why is nothing happening??

Options
ok so i measure my food count my calories and fat and all that good stuff, workout... maybe not as much as i should but still its something, and i am not losing anything.... got off to a great start lost 2 lbs my 1st 5 days and that was a month ago and i have only lost 1 lb since then:( but gained that last lb back , what gives....

the site suggests i eat 1200 calories a day, and i have been around 1000 most days and it suggests 45 g fat and i have stayed below that as well, what the heck i am doing wrong???? i have done way better on drinking water, and majorly cut back on pop went from 3 cans a day to 1 can every other day if that.

i understand it has only been a little over a month but i see everyone else losing weight every weigh in and i just stay the same.
and according to the bottom of my food chart everyday it says "if u ate like this everyday u would weigh ___" should have lost 10 lbs by now listening to that thing.

and before anyone lectures me or gets bent out of shape i am not a nutritionist nor am i a trainer, i am doing this on my own the only guidance i have is from mfp so if anyone has advice i would appreciate it, thanks guys :flowerforyou:

Replies

• khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    maybe try eating the whole 1200 calories 1000 is far too less to keep you going you will eventually go into starvation mode making weight loss harder! hope this helps!
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    if you share your food diary, people can see what's up and likely give you some helpful advice.:smile:
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    staying under 1200 in eating cals brings you in a starvation mode and your body is efficiently doing nothing. Eat all and half of the calories you work out back, that worked for me and a lot of my friends. Make sure you drink enough water and you should see results.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    if MFP is suggesting 1200, you need to stay as close to that as possible. Do you also exercise? If you do, you need to eat back those calories as well. Good luck!
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options

the site suggests i eat 1200 calories a day, and i have been around 1000 most days and it suggests 45 g fat and i have stayed below that as well, what the heck i am doing wrong???? i have done way better on drinking water, and majorly cut back on pop went from 3 cans a day to 1 can every other day if that.

The fact that you are eating only 1000 calries could be the cause, your body needs calories to stay alive, if you dont give it enough, it will start going into starvation mode, which means you metabolism will slow down to a crawl. and are you eating back your exercise calories? Meaning if you burn 500 calories while exercising you should be eating all if not most of those back.

Also if you open your food diary it might be easier for us to diagnose the problem
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Well....for me it took almost 6 weeks of consistently eating correctly and exercising to start seeing movement on my scale...which was this week. Your body needs to get the message that you are gonna keep doing the same thing and eventually it realizes what it needs to do. Trust me, last week I was saying the same thing you were! Just keep going and trust that it is gonna happen! I do not recommend eating less than 1200 calories....like everyone else has said that can lead to your body going into starvation mode....meaning it will start storing every calorie you give it because it is not sure when you will eat again. Try eating more often, meal, snack, meal, snack, meal,snack. Eating every 2.5 to 3 hrs....then your body doesn't have the dramatic insulin spikes that cause your body to think it needs to store your food. I am happy to help you need anything. My hubby is a personal trainer and that is obviously a big help!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Definitely try eating at least 1200 calories, maybe more. If you eat too little you won't lose weight. Also, make sure you're getting enough good fats. Eat avocados, use olive oil, etc. Your body does need fat, so don't restrict that too much. And try getting in more exercise. I know that I don't lose any weight unless I exercise.
  • larat71
    larat71 Posts: 60
    Options
    I completely agree with the previous post. 1000 calories a day is WAY too low. If your body is not getting enough food, it will begin to store the fat, calories, etc that you give it (this is the starvation mode) and you will NOT lose weight. Go ahead and eat the full 1200 a day and see what happens. (And if you would like another support buddy, feel free to add me!) Good luck:)
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    That is super frustrating! Luckily all the skills you have developed over the last month will help you in the months to come it is definitely not a loss!

2 things come to mind ---just my thoughts

1. I definitely agree that you could be eating too little and putting yourself at risk of conservation/starvation mode making it significantly harder to loose weight

2. If you have the means i.e. insurance you should do a blood test. Basic hormone imbalances and make it significantly harder to loose weight.

hope it gets better soon
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Don't look at 1200 calories as a maximum, but as a goal. Try to be within 100 calories on either side of that goal. If you workout, you should try consuming those calories.

Don't give up. You are doing well and I bet that you are losing inches, if not pounds.

I don't know how much weight you have to lose, but it takes time. Be patient with yourself.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Yup. Eat more.
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I hadn't been able to drop weight for forever until I came here. I read about monounsaturated fats helping with weight loss and had decided I would keep track of them. I upped my calories (cannot do 1200, I feel like crap), made sure I was getting 28 grams of the monos a day at minimum, set fiber for at least 25 grams and made sure I was getting at least 8 glasses of water a day. My last week has been horrid and I haven't been sticking to it. I have lost weight, and even with the mess that this week has been I haven't gained any back. I think theres a lot more to losing weight than just calories in and out. You may want to try something new and see if that helps. By the way, I haven't felt like I'm starving yet :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You should really try eating a little more. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but a lot of people, myself included, have had very very slow weight loss on low calories, and much better weight loss on more.

Years ago, I tried to lose weight and only ate about 800 calories a day. I believed in the old "calories in vs calories out" saying and that eating less would give me better results. My progress was so slow, and I felt so lousy during it, that I gave up and went back to my normal way of eating. I would have rathered weigh a little more and be able to eat what I want than feel deprived and hungry to be a little smaller.

This time around, I wasn't concerned with losing weight, because I was convinced it wouldn't happen for me anyway. So I only cared about my fitness and being able to run as my primary goal. But as it turns out, the weight started to come off. I paid more attention to the numbers, and saw that even though I tried to set my goals to lose 2# a week, I couldn't lose more than 1.3 by the math, and in reality never lost more than 1# a week except when I had a stomach flu. I figured, "If I'm only going to lose a pound a week (which was FINE!), I might as well eat more to get that pound a week." I upped my calories, and then averaged about 1.5# a week! Sometimes more, sometimes less, but I always lost more weight on 1400-1500 calories (plus eating my exercise calories) than I did on 800 and even 1200.

Give it a try for a few weeks and see how it goes. While eating more, I never felt deprived or hungry, and always had a ton of energy. This is the only time I ever tried to lose weight and succeeded... to the point where I had to say, "Ok, that's enough. I gotta stop losing now!" :smile: And I credit to eating enough.
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Like most people in this forum I suggest eating more.

Try eating at 1200 for a few weeks and then if you still do not lose weight try upping your calorie intake.

When your body realises it has sufficient energy on board it no longer needs to hold on to your fat reserves.

Think about how fit and athletic people eat. Do they starve themselves? Generally not because then their performance would be awful. Your body cannot run well if it is being starved.

Do not be afraid to eat more and the whole fat is bad for you thing is more or less a myth. Eat healthy fats in moderation and actually read up on the research.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not viewable so I can't help with your food intake. I can tell you that you are probable putting your self in starvation mode. Only eating 1000 calories a day is very low especially if you are exercising.

Here are some things to look at:

1. What's your sodium intake?
    2. Are you drinking enough water?
    3. If you are exercising, are you recording your exercise AND eating your exercise calories?
    4. What are you eating? Fruits, Veggies, lots of protein or lots of processed foods.

Try reducing your sodium intake (less processed foods). Drink lots of water. Eat your exercise calories and stay above 1200 calories a day. Try adding protein before and after your exercise. All of this will help.
  • ambekat
    Options
    Ok, a few tips, first of all, I don't know what you're eating in those calories, but please remember to feed the muscle, and burn the fat. The more muscle tone you have, the faster the calories will burn. So...eat mostly fruits and veggies, lean proteins, like chicken and fish, and eat them cooked in a healthy manner, like grilled, broiled, baked, etc. Lowfat cottage cheese is also a good source of protein and calcium! Eggs are a great food. Just eat the whites if you can, it's healthier cholesterol wise that way. Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day, water helps metabolize fat, and exercise daily, for atleast 20 mins, five days a week you can, three at the very least! That is pretty much what you have to do to really see results. I exercise with Denis Austin. She has current up to date work outs every Monday Morning on Lifetime, on a show called The Balancing Act. She is on there every other day of the week, giving lots of advice and tips. She give very helpful and wonderful advice! You can dvr the show, and rewind and repeat the work out through out the week. That is what I do. Also, one of her older shows when she was younger is on the altitude channel very early in the morning. If you have direct tv, that channel is 681. Lifetime is 252 on Direct Tv. Hope this helps. Also, remember to strive for five, that is eat five servings of fruit and veggies daily. It helps to have a fruit serving with breakfast, and a fruit and veggie at lunch, and also at supper. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know. I am happy to do what I can! I have lost 46 lbs. following Denise's advice in 6 months time before. Then I had two babies, and now I'm back at it again. Good luck!
  • HouseTargaryen
    Options
    As others have said, definitely keep your calories at 1,200 on the days you don't make it to the gym, and maybe a couple hundred more for light to moderate workouts.

One reason your scale might not be moving is water weight/sodium intake. It is really insane how much your weight can fluctuate!! If you didn't drink much water before you may weigh slightly more due to simply being hydrated constantly.

I would also make an effort to increase the time you spend being active. You can lose weight by just eating less, but working out is where you see the greatest benefit to your health and general feeling of well being. Even if it's just a 30 minute walk after dinner or in the mornings, it is a start and I'd venture to say you will be wanting to do more and more as you have more and more success!

Finally, be sure you are tracking evvvverrrryytthing. Sometimes I get lax with my tracking and a cookie here and a brownie there can add up a lot faster than you think!! :tongue:

I have definitely been in your shoes before and it is sooo frustrating when the scale doesn't budge after weeks of hard work and dedication!! It may take a couple of months of tweaking until you get the results you are looking for... Don't give up!! :flowerforyou:
  • branflake5
    Options
    thanks everybody, i will try to eat more although it makes me feel really guilty if i do. and some of u suggested i make my diary visible (it is visible to my firends but i will change it so everyone can se it, maybe that will help) thanks again
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I personally FORBID you from feeling guilt over eating more. :flowerforyou:

Do you feel guilty when you need to put gas in your car? You're refueling and it's important.
  • HouseTargaryen
    Options
    Absolutely yes.

edit: bah.. I meant to quote the post above lol