How bad a slip up have i made??

Options
Ok so this is my first week. Have done well upto today. Am back home visiting mum and dad. Today i jad fruit salad for breakfast (slice of melon, 2 slices pineapple, half an apple and some grapes) and a cereal bar, lunch we ate out shared a brie and caramelised onion sandwich(fresh made bread not too thick) and half a beef salad, dinner mince and gravy with veg and a small amoubt of oatmeal pudding.....wouldnt be too bad but took a bad turn 4pm felt really tired and rather than busy myself i gave into temptation and ate a bowl of dry cereal (sounds weird but i love snackibg on dry fruit and fibre!!) and a handful of plain nuts. I am so angry with myself because i knew i shouldnt be doing it....cals were tight jst with 3 meals and i knew it would push me over! I know it doesnt sound like the end of the world but i am soooo gutted with myself :(

espc as the whole point of this effort is to get into wedding dress and was out doing wedding shopping today and couldnt stop thinking about how good itwill be to feel attractive in my dress!! Angry angry angry!!

Only plus i havent eaten anything since tea.

Just needed to vent

Replies

• gierej
    gierej Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. We all have bad days. Just start over.
  • angel013183
    angel013183 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad about it. Just get back on track tomorrow and I bet that little slip up wont effect your progress. We would be kidding ourselves if we all didnt have days like those. :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    as far as slip ups go, that one doesn't sound bad. its not like you stopped at mcdonalds.
  • ambie443
    Options
    tomorrow is a new day, dont worry about the past, cause you cant change it. you can only make tomorrow better
  • estinson79
    Options
    You really didn't do too bad. I just ate 3 ghirardeli chocolates over here!
    You can always do some exercise, quick aerobics or a light jog/walk and burn off some of those calories. I usually do that when I slip up and feel bad about myself. It will burn some of those calories AND boost your mood :)
  • Davis1818
    Davis1818 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It could be that initially slip ups are part of the process. Look at the research and what it indicates about the number of attempts people must make to stop smoking. It is similar in that you might slip up while you are on your way to getting it right (or right for you)
  • jcandidi1
    jcandidi1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The number one rule... don't beat yourself up. You are your worst enemy... and you are more likely to fail the more you beat yourself up. If you have time do some cardio... try to burn what you went over. If you don't have time start over tomorrow! Don't hold guilt. Just take control the next time you eat.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    that is nothing. if you feel that badly about it take a quick walk to burn some of it off
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    It is what it is...and at least it isn't a whole pizza or worse an entire gallon of ice cream. So just move on and keep your focus on what you have achieved so far and what you will continue to achieve.
  • lindy1608
    Options
    Thank u guys. Think this forum is really going to help me get through this....hopefully with a positive outcome!
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    How bad a slip up have you made?

You have made a bad slip up. Really bad. Nobody else on this forum would ever do anything at all like that. We never go over our daily calorie limit. We are all perfect. :smile:

I know this sounds crazy, but if I think I am going to go over my calories, I try to think of some exercise I can do to redeem myself. :smile: Either cleaning the house, or taking the dog for a walk. Need I say that my dog is very much in favour of MFP?

However this isn't always an option, and it isn't always safe to go out at night (my dog is a very fit German Shepherd, and I personally haven't hade any trouble whatever time of the day I walk!).

I don't think your "slip up" is too bad. Where possible, just try to keep an eye on your calorie usage during the day, and try to plan ahead. I'm a diabetic, so I have to do this, otherwise my blood sugar can get too low.

Tomorrow is another day. Just move on towards your goal ...
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Huh, interesting. My bad days involve me eating entire pizzas (for one meal). All a matter of perspective I suppose.
  • lkblazek
    Options
    Not too bad. Just get back on track. We all mess up sometimes. My day was yesterday. Today I'm right on track and trust me if I can do it,, so can you. Just take it one meal at a time.
  • lindy1608
    Options
    I realise this isnt the worst in the world and there will prob be worst to cone just disappointed i did it in my first week :(
  • scrapbookdiva2
    Options
    tomorrow is a new day! The trick is to not get hungry. Start with a mn of 30 G of protein each day. Egg whites ( 6) or an egg with 4 egg whites scrambled or with some veg as an omlette and maybe a rice cake with a TBSP of Peanut Butter is a good option. Carbs although tempting, burn off quick and will not keep you satisfied.

Then ensure you have a small snack 100-150cals mid day ( around 10)

Then lunch, try salad with a half a sandwich, or put meat on the salad. Soups are also an awesome alternative in the cooler months! Chili is another good one. I make a large pot and freeze portions!

Then another light snack 100-150 cals
    try a hard boiled egg, or humus and veg, or maybe a rice cake with tuna, or sometimes I make up chicken salad or egg salad and have a portion on a rice cake or a small salad or even lettuce wrap. Also, there are many protein bars and drinks on the market for being on the run. Read lables and try and avoid too much sugar as this will give you cravings.

Dinner I try and have a lean meat and a large portion of steamed veg., salad or soup I avoid carbs as much as possible at dinner, because I enjoy snacks at night and like to have the extra calories available for then!

Then a light snack - I usually have carbs then!

You can't win against biology so try not to let yourself get to the point of a grumbly tummy! Another trick is stick to water or at least AVOID artificial sweetners! they make you crave carbs as your body sends out a rush of insulin preparing to burn the sugar in your system, but there is nothing to burn causing you to crave carbs to replace the sugar your body was expecting! A little trick I learned from my nutritionist! It so works! If you must have an artifical sweetner, just be sure you have some sugar in your system to burn! I sometimes mix in some fruit juice if I am looking for something sweet in my drinks! or make fruit juice ice cubes! You quickly will come off your craving for the sweet drinks anyway and learn to appreciate water and more savory flavors! Even with alcohol, I now drink mostly soda and vodka or soda and malibu! or spritzers! just to cut the sweet!

Good luck and remember, this is a new skill you are learning! for the first week I did not even try to stay within my calories, I simply got used to the idea of tracking and getting everything in! Do it at the time you eat it as your memory is only 70% accurate I used to carry around a notebook until I got the app on my iphone!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I realise this isnt the worst in the world and there will prob be worst to cone just disappointed i did it in my first week :(

i'm curious as to how much exactly you ate over your calculated maintenance. regardless it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things if you get back on track tomorrow
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I ate off spoons for the extremely fattening frito bars I'm making for a party. I made sure the spoons had a lot on them too...really mad too. I still have to face the party..... I will make sure to fit in some calorie burning tomorrow....
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    as far as slip ups go, that one doesn't sound bad. its not like you stopped at mcdonalds.

Lol That's what I was thinking! At least it wasn't fast food or some major chocolate binge!!
  • Dallyhi
    Dallyhi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it!
    Before you started this journey, the one we share with you, you quite likely wouldn't have even given any of it a second thought. Today, you are thinking about it. It's a process, a long and slow one. So forgive yourself. Keep going and it will all be rewarding in the end! Promise.
    I've been on this adventure for just a few days over 10 months, don't dwell, keep on keeping on!