Has this happened to you???

Options
This is my first time posting in here, I decided about 7 months ago that I need to get in better shape. As of today I am down from 278 to 206. I went from a xxl to a large shirt size and from a 42 inch waist to a 33 (i didn't know the came in odd sizes). I know, awesome. The only thing that sucks is when people that haven't seen me in a while ask me what i did to lose all the weight, i respond "diet & exercise". Most people congratulate me on my hard work, BUT there have been a few who just laugh and say "yeah, right" like i've been taking drugs or something... Why is it so hard for some people to believe that we have it within ourselves to make positive changes in our lives??? has this happened to you???

p.s. I plan on posting some before and after pics around thanksgiving...

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Some folks just won't accept the fact that it takes hard work and dedication to lose weight. They'd rather consider an 'easy way'. Let 'em think what they want, just keep doing what you're doing.

But to answer your question, sorta. They ask what I've been doing and I just say "Watching what I eat and exercise" and they just look at me funny as if "That's it?" Well yea, there's not much more to it than that.
  • EfisherMEO
    Options
    it's crazy, they ask "what's your secret"? like it's some big mystery that i stumbled upon....
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    's Funny, I've been getting a lot of that recently at work. I think they expect me to say I've been doing lighter life or weight watchers or atkins or whatever (Well I've done many diets apart from LL which is a tad to rad for me)

And I think what's more shocking is when I have real food for lunch because they expect me to be on salad and rice cakes :laugh:

I'm losing weight by eating less and moving more... really simple formula when you think about it. Happy:
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i'm kind of intollerant of that stuff- so I'd be the jerk who has fun & say " Oh- how did I lose weight? CRACK" but I'm rotten that way. In the meantime- CONGRATS on your hard work- Its not easy- and doing it the right way makes you appreciate it more, makes you a stronger person- and increases the odds of you keeping it off- so have fun with the boneheads who dont believe you- and bask in your success- you have earned it!!
  • hippotx72
    Options
    This is my first time posting in here, I decided about 7 months ago that I need to get in better shape. As of today I am down from 278 to 206. I went from a xxl to a large shirt size and from a 42 inch waist to a 33 (i didn't know the came in odd sizes). I know, awesome. The only thing that sucks is when people that haven't seen me in a while ask me what i did to lose all the weight, i respond "diet & exercise". Most people congratulate me on my hard work, BUT there have been a few who just laugh and say "yeah, right" like i've been taking drugs or something... Why is it so hard for some people to believe that we have it within ourselves to make positive changes in our lives??? has this happened to you???

p.s. I plan on posting some before and after pics around thanksgiving...

First, congrat's on your weight loss--very inspiring to someone like me who still has a long way to go!

In answer to your question, I think the people who say that do so for several reasons: 1) envy; they're trying to downplay your accomplishments 2) can't believe that someone has such self-discipline because they don't have it 3) because the diet industry has done such a great job of convincing many of us (myself included, numerous times in the past!) that we can't lose weight without the magic pill or latest celebrity diet, etc.
  • hippotx72
    Options
    i'm kind of intollerant of that stuff- so I'd be the jerk who has fun & say " Oh- how did I lose weight? CRACK" but I'm rotten that way. In the meantime- CONGRATS on your hard work- Its not easy- and doing it the right way makes you appreciate it more, makes you a stronger person- and increases the odds of you keeping it off- so have fun with the boneheads who dont believe you- and bask in your success- you have earned it!!

Ha.. . I like the CRACK answer. I look forward to using that!
  • EfisherMEO
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone, i've been a lurker in this forum for too long, and am ready to start participating with you all. By the way, what does "NSV" stand for? i'm sure it has to do with something that is awesome, i'm just curious...
  • brasslady1
    Options
    Peope want a quick fix...and eating healthy and exercising are not what they are looking for.......All I can is any thing else is dangerous and harmful to your health
  • jillstoner1977
    jillstoner1977 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I believe the people who say things like that are jealous or trying to make excuses to themselves about why they haven't been able to achieve the same success you have. At my heaviest, I weighed 240 lbs (I am 5'2"). In a 9 month span I lost 120 lbs doing a low carb diet and exercising my tail end off. I don't know how many times I had people come up to me and tell me that So and So had asked them if I was sick or if I was on drugs because I was losing so much weight. This was 9 years ago before weight loss surgeries were very popular or I'm sure that would have been another popular question.

I just laughed and took it as ignorant or jeaous people. No way I was going to let some GOOBER steal my joy over finally being where I wanted to be which was happy with myself and confident for the first time in my life.

Don't let these ridiculous skeptics ruin the happiness and success you have achieved because they probably aren't happy with themselves.
  • EfisherMEO
    Options
    Peope want a quick fix...and eating healthy and exercising are not what they are looking for.......All I can is any thing else is dangerous and harmful to your health

Agreed.... now if i could only just quit smoking.... it's easier for me to eat right and exercise every day than to stop smoking....
  • Nachos88
    Nachos88 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people ask, "Are you okay?" Like I have some kinda disease. And I always answer defensively cuz hey, I worked hard to get where I am. Why should it be a disease that caused the greatest thing i ever did for myself?

No, I'm not sick.
    And no, I'm not on a diet.

I simply am taking care of my body and eating healthy.

AND I admire all of you who took matters into your own hands to make a positive change in your life. :-)
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    First, congrat's on your weight loss--very inspiring to someone like me who still has a long way to go!

In answer to your question, I think the people who say that do so for several reasons: 1) envy; they're trying to downplay your accomplishments 2) can't believe that someone has such self-discipline because they don't have it 3) because the diet industry has done such a great job of convincing many of us (myself included, numerous times in the past!) that we can't lose weight without the magic pill or latest celebrity diet, etc.

I agree with this :)
  • Leobaby
    Leobaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    NSV means Non Scale Victory :)

And congrats on the weight loss! AMAZING!
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    Because if that answer was really that "easy" anyone - themselves included - could do it ***insert sarcasm here***! It takes away their excuse for not weighing what they should.

NSV = Non scale victory
  • cnelady
    cnelady Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It probably is: Non Scale Victory a dieting and weight loss term for noticing your weight loss success off the scale.
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    BTW - I actually had someone ask me one time if my weight loss was due to cancer!!! SERIOUSLY!?!?!
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    NSV means non scale victory- you know- clothes fitting better, rings fitting better- running longer etc.
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. People aren't rude about it, they're just more surprised that I've been able to lose as much weight as I have through diet and exercise. My lady doctor was like, "wait, you didn't have lapband? Seriously?" People are generally really surprised when they find out that I still eat ice cream and other junk foods, it's just that I only eat that stuff once in a while and in much smaller quantities than I used to. But generally after the initial shock people are supportive. Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I get the surpriced and shocked look alot but never anything rude (at least not yet). Congrats on your Loss and doing it the correct way :)
  • EfisherMEO
    Options
    awesome, i figured it had "victory" in there somewhere. Here are a few of mine:

first of all, i get hit on a LOT more than i used to (i work in a bar) one smoking hot young lady told me on a scale of 1-10, i'm a 14!

i'm running now, i used to never run... at all... now i can do up to 6 miles in one go!

pullups!!! never did even 1 before in my life, now i do them every day

people are actually asking me for fitness advice.... awesome...

and last but not least... there are a few people out there who tell me now that they don't remember me ever being overweight... thank God for selective memory!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!