lost weight, feeling worse? gastritis?

Options
sschiano
sschiano Posts: 48 Member
So its safe to say that my diet had had a major makeover, i'm eating much less more often and a lot healthier. unfortunately for the past few days ive developed horrible stomach pains that wont let me sleep, exercise, and just go about my day. my mom swears it is gastritis and suggests i go on a dairy-full diet to counteract the acid in my stomach. has anyone else been through these kinds of complications due to a sudden change in diet? it is kind of discouraging that im doing what i want to but not feeling better at all, in fact im developing worse things... any advice?

Replies

• megansprague
    Options
    I've been having stomach/gas pains the past few days b/c I had fiber foods (Fiber One brownies and Kashi Go Lean Crunch). The make my stomach hurt and -- yeah. It's not nice. And those Fiber One brownies have artificial sweetener or something that could also be the culprit.

Last year there was one point where I was eating less than 1000 calories a day and I had horrible gas-y pains from about 9am to 1:30pm. I think it was because I barely ate anything and I'd feel so sick I would want to eat but I knew I felt sick because I hadn't eaten so I should probably eat.

Talk to your doctor if you're concerned and don't do anything like the all dairy diet until you've talked to a doctor. My experience would say: too much fiber (or any fiber at all!), too few calories
  • Iammelting
    Iammelting Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yes and found out I had ulcerative colitus and Chrones. Some times lettuce and raw foods are hard to digest if you have something like this. I went dairy free immediatly then vegetarian now mostly vegan and gluten free and I am much better.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    It would be a good idea to get checked out by a Dr.

I had severe gastritis much like what you are describing that all cropped up in about 3 months..... and really all it takes was a perscription for a one a day PPI. I didn't want to go on meds BUT if you let these things go on for too long other bad things can happen. For instance in my case, i developed a ring of scar tissue in the bottom of my esophagus from the acid churning in the stomach and up in my throat...... (yeah - really)........ and this requires that i eat slowly, especially when eating other than soft foods.

So, just going to dairy wouldn't have helped me.....tums or over the counter ant-acids didn't help me either.

I really wouldn't wait, your syptoms sound very familiar to me. But I can tell you it is not the end of the world, it is just better to look into it now with a qualified Dr.

Best of Luck to you!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    hi again - I just peeked at your diary and your eating somewhere between 500-750 or so a day. this is the path i took for over a year (several years back) and what landed me in the situation i am in now.

I really want to stress that under eating will lead to empty stomach and acid problems. This acid will wash up your esophagus causing erosion problems and the gastritis you describe. Seriously........ Please don't eat this way and see a Dr. soon.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I get that way with too much fiber at once & dairy. But I'm lactose intolerant. What you are describing might be something else so please call the dr to be sure. If anything they can go over your diet with you & maybe figure out the offending foods that are making you so miserable. You might have a food allergy too. Please take copies of your MFP daily food diary to your Dr & get it figured out for your own good health :flowerforyou:
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I get that way with too much fiber at once & dairy. But I'm lactose intolerant. What you are describing might be something else so please call the dr to be sure. If anything they can go over your diet with you & maybe figure out the offending foods that are making you so miserable. You might have a food allergy too. Please take copies of your MFP daily food diary to your Dr & get it figured out for your own good health :flowerforyou:
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    First, check with your doctor.

Second, yes, it could very well be gastritis. And if it is, milk is the last thing you want to drink; its one of the hardest thing for your body to digest and your stomach will produce more acid to cope with it. Unfortunately, if it is gastritis, carbs just became your best friend.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I had something similar, but its was gallstones/pankriatitis.....so just go to the dr instead of "wondering" what it is.....

try to keep it vegetarian for a bit(even vegan) and see if that helps...dairy won't really help, neither will fruits or fatty foods,
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I used to have terrible stomach pains and then bloating like I looked pregnant - eventually went to a doctor. Turns out I've got ibs, and certain types of fibre - in my case the tasty kind in no sugar museli was irritating my digestive system. So I would say definately go to a doctor and get it checked out
  • lllooper
    lllooper Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hope you found relief and are feeling better! :smile: