having a girl's night

Options
so my friend's and i used to have a monthly slumber party thing together and i'm thinking of having another one next week but now i'm on my diet. the usual food is pizza or tacos and then lots of junk food. i want to be able to buy some stuff that i can eat all night that everyone else would like to. like - i COULD get pizza for everyone and I could eat my health food but I don't want to put myself out of the group for my diet. and i also don't want to make them all eat completely healthy. the biggest problem is money. i don't have much of it.

so here we go. i need ideas for fairly healthy, delicious, CHEAP things to eat for a girl's sleepover thing.

i need an idea for a good meal and then some snacks. also i won't have much time to cook because i'll have work right before the party. so let's see what you've got MFP.

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com or hungry girl :)
  • mmmichelle8486
    mmmichelle8486 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    why not tacos? Just don't eat a lot of the shells. I usually make a big taco salad and just shred one soft tortilla over it. Good stuff!!
  • janarmac
    janarmac Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sushi? Depending on what you get, there are some kinds that aren't very healthy and high calories but then others are quite good as long as you go easy on the soya sauce.
    For my friends bridal shower we made fruit kabob's (kiwi, strawberry & pineapple, yumm) or hummus with crackers or naan bread.
    Have fun :)
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    skinnytaste.com or hungry girl :)

This! You will find tons of delicious and easy to prepare foods.

- Also, if you still want pizza, make one of them cheese and have a slice or two so you won't feel deprived. You can alway get some extra cardio in before the party so you will have a few extra calories to enjoy.
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Make taco soup! You can leave it in the crock pot all day if need be and if not it doesnt take long to make and is delicious! You can find it online it is a weight watchers recipe. With Taco soup I use tortilla chips and top it with cheese. Also why not some apples and caramel? Or a make your own pizza night, buy a couple plain doughs (or make your own dough which is cheaper) and then just get some sauce and cheese, it will be cheaper then buying out pizza and you can have each of your friends bring ingredients/toppings! Also popcorn is always a great snack and cheap. I love fruit with dip and it is healthy, but if you get a yogurt or caramel dip then its a party item thats healthy and sweet!
  • EmiVReyes
    EmiVReyes Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can still do pizza, but instead of ordering one you should make them! A lot of stores sell personal sized whole wheat pizza crust and i personally think it tastes better. Just careful on adding a lot of cheese and meat to it cuz they calories will jump. But you can make a delicious veggie pizza and it's not too many calories. Plus if you all pitch in a little it will probably be as much as a frozen pizza or a delivery.

(Another tip a lot of the pizza crust you see in stores says to put oil on the crust before cooking and adding all the toppings. I usually don't, the crust will still get crisp in the oven. It's just a few more calories you can shave off.)
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    that skinnytaste site looks AMAZING. and i love the taco idea. my friend says we could make turkey tacos with whole grain tortillas :D the fruit skewers and popcorn sound like awesome snacks too :]
  • janarmac
    janarmac Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Make taco soup! You can leave it in the crock pot all day if need be and if not it doesnt take long to make and is delicious! You can find it online it is a weight watchers recipe. With Taco soup I use tortilla chips and top it with cheese. Also why not some apples and caramel? Or a make your own pizza night, buy a couple plain doughs (or make your own dough which is cheaper) and then just get some sauce and cheese, it will be cheaper then buying out pizza and you can have each of your friends bring ingredients/toppings! Also popcorn is always a great snack and cheap. I love fruit with dip and it is healthy, but if you get a yogurt or caramel dip then its a party item thats healthy and sweet!

Yummmm now I want apples and caramel haha
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If your friends don't share your views on food, they might not appreciate having to eat healty. Best to provide both
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Try this! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/23/want-to-eat-an-entire-bowl-of-cookie-dough/

I made it last weekend and it is so yummy. Tastes just like cookie dough, but without all the bad stuff.
  • krose9489
    Options
    You can still totally make tacos and just make a few substitutions to have them be healthier. :) Use ground turkey instead of ground beef, don't put cheese or sour cream on yours (or not a lot, at least...) and you can use the low-carb tortillas while your friends use regular ones. This way you're not left out of the group, your friends aren't being forced to eat salads and everybody's happy!

As far as something to snack on ALL night, I can't really come up with anything besides pickle spears since they are so low in calories...
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com--check out her buffalo chicken dip. i take it to every party--it's filling (i dip celery sticks) but i've also done baked tostito's or even pita chips. let me just tell you--it is a crowd pleaser!! EVERYONE asks me to bring it to their party. in fact, i'm going to one tonight, and a friend begged for it--but i made gina's (skinnytaste her her blog) mummy cupcakes instead. we call her buffalo chicken dip crack dip, tha'ts how good it is! PS. i instead of the sour cream, i use plain greek yogurt...and you can also get a rotissery chicken pre cooked from the grocery story to put in there. iv'e done that in a pinch--or used canned chicken if you REALLY get desperate.

also, you could do make your own pizza...and have you could buy whole wheat crust ofr yourself (boboli makes mini ones now) and put as many veggies as you want on there...or make little english muffin pizza's.

you could do taco's...but do soft taco's w/ whole wheat tortilla's and load up on veggies, black beans, etc.

i forgot what else you said you usually have...but i've been doing this for years so i always bring something to a party that i know is healthy and then i eat a little (or none) of everything else. gina makes a killer chicken chili that i just made--sooo good over rice! and she made it in the crock pot so you could throw that in before work and have it ready. i've also made her chipotle barbacoa, lime rice, and corn salsa and it was KILLER.

as far as dessert/snacks go...you could have a fruit or veggie plate, light popcorn, pudding snacks...i only cook off of skinnytaste.com now so most of my recipes are hers...sorry! she makes these killer low fat chocolate chip cookies...and i also just made her mummy cupcakes (they have chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, and pumpkin in them). i've never made them before but they sure do look cute! the batter tasted pretty good :-P so it hink they'll be ok.

also--if you want to do easy cupcakes, or a cake, you can take any cake mix and throw in a can of soda (just make sure it's light w/ light...ie. funfetti w/ diet sprite) and bake away--taht's it! no egg, no oil, nothing. then you can frost away...my best friend made me funfetti cupcakes w/ diet sprite (b/c i asked) for my birthday and put a little frosting on top--perfect portion control and no one was the wiser :)

oh--gina has this spinach artichoke dip i'm dying to try but haven't made it yet--it looks incredible. if you make it, yo'ull have to let me know how it goes! hope this helps :)
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    these are all really great ideas. i might try one of the chip dips from the site with multi grain tortilla chips. i can make it before work and have it all ready and make the tacos and a healthy dessert with my friends. :] you guys are so helpful! :D
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you really need pizza, try a thin crust with a couple of veggie toppings. You can eat 1/4 of a medium with relatively low calories.
  • much2gain
    Options
    Dinner with friends is always hard.

If you like the soup idea, they make some great Tortilla Soup mixes in a bag; about $4/bag and each bag serves around 6 I think. Add it to the crockpot with water or cook on the stove and you are good to go. I've done them with chicken and without. Both ways are good.

You could do breakfast for dinner and make omelets for everyone or a quiche. Lots of protein and veggies if you do it right (egg whites and little to no cheese)

If you need a quick good side, roast or grill veggies. My favorite is a head of cauliflower chopped up, tossed in a tablespoon of olive oil, add some salt and pepper and stick under the broiler. It will take a while but keep an eye on it because once it starts to crisp/darken/burn, it will go quickly. Brussel sprouts are great this way too (fresh - cut in half)

I saw a great idea for caramel apples.. but with grapes. You could get apples, grapes, banana slices.. whatever you like. Put them on sticks and everyone can make their own. Dip fruit in caramel (get the fat free or whatever is ok), dip in nuts (or whatever else you might like) and enjoy.

I just found something yummy today; Kraft cinnamon bun flavored and chocolate mint flavored marshmallows. $1.50 a bag and you could have some fun hot chocolate after dinner. Swiss Miss makes a 25 calorie "diet" hot cocoa that is really really good.

Popcorn is always a great treat. Keep it air or light microwave. Spice it up with cinnamon sugar or pumpkin spice or salt & pepper or just spray butter and salt. I personally like mine with spray butter, dill and garlic powder. It's like garlic bread without the "bread". Yum!

If you drink, keep it simple and minimal. Those puppies add up fast in calories.
  • blakegreen
    Options
    If your friends don't share your views on food, they might not appreciate having to eat healty. Best to provide both

^^agree^^
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Make your own pizza! My friends used to do this sometimes. At the grocery store you might be able to find pre-made pizza crust (or maybe find a recepie online to make an easy one) Then you put whatever you want on it. On your pizza you could go light on the cheese & heavy on the veggies. Add pineapple... I'm making myself hungry... Plus, actually making the pizzas would give you girls something to do :) Good luck!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Haha! Thought I was being all original with the make your own pizza idea... then I went back and read what other people wrote. Go me lolol.
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Have a taco or a slice of pizza (make sure to get ones with tons of veggies) and then for snacking have a veggie platter or two, veggie chips (or make your own), along with the typical stuff you would normally get.

Btw, popcorn (unsalted/unbuttered) is also really good and you can spice it up any way you want. Good luck.

The key is moderation. You can eat some "bad" stuff some of the time. Don't let your new lifestyle overtake your life :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Make your own pizza buy buying a package of Molinaro's ready-made whole wheat crust (2 in a package for about $4) and a bunch of veggies (broccoli and mushrooms are the cheapest right now, peppers are cheapest at Asian grocery stores at 60-99 lb). For less than $10 you can make 2 large pieces and then you can reduce the cheese and pile on the veggies onto your portion so that you have less slices and less fat overall.

Have everyone bring their fav candy to share so no additional cost to you and then you can have a few pieces of everything BUT you should make low-fat popcorn for <$3 at 100 cals for 1 giant bowl ($3 is for the entire box of microwave popcorn single bags).