falling off the wagon?!!!

Options
So ,,I seem to fall off the wagon from time to time. Maybe I gain 2-4 pounds . I am not sure if its a PMS thing or am I just getting lazy. I would love to hear from you all about how you restrain yourselves in times of weakness and those immediate gratification needs occur. I believe its a craving more than a "I deserve this " kinda thing. It is especially difficult to avoid these evils at night before bedtime. Thanks for your inputs.:smile:

Replies

• Sissy4EverX3
    Options
    I roll with the punches. Sometimes I fall off for a day, sometimes an entire week. Sometimes I don't realize I've done it. Either way, once I do realize it, I dust my booty off and get right back on.. this weight ain't ganna take itself off!!
  • cayzweaver
    cayzweaver Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think what works best for me is to plan my "feasts." I read somewhere long ago that if you eat what you are supposed to 80% of the time you can eat what you want the other 20%. So I allow myself two meals a week that I can have virtually anything I want (within reason!) Having those two meals a week to look forward to and reflect upon really helps me. As far as exercise goes, if I'm waffling about going to the gym, I promise I'll just put my shoes and gym clothes on. Once that's done, everything else seems easy!
  • WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It happens.

I'm under a whole lot of stress right now, and I know that stress-eating is one of my things. Now and then (such as the first half of this week), I give in. Last night, my wife and I had dinner with some friends who make the most amazing homemade pizza. Yeah ... blew my numbers yesterday. It might be a bad week.

Just get back on, and you'll recover.That's my plan, anyway.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Planning is great for some splurge moments because you can adjust the rest of your days food and activities to help balance it all out. But true spur of the moment cravings are not evenly remotely predictable or plan-able. I check myself when they hit, do I really want it? If I can have a glass of water and then try doing something else and forget the craving then it wasn't a real one. If the distraction doesn't help I will allow myself a little of what I'm wanting to take the edge off. If I try to ignore those cravings it gets really hard not to binge.

I also have munching trouble at night right before bed, a cup of tea seems to really help with those.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My blog this week sort of pertained to this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/russellma

I've been on and off the wagon a lot over the last 5 years, and the end result was that, prior to finding MFP, I weighed just as much as I did the first time I hopped on!

This time , I've finally learned that this isn't a diet, but a lot of small choices that each have a consequence. For me, it's either packing the pounds back on or "paying" for my poor choice by exercising myself half to death! When I keep that in mind, I can then decide if the falling off is worth the price.

You might want to consider what the consequences are for you when you fall off the wagon, and then, each time you're faced with a tempting decision, decide if it's worth the price.

Good luck to you!
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    Just dust myself off and get back on my pony :)

**** happens, just try again!