do you HAVE to take a rest day from cardio?

Options
hey all,
So... I have fallen in love with exercise. I am doing my Fitness course next year if that shows just how much I love it LOL.
I hate taking a day off every week... is it okay if I just do weights 3 days and cardio 7 days or is this too much?
I use exercise as my antidepressant and for stress relief, so on my rest days I usually end up really stressed and depressed.. I am completely off antidepressants and just using exercise instead, and am usually great! Happier than ever except on my rest days...
?

Replies

• simplynila
    simplynila Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! Instead of rest days normally I do an easier cardio workout like a stationary bike on a lower setting or walking instead of running etc. :)
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I only take a rest if I am feeling really run down.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    It's actually really good for your body to have rest days but it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be one day per week, that's just the typical recommendation. I tend to make sure I do have at least one day off every 2 weeks, and at least one lighter day on the week that I don't take a day off. Like previously suggested maybe a nice walk instead of running. But don't give up that day of rest, even if you don't take it weekly, still make sure you take it regularly... it's just as important as exercise.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    For me the rest day is mostly for my joints. They need to recover.

If you want to push all 7 days, my recommendations is to keep the cardio minimal (10 t0 12 minutes beforehand) on the weight days.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    My "off days" consist of long walks (moonlit and on the beach, of course...)
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    How about yoga on your rest days? You'll stretch out those muscles you've been working and the quiet mediation is good. I love Hatha because it concentrates on meditation and breathing and keeps you centered and heps you to deal with anxiety.
  • kcwonder
    kcwonder Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Happier than ever except on my rest days...

Good to hear. I take rest days when I need to recover. If I wasn't extremely sore in the legs from weight lifting, I wouldn't take a break either. However, one thing I noticed for myself is that I eat like crap when I try to take it easy in the gym or take a rest day. Ugh.
  • oopsiedaezie
    Options
    On my "off" days I do a bit of dancing on my Wii :)
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a rest....it needs time to recover. Maybe do something low intensity instead of a full rest day.
  • MDVOID
    MDVOID Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have the same concern about rest days. Even feel guilty and end up working out that day. I think one solution is to do low impact routines on that day or basically change your routine, for example I used to workout daily and because the gym was closed on Sundays I just went to the park and spend the morning there walking/running.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My "rest days" (once a week) are yoga and a short walk. Plus this is when I clean house, which can only be done with earphones and music so I can dance around. :-) Just try to keep moving, so it feels like your working out !
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    yoga on rest days!
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My rest days usually end with the lawns mowed.
    I'm not too good at rest days but there is the odd day where my body screams our for one so I listen to it.
  • JacknRyMommy
    Options
    My ankles feel bruised on the inner bones, I only rest on Sundays, but if my ankles don't get better I'm.going to have to rest more
    I just started doing 30 min on the treadmill and ever since the 2nd day my ankles hurt more and more. But its just that bone area and when I move my big toe
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you really must, try working different areas on different days, like upper body vs lower / cardio vs strength.

I personally like a rest day and totally veg out if I can, but sometimes I struggle on my 1st day back (rock climbing is super hard after a rest day), other times though I come back refreshed and full of energy (cycling it's like my legs have had a full recharge). Whether its the type of exercise or the type of rest I cannot say.

Just don't overdo it and welcome rest days, your body needs the downtime to recover.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    my rest days are for rec softball but I do sprint out to my OF position and sprint back to the dugout
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's good practice to vary your activities; running, cycling, swimming etc. It's also good pratice to vary intensity; don't do 5Km every day, do a 10K followed by a 3K etc.

With that in mind you can train every day, but many people find that it's useful to have a very light burden day once a week; walk etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Depends on your intensity and duration. Most people in general population can do 30 minutes of moderate cardio for their level 7 days a week if they like and not suffer from it as long as they have decent recovery which includes proper rest and nutrition.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What ninerbuff said. Also, as many have eluded to, rest doesn't have to mean doing nothing at all. You can do "active rest" days which just means doing something more low key than normal. Like if you usually run, go for a stroll or an easy bike ride or swim. I usually go for a longer leisurely walk or do yoga.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How about yoga on your rest days? You'll stretch out those muscles you've been working and the quiet mediation is good. I love Hatha because it concentrates on meditation and breathing and keeps you centered and heps you to deal with anxiety.

This!^

So good for rest days.