[CLOSED GROUP] OCTOBER SHREDDERS mini challenge 10/21/11 !

Options
Hello lovely ladies ! And Happy Friday to all !!!! :heart:

Since I have noticed that a bunch of us are going to be busy today - I will make this Mini Challenge VERY easy for all of us, since this can be done ANYWHERE - with NO excuses......

Yes, it involves exercising - BUT - the area you will be exercising is NOT visible..... YES, we will be doing Kegels today !

We all know what great benefits we could get from keeping our Kegels strong and in shape ! LOL :laugh:

As per Wikipedia's explanation (to keep it as technical as possible here) :
A pelvic floor exercise, more commonly called a Kegel exercise (named after Dr. Arnold Kegel), consists of contracting and relaxing the muscles that form part of the pelvic floor, which are now sometimes colloquially referred to as the "Kegel muscles".

It pretty much consists of contracting the muscle, as if you were holding your p....

I really love the explanation from the Mayo Clinic, though.... :
Kegel exercises strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, which support the uterus, bladder and bowel. You can do Kegel exercises discreetly just about anytime, whether you're driving in your car, sitting at your desk or relaxing on the couch. You can even do Kegel exercises when you're pregnant.

And here is how to do it :
Perfect your technique. Once you've identified your pelvic floor muscles, empty your bladder and sit or lie down. Contract your pelvic floor muscles, hold the contraction for five seconds, then relax for five seconds. Try it four or five times in a row. Work up to keeping the muscles contracted for 10 seconds at a time, relaxing for 10 seconds between contractions.
Maintain your focus. For best results, focus on tightening only your pelvic floor muscles. Be careful not to flex the muscles in your abdomen, thighs or buttocks. Avoid holding your breath. Instead, breathe freely during the exercises.
Repeat three times a day. Aim for at least three sets of 10 repetitions a day. You might make a practice of fitting in a set every time you do a routine task, such as checking email, commuting to work, preparing meals or watching TV.

This is not a contest, no one will win a banner or anything of the sort - but it is just an easy, friendly additional exercise we get for today !

Have an awesome weekend all ! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    I'd never heard the word kegel before - maybe it's an American term. But I have heard of pelvic floor of course! I do tend to squeeze my butt cheeks so must try to get this right!!
  • daniellesb1
    daniellesb1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Tam, if you search Kegel and go to the Mayo Clinic site, they explain EXACTLY how to find this muscle, but I was afraid this post wouldnt stay up if I posted all that here !! Even if it's all technical, you just never know !

Go get em, girl ! :wink:
  • MrsHallum07
    MrsHallum07 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, I myself know the importance of doing Kegel exercises. I am a past independent consultant for adult products. And in my parties I tried to stress the importance of doing Kegels, the benefits are great! :wink:
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Good challenge. Kegels are important even if you haven't ever had a baby. It is best if you do them with an empty bladder.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I just laughed so hard I almost wet myself. Guess I do need these exercises. bahahahahahaha
  • boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Great challenge - I want a KEGEL banner lol
  • daniellesb1
    daniellesb1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hahahaahahah Boncharlie ! I figured a Kegel banner would be BANNED from MFP since they are kinda sticklers on this forum - but how AWESOME would that be......

"I COMPLETELY SQUEEZED THOSE KEGELS" kinda banner...... Or :

"MY KEGELS ROCK!"

I love it how I am sitting here at work, at my desk and no one has a clue of what is going on in this chair ! :laugh:
  • ML1020
    ML1020 Posts: 39
    Options
    I just kegeled at work in my chair...bwahahahahaha!
  • Carrie_D
    Carrie_D Posts: 120
    Options
    I just kegeled at work in my chair...bwahahahahaha!

Me too!!!:tongue:
  • SweetPea482
    SweetPea482 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    great idea danielle...

i never would have thought i would use my ab muscle to do this exercise, but i found myself using them after the 2 and 3rd set...