My last day as a smoker!

My last cigarette will be this evening, on my commute home from work. I timed it this way intentionally, knowing full well that being in a car is my biggest trigger to smoking, and I have no intention of being in a car at any point this weekend. I've heard the first 48 hours are the hardest so the beginning of the weekend seems the best bet.

I must say, this is HUGE for me! I started smoking when I was 14 (I know, that really sucks) - that's 32 years! I've never been an adult who doesn't smoke! It's really rather intimidating to remove a part of who you are and replace it with something else. So, here I am...putting this out into the universe...tomorrow I will be a non-smoker.

I've determined, that for me anyway, that this addiction is a whole lot more mental than it is physical. Any time I have thought about quitting before I would go into a panic attack, and that would only make me want to smoke more. Over the last 3 months that I've been working on my weight loss, I've been mentally preparing and replacing the places I smoke, making them the places I exercise as well. I'm ready to remove the smoking part of that equation - and TODAY is the day!

Replies

• congrats! making the decision is the 1st step. i had my last cig 3 months ago after smoking half my life! just take it a day at a time. i used dum dum suckers for the 1st few days. also the patch works. good luck!
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,578 Member
    Awesome!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    I had my last sig on the morning of 10/5...and I smoked over half of my life. I've quit before (many times) and ultimately failed, so this time I'm not making a big deal out of it and just doing it - one day at a time.

I'm using the patch - helps me a lot.

Good luck to you! I know how difficult it is.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Congrats I am so happy for you!!! You Can Do This!!!

If it gets really bad this week end, but some whole cinnamon sticks. Hold them as you would a cigarette, even inhale. It has helped me with the urge sometimes!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    that's fantastic!!!! keep telling yourself no! I'm a non smoker now and non smokers don't smoke! =] way to go that's so great.
  • That's so great! I've never smoked but I'm aware of how addicting it can be. My boyfriend smokes and he keeps saying he is going to quit but so far I haven't seen an improvement. There are things you just have to make your mind up about and accomplish them yourself. Proud of you! Good luck!
  • alyaouellet
    alyaouellet Posts: 21 Member
    This is the best present you can give yourself! I smoked for 20 years and have quit 3 years ago with patches. I wish you the best of luck! One hour at the time, at first, then 1 day at the time...You can do it. It gets better after 3 days...you will see!

A.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    I am so with you! I smoked 2-3 packs a day for 20 years. I went to a healing conference with some lady named Marilyn Hickey who prayed for me. I haven't had one since April 4, 1994!
  • jojowink
    jojowink Posts: 189 Member
    its not easy but you've made a choice to quit and thats awesome!!! You are on your way to a healthier lifestyle and nothing will feel better than that!! I had just finally quit this year after smoking more than half my life (started at 15 and now 33)

remember NOT having one won't kill you. but having one actually will (eventually).

Money can buy many things in this world... but not your HEALTH!!

Stay positive and distracted!!! :) Very best of luck to you!
  • craizydaizy
    craizydaizy Posts: 27 Member
    Congrats and Good Luck!!! I know exactly what you mean when you say your whole identity is tied into your smoking. It is totally a mental thing you have to get over once the nicotine has left your body.
  • I started smoking at 15, one day a friend asked me what the hell I was doing and I stoped. I know it will be difficult. You can do it!
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    That's awesome! Giving up smoking was the best thing I ever did for myself & my daughter.

From your 1st smoke free day see yourself as a non smoker, not a smoker giving up. When you feel a craving, have a drink of water.

I do believe smoking isn't an addiction to the cigarettes, it's an addiction to the habit. Finding something to pass the time when you'd usually have a cigarette helps.

For some inspiration there's a great book called 'Allen Carrs easy way to stop smoking' It's helped a lot of people give up & stay smoke free. Sadly, Allen Carr died of lung cancer :(

Good luck, you can do it!
  • sckrlov
    sckrlov Posts: 74
    Congrats!! You so can do this. I quit smoking last January after 22 years of smoking and quitting with no luck. I have had probably 5 cigarettes in the last year. It's hard but you can do this!! :smile:
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Good for you! I quit 6 months ago cold turkey. It is good that you have prepared yourself mentally. IMO the habit is the hardest part to break! It's funny how much we depend(ed) on those cancer sticks for emotional support! Check out this blog if you need a laugh or some inspiration:

http://www.brummieblogs.com/2006links/diaryexsmoker.html

It really helped me :)
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    That's a great decision!
  • CONGRATULATIONS! and KUDOS to you for speaking as if it's already in the past- that's a HUGE mental PLUS
    for you already

It's been 25 yrs since I quit- and I am now enjoying 5 grandchildren that I might not have been around to see-

MAY I MAKE A SUGGESTION?
    since you said your car is a BIG TRIGGER for you-

Can you ASK someone to clean it out for you- the more you get rid of the smell, the better it will be for you.
    Even better, if you can afford it- have it detailed at an auto place.

Charcoal Briquettes on your floor mats or in small containers often help absorb the odors-

BEST WISHES to you! You are making a GREAT CHOICE!
  • Good Luck, I have that obstacle to climb also. Let me know how you are doing.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Congrats m'dear. . Wish you the best of luck. . For me when I quit. . I used the generic nicoderm CQ from walmart and it helped a lot. .:smile:
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 315 Member
    Yeah!!!
    YOU CAN DO IT!
    Just find a ticker that calculates how much cigarretes and money you will save and you will be amazed from the first few hours.
    Take a look of this :
    You have quit smoking for:
    32 weeks, 0 days, 9 hours and 56 mins.

You have saved:
    962.74 Euros by NOT smoking 4,937 cigarettes!

Pretty cool ah? Specially when I think that in 7 and a half months I would have smoked FIVE THOUSAND CIGARRETES!!!

Also... buy a lot of carrots! (Or ask your doctor for a pill that helps you quit smoking)
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Also... buy a lot of carrots! (Or ask your doctor for a pill that helps you quit smoking)

^this too! Carrots and Celery (not the pill part though :smile:) !