Ways that Do Not Work

Options
After 3 weeks of not losing, staying right where I'm at, I have learned a few things that do not work for me!

~ Eating under cals 70% of the time, and then when weight loss doesn't magically happen, caving in to something like Wendy's.
- Yep, kept me right at my weight when I would have lost!

~ Eating under calories but paying NO attention to my "macronutrients", i.e. whether I am under or over, or whether my cals are all from carbs, or protein, or whatever.

~ Favoring processed "quick" foods over healthy things like whole grains and veggies, even if I am under calories

Anybody have some others about what doesn't work(i.e. what not to do, or neglect doing)? This morning I was about to make some kraft mac n cheese but chose raisin bran instead. I feel better already. One step in the right direction...

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    eating fewer than 1400 calories did not work for me. and i dont' eat back my exercise calories anymore either.
  • kimbk1
    kimbk1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I find that I often eat the same things over and over. This so far has been working for me. I eat for breakfast, peanut butter on 100% whole wheat bread. For lunch, I find creative ways to eat a salad, but I only eat light dressing or put some type of salsa for the topping. For dinner, I will eat whatever is healthy that is under the remainder of my calorie deficit.
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    What does not work for me? Carbs - even the good, complex ones.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Grains and legumes don't work for me.
    I can eat good carbs like veggies and berries and also the carbs in dairy though.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I have found a very interesting relationship with carbs too. WHen I did south beach phase 1, I lost weight soooo fast. BUt I couldn't handle dong it very long because I often felt hungry, weak, dizzy, with headaches. I think that having a *lower* amount of simple carbs and higher of complex, like lots of veggies and GOOD grains.. help me.

Buttered rolls unfortunately are out lol! But its been a while since i tried hot pumpernickel so maybe....
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I cannot do high carb/low fat because I'm always hungry and end up over eating and obsessing about food.

I've also learned that I cannot do super low carb because even though I felt good in the beginning I progressively felt more and more like crap. Then I started craving things like crazy and went off the deep end eating sugar and carbs!

I have to be somewhere in the middle of the two to feel my best and actually keep any momentum in my weight loss. My personality tends to go to extremes but my body disagrees. :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    This is going to be a pretty varied thread, I would say. Because your (OPs) #2 and #3 items worked just fine for me. I lost 40 pounds at a steady 1-2 a week and never once looked at my macros during that time. And I had a cereal bar with every breakfast, Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine frozen meal every day for lunch, 100 cal pre-packed snacks everyday as a snack and 100 cal Hostess cake packs or Skinny Cow for dessert every night. So I basically lived on salty, carby, processed food but stayed at my calorie limit and lost just fine.

But things that don't work for me (but I know do for others):

- Once a week cheat meals
    - Low carb
    - Eating my exercise calories
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Diet without exercise does not work for me. I get too hungry if I eat only enough to lose without exercise.
  • minnow54151
    minnow54151 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Honestly the one true thing that works is not to consider yourself on a diet! You need to consider this your start at becoming healthy for the rest of your life. We need to eat a combination of all the healthy food groups & get in 30 minutes of some form of exercise at least 5 days a week.

Don't deny yourself something that you love, just eat it in moderation or try to make a healthier version of the food you love (which is possible with so many recipes, replace some of the oil with applesauce, replace the eggs with either egg whites or egg beaters, buy low fat instead of full fat...the list goes on & on)

So many of us fail because we get on a program the is so restrictive that a person could never follow it for very long!!!

I know this was suppose to be a thread of what not to do but it just seemed easier & so much shorter to list what we should do! lol
  • joshandstacy
    joshandstacy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I didn't plan out a meal plan ahead of time. I need to lay out my days food before hand and see how that works. (Of course I need to learn more first)