race!
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    OK so crazy excited and nervous seems to be a theme......THANK GOODNESS:flowerforyou: Thank you for sharing your stories and for all of your support.