Female Only Question

Options
Okay, this is kind of strange...but has anyone else experienced a loss of period since dieting? I am not overweight but have drastically changed WHAT I eat, as in lots more fruit & veggies, and completely cut-out artificial sweetners, etc. and I AM getting enough calories. This is the first month that I have missed, I'm late by about 1-2 weeks...took a test, it came out negative and I seriously don't think I am pregnant anyway...what gives?...

Replies

• erica9699
    erica9699 Posts: 53
    Options
    Okay, this is kind of strange...but has anyone else experienced a loss of period since dieting? I am not overweight but have drastically changed WHAT I eat, as in lots more fruit & veggies, and completely cut-out artificial sweetners, etc. and I AM getting enough calories. This is the first month that I have missed, I'm late by about 1-2 weeks...took a test, it came out negative and I seriously don't think I am pregnant anyway...what gives?...
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Have you been exercising alot? Exercise can make your period go away or get really light.
  • HelloSunshine
    Options
    The same exact thing happened to me... i was going crazy but mine was negative too.
    I finnnnalllly got it yesterday... 1/2 mo. late and it so suppper light.

crazy right?
    but I'm totally loving it :bigsmile:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Have you started exercising heavily? Some women experience amonorhea (Not sure if I spelled that correctly) Too much exercise and not enough calories and your body starts turning off nonessential functions.
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Options
    If you have suddenly started exercising alot that can make you miss a period. It is not uncommon for athletic people to not have a period at all. While you might not be at an athletic level, if you are doing something opposite of what your body is used to then it could take some time for things to level out again. If it keeps happening then you should definately at least consult with your gyn about it. My cousin ended up stopping all together and while that sounds nice, she wanted to have a baby and well, cant do that without a period!

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • erica9699
    Options
    I do exercise a lot, but not suddenly, I am a group exercise instructor by profession. The biggest change has been the clean eating...but I know this is a GOOD thing! Glad to hear i'm not alone, thanks for the input.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    you can set your watch by mine since losing weight-- very regular!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Losing your period is part of the Female Athlete Triad.

While it's great that you have changed your diet and are exercising more you can put yourself into early osteoporosis and set yourself up for stress fractures so make sure you are keeping up with your vitamins and minerals.
  • Petunia_K
    Petunia_K Posts: 35
    Options
    That same thing happened to me this Fall. I had added more weight training and cut out almost all my carbs. That was a huge mistake (the cutting out carbs thing) and I really knew better, there is just so much conflicting info out there on what's best to eat, especially about weight training. Anyway, since January I added them back in and I'm eating more balanced and my cycle got back to normal. Just make sure you are being balanced in your nutrients and that you are getting enough calories. I do think its good to contact a physician though if it goes on for long.
  • erica9699
    Options
    Again, thanks for the input. I am still eating carbs, just fewer and am getting at least 1300 cals a day. Yes, I do agree with conflicting info...I guess it depends on if you are willing to sacrifice your health (i.e., no period) to get "cut." My body is probably in a temporary shock from the lack of splenda...I was a self-proclaimed splenda queen! LOL
  • chunkabutt25
    chunkabutt25 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    they say that your period can dissapear if your not eating enough or not eating enough nutrients. Make sure u watch ur diet!