NSV That probably means nothing to normal people

Options
So today, I decided to try a new flavor of cappucino. I took a couple sips and decided that I did not like it. Usually, I would have drank it anyway, or at least most of it, figuring since I paid for it I should drink it. But not today! I poured out down the drain.

A few hours later I filled up my car with gas and while I was inside paying I saw a new flavor of pop and decided that since I hadn't drank the cappucino that it would be fine to have a soda. Again, I took a couple drinks and did not like the taste. So I threw that away, too!

And the big NSV is that it did not bother me at all to do this! I feel really proud that I was able to not once, but twice, throw away a calorie filled indulgence that brought me no pleasure. I realize that the pleasure of consuming things that I did not like the taste of was not really pleasure from eating, but an avoidance of the feeling of deprivation that I feared would set in if I did not finish it.

Next step: Being able to say "no" to something that I actually enjoy eating/drinking after only a small portion.

Replies

• melelana
    melelana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I used to do this a lot too. Just eat stuff because it's there. I find that since calories now have actual value to me, it's easier to say no. Good luck on your next goal! That's a toughie!
  • kgraham101
    kgraham101 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! That is awesome!!!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    That's great! You are changing more than just your dress size!
  • AmDurling
    Options
    Good Job. I understand where you are coming from. I hate to waste and would normally consume it as well. Way to go! Keep up the good work. :drinker:
  • NinjaTurtleDude
    Options
    To one ninja to another that an awesome nsv
  • divades
    divades Posts: 145
    Options
    Next step: Being able to say "no" to something that I actually enjoy eating/drinking after only a small portion.

This is a goal of mine too!! Congrats on your NSV!!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I understand this completely! I rarely buy Starbucks coffee. Once or twice a year, usually when I do Christmas shopping at Target, I stop on the way out and treat myself to a huge cappucino. Last time I did it? It tasted burnt. I dumped it.

This just shows your taste is getting more refined. You are thinking before ingesting stuff. Good job!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I used to eat everything I bought, regardless of how I felt. It's a huge step to stop when there is food left!
    GRATZ!
  • KristieGonzales
    Options
    I was having lunch with a friend yesterday at an all-you-can-eat pizza place (believe it or not). She got a piece that she didn't really like and I just said, "Well, just throw that one away and get one you like." As soon as I said it I thought, "Did I just say that?" The thought of throwing away ANY piece of pizza would be unimaginable for me just a few months ago. I, however, walked in the restaurant with my meal already put into MFP and I stuck to it. I felt so proud leaving that place :)
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! I had a similar experience today. My friend at work showed up this morning to relieve me and brought me a pumpkin spice latte from starbucks. I had never had one, and I love coffee, so I took a couple sips. But, I didn't want to consume my calories for the day drinking it, so I gave it to another friend. It just wasn't worth it to me! Yay for us!!
  • eilis12
    eilis12 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That sure is something.
    I had one today too. I declined to eat half a donut my sister offered to share. It was a big, sugar packed donut!
  • sororitythin
    Options
    Good job love! If your goal is to reduce portion size I definitely recommend Sensa. I don't know if you saw it on TV already, but it's essentially a powder you sprinkle on your food that messes with your senses (olfactory) to tell your brain your full faster than normally. I've been using it for months and it's WONDERFUL. It truly does work, with lots of research to back it up. Just a tip. Best of luck! :)
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Great job! I did that too, just eating food because its there. My friend offered me some kebab tonight and I turned it down. I was screaming on the inside, but I'm proud of myself now.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am so happy that I have you all to share my moments with. i told my husband about it too but he has always been one of those "eat out of necessity not out of pleasure" people and he just cannot understand how big of a deal this is to me.
  • LosingIt2WIN
    LosingIt2WIN Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That is a great NSV!!! I find that this is easier for me all the time. Life is to short to eat bad food!
  • sckrlov
    sckrlov Posts: 74
    Options
    That is AWESOME good for you
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am so happy that I have you all to share my moments with. i told my husband about it too but he has always been one of those "eat out of necessity not out of pleasure" people and he just cannot understand how big of a deal this is to me.

Ha ha...I totally get that...my husband is a personal trainer and he says that too me regularly...but even he was proud of me when I told him I gave up a coffee because it wasn't worth the calories to me! LOL
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    This wonderful change in our minds is actually more powerful than the great change in our bodies, eh? LOVE IT!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!