Soy milk

Options
How much is too much per day? I like about 1/2 C in my morning coffee and about 2 C steamed at night. Is 20-24 oz too much if I'm trying to lose weight?

Replies

• Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Just add it into your calorie count.
  • EmilyRose33
    Options
    Ya aslong as you dont go over calories you'll be fine!
  • aliburstall
    Options
    soy, dairy, almond, oat, hemp, coconut and ancient grain milk all contain protein, potassium, calcium, and vitamins A and D. 3-4 cups are about enough, but not too much. If you are going over on your calorie count, get light soy milk. It's good for you, so don't cut back on that, you need the nutrients when losing weight. Protein for muscle building, calcium to keep bones strong, potassium for joint health and to help regulate excess fluids and flush toxins. Enjoy your milk!
  • adtrevors
    adtrevors Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    How much is too much per day? I like about 1/2 C in my morning coffee and about 2 C steamed at night. Is 20-24 oz too much if I'm trying to lose weight?

Soy can contain a lot of phytoestrogens so I would watch it closely. I believe there was a Swiss study that claimed that 2C of soy milk a day (for women) provides the equivalent estrogen in one birth control pill. Lots of studies have been done over the years showing adverse effects in excessive soy consumption http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert/studies-showing-adverse-effects-of-soy
  • healthy4self
    Options

Soy can contain a lot of phytoestrogens so I would watch it closely. I believe there was a Swiss study that claimed that 2C of soy milk a day (for women) provides the equivalent estrogen in one birth control pill. Lots of studies have been done over the years showing adverse effects in excessive soy consumption http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert/studies-showing-adverse-effects-of-soy

My estrogen is naturally low, so maybe this is a good thing for me?!
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

LOL @ Weston-price.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/effects-of-soy-protein-and-soybean-isoflavones-on-thyroid-function-in-healthy-adults-and-hypothyroid-patients.html
  • adtrevors
    Options
    and you're laughing at what exactly?
  • Scrappie54
    Scrappie54 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As long as is soy milk, you should be fine in the amount the you are using. Consider the amount if you are also using in cooking, that should also be considered when you are totaling up the use of milk. No more then 3 cups a day
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

The use of a notorious quack as a reference.
  • adtrevors
    Options

The use of a notorious quack as a reference.

I see. hate to break it to you buddy, but that quack had a lot right. Go talk to a bio-chemist or anybody specializing in metabolic or nutritional chemistry and you'll hear a different story.

People like to point to his saturated fat theories to indicate he was a complete moron; yet all the modern research on cholesterol and cardiovascular disease points to saturated fat being a minor player, and mostly only in conjunction with overfeeding on carbohydrate (since your liver will convert excess glycogen to palmatic acid and then package it into VLDL). Oxidation is a much bigger player in CD.