Carbo-Loading...

Options
I've done TONS of research on the topic, but I'm curious to see what regimen you runners follow, prior to a half-marathon, specifically.

How many grams of carbs do you take in per day? How many days do you load for? Is it necessary to load before a half-marathon? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat a little extra pasta or whole wheat bread the couple days leading up to the race, but I usually eat plenty of carbs anyways. I also eat a whole wheat waffle with PB & Honey 2 hours prior to the race, and then slam a gel 15 minutes before the gun.

Here is a link to a article for anyone looking at ONE approach for carb loading (there are many):

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/nutrition/60-second-guide-carb-loading/3961.html
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat a little extra pasta or whole wheat bread the couple days leading up to the race, but I usually eat plenty of carbs anyways. I also eat a whole wheat waffle with PB & Honey 2 hours prior to the race, and then slam a gel 15 minutes before the gun.

Here is a link to a article for anyone looking at ONE approach for carb loading (there are many):

Pretty much this. I'm not so sure you'd need to necessarily carb load for a race this short, but do what feels right for you.
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes, I carb load before a Half Marathon. Anytime I am going to run for more than 90 minutes (and it takes over 90 minutes for a half) I usually incrase my carbs the day before and sometimes two days before. I haven't raced since starting MFP, so I don't know the exact amount of carbs vs. fats and protein, but I know I eat more carbs than usual. I had a hard time when I first started MFP because I thought I had to stay at 1200 calories a day despite the exercise calories. I was tired and my running suffered. Posted a question on here and it was explained to me! Thanks veteran MFPer's :smile:

I have done it both ways, and I will always increase my carbs to at least 50% of my intake for the two days before the race, more if possible. When I haven't, my time and performance suffers.

I'm getting ready to run a half in a few weeks. I'm intersted to see what everyone else does, too.
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Yeah, what he said. Full marathon or longer is a little different story...
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm a cyclist not a runner, but you are looking at 1:30 to 1:45 total time?

If your topped off at the beginning of your run, at about an hour without fuel during your run your stores are depleted.

Up from 45-50% carbs to 60% of total calories are carbs up to and including race day.

I eat at about 90-120 minutes ahead of start time. I may have a little something like half of a Clif bar inside that 90 minute window. I eat a big bite every quarter hour if the race is between 1:30 - 2 hours long. If you do gels, just be sure and drink with them. They are densely caloric.

I'm sure you have a drinking regimen.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Yeah, what he said. Full marathon or longer is a little different story...

Yes, what he said but it's atleast a 3 day carb load for a marathon. A gel every 45 minutes on course too, right before the water station, but I already told you all my stuff..... ;)
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone!
  • adhillman01
    Options
    Search Runner's World. I read an article recently that said 90-95% of your calories should come from carbs for 3 days prior to the race. They even gave a sample menu. It was carbalicious!