Need help with big meals that are cheap please!!!

Options
Fairysoul
Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
So my mother in law is watching her 5 grandkids beacuse my sister in law had emergency surgery. She doesn't have much money for food but I really need some good ideas how to feed 6 people on a tight budget, keeping in mind that the 3 boys eat as much as my husband would!!

Replies

• shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have 5 children of my own 4 of them being boys. You can get a roast cut it in small pieces with potatos and carrots and make a stew, filling warm and can be done for about $12
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Pasta?
  • paperpromisesx3
    Options
    Pasta. A lb is typically 99 cents and jarred sauce if you go that route would be a few bucks .. really is cheap and and good for a lot of people
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Shepard's pie. Beef, potatoes and veggies - fills you up and keeps you full. Plus, it makes a lot of servings. My dad used to make this for us when we were young - there were 6 people total (4 kids and my mom and dad). We always had more than enough to fill us up AND have leftovers.

My dad always bought the cheaper ground beef, bag of white potatoes and frozen veggies to make it.

My parents used to make spaghetti a lot too (I hate spaghetti to be honest)

My mom would make us breakfast for dinner too - french toast, pancakes, scrambled eggs, etc (not all at once... lol)
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    Thank you!!! You got me thinking now I just needed a boost!!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Something with rice and/or beans is always a good filler.

Maybe a jambalaya, beans&rice, pasta (spaghetti)?

Try to stay away from slabs of meat (chicken breast, steaks, etc) and try to find recipes that have the meat incorporated in so they eat less and you can fill it with cheaper fillers.
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    I'm not sure what country you are in but in the UK it's always the family favourites that are the cheapest, the big hearty foods.

Pasta in a homemade tomato sauce - Bag of shop value pasta/spaghetti, two medium onions, garlic, 2 cans of value chopped tomatoes, sprinkle of mixed herbs.

Baked Potatoes with Baked beans and Cheese.

Chilli (mince, onions, garlic, kidney beans, chilli powder), and homemade wedges/boiled rice
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    Such great ideas, thank you!
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta (higher protein and fiber to keep them all full longer)
    Canned diced tomatoes
    Ground beef
    Garlic powder
    Italian herbs
    Parmesan cheese

Make a good old fashioned meat sauce and put it over the pasta. Easy, quick, filling, and pretty cheap for the amount of calories it provides. Add some bread toasted and topped with melted butter and garlic powder, and they'll be satisfied before you know it.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    tator tot casserole

1 lb ground beef (cooked)
    Mix in a casserole dish with:

1 family can of cream of chicken
    2 cans french cut green beens

layer with a bag of tator tots and bake until tots are golden brown and crisyp then top with chredded cheddar cheese!

been a family fav for 20 years :)
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    tator tot casserole

1 lb ground beef (cooked)
    Mix in a casserole dish with:

1 family can of cream of chicken
    2 cans french cut green beens

layer with a bag of tator tots and bake until tots are golden brown and crisyp then top with chredded cheddar cheese!

been a family fav for 20 years :)

That's tater tot hot dish if you live in the midwest..

Making soup or chili is always a money saving way to make big meals.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Easy Inexpensive HomeMade Chili that will easily feed 6 people 2-3 meals

8 cans of beans (kidney and black) rinsed and drained
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    1 pound ground meat (turkey or beef)
    1 large onion finely diced
    1/4 cup chili poweder and 1 tablespoon cumin OR 2 packts McCormicks Chili Seasoning
    3-6 coups Beef stock if you have it (but you can also just use water)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Brown your meat
    Combine all ingredients in a crock pot. You will need just enough stock/water to cover the ingredients. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Or in a soup pot on the stove for about 1.5 hours stirring occaisionally.

Optional add ons;
    Diced jalapeno
    Diced bell Pepper
    Minced Carrots and Zuchini for filler
    Put it on top of Rice for a filling meal
    Use it as the "meat" for tacos

When you are down to about 4 servings pour it into the bottom of a pie plate. Make up a batch of cornbread batter. Pour the batter on top and cook the whole thing based on the batter's directions. Makes a great side dish or lunch. Will easily stretch that 4 servings of chili to feed 6 or 8....
  • smily_001
    smily_001 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This is a easy recipe that is for a crackpot and feeds 8.. It's good.. I add taco seasoning to the hamburg to add a little more taste..

http://halfmysize.com/index.php/recipes/slow-cooker-beef-stroganoff
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    soups
    spaghetti
    chili
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Breakfast foods! Like whole wheat pancakes, fried eggs, ham, oranges, apples as a side. Steamed white rice, fried ground beef (seasoned or non, worchesterchire sauce works great with a dash of soya sauce), green peas, kernel corn, sea salt, butter, black pepper to season and stirred altogether is a big hit with kids/boys I've noticed.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    buy whole chickens and break that down, instead of buying chicken breasts/thighs etc. then you can also use the carcass to make chicken stock

chicken enchiladas

tacos

frittatas

chicken carbonara

chicken tortilla soup

chili

pancakes/waffles

hamburgers/hot dogs

stir frys
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    Wow! a big thanks to all of you!! I am so glad I have you all!
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    Thought of another!

Cheese and potato pie with beans/peas.

Layer up dish with mashed potaoes and cheese and bake until crisp on top and gooey in the layers.

Childhood FAVE!
  • Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    All the above are great ideas. If you can make dough you can make dumplings, pot pies, stuffed biscuits, pizzas, many number of things for pennies a lb (Well, if not pennies, not too many bucks anyway.)

Pasta
    Soups
    Stews
    Casseroles
    Meatloaf
    Shepard's Pie
    Cottage Pie
    Hmm, they even have meal stretchers....hamburger helper and the like.
    Rice dishes
    Potato dishes
    Sandwiches

I checked out the above on Google and there were several recipes for each. Hope this helps.