What is the fuss about carbs?? Explain.

Options
I've noticed that some people who used to comment on my diary saying that I eat too much carbs.. I honestly don't think I do, before I thought I used too.. around 125g a day but I always made sure I was reaching my daily goal calorie intake and not going over on sugar and sodium.

Why exactly do some people prefer low carbs.. and what exactly IS low carb in your opinion?? Anyone lost weight / maintained on not really keeping track on carbs?

Now I eat about 110g a day.. and try to get in a good amount of protein. I also noticed that those who eat a little higher in carbs, are lower in protein.. why is that? Just wondering so I can get a better - more clear understanding! Thanks :)

Replies

• CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    A lot of people resort to a low-carb diet because they are diabetic (i.e. a condition where the body does not handle carbs well) or genetically predisposed to it (like me). Basically, whenever I eat a lot of carbs, like whole wheat spaghetti, for example, my energy levels crash within a half hour of eating and then I'm hungry again 2 or 3 hours later, whereas with carbs significantly reduced, my energy levels are fairly level before and after I eat, and I can go much longer between meals. I think people who are not diabetic or don't have any symptoms of it can probably lose weight on a lot of different diets out there, even low-fat/high-carb ones.

I would consider 25g net carbs (total carbs - fiber) to be low-carb. It's a low enough number where if followed for a few days, one's body begins to burn stored body fat in the absence of sugar (digestible carbs convert to blood sugar, or glucose). This state is called ketosis.

I lost 100 lbs. going low-carb in about 10 months before I joined MFP. Before MFP, I didn't really track all of my nutrition, except for the net carb count in my head. Hope this helps.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    hrzfab.gif
  • Saucy_Yoda
    Saucy_Yoda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    People go on low carb diets in hopes of weight loss and/or better blood sugar readings/overall health. Some people say they feel more energetic and healthy without a lot of carbs. Some people, however, have bad side effects to eating low carbs.

I'm a type 1 diabetic and thought low carb would be good, so I ate about 40 net carbs a day. I felt awful, lost 2/3 of my scalp hair, was always tired and nauseous. I bumped my carbs up (now I eat at minimum 100, but it's usually 130-ish), and all those problems are being resolved.

I'm a firm believer that there is no one-size-fits-all diet or macronutrient breakdown. There will always be nay-sayers no matter what you do: low carb vs. normal carb, meat-eaters vs. raw vegans, etc. If you can lose/maintain at 125 g carbs, feel good, and have no medical reasons to go low carbs, then why change?
  • adtrevors
    adtrevors Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic and thought low carb would be good, so I ate about 40 net carbs a day. I felt awful, lost 2/3 of my scalp hair, was always tired and nauseous. I bumped my carbs up (now I eat at minimum 100, but it's usually 130-ish), and all those problems are being resolved.

If you dropped from very high to very low quickly then that could cause problems. If you gradually moved down then who knows. That being said, if 100g works for you and you feel good and have good control over your glucose levels then you are better off at 100g :D
    I'm a firm believer that there is no one-size-fits-all diet or macronutrient breakdown.

Could not agree with you more.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I hear that a lot about carbs also but my diet through my entire journey was 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. When I cut my carbs to low I have no energy.. it works for me and if it works for you I wouldn't change it girl :)
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You have to find the right level for you. If you have no issues eating carbs (crashes, blood sugar problems, food cravings) then your probably not insulin resistant. I worked my way from 20 net carbs to now ranging 100-150 a day. I am still losing but I do have to keep my calories in check. Each person should find what eating plan works for them. Some people are very negative towards low carb but haven't ever followed the plan from phase 1 to maintenance ..they think it's all about the first phase where carbs are most restrictive. I have followed all phases and am less than 10 lbs from goal and have learned a lot about portion control and moderation...which even those negative people would say that any good diet plan should teach you. Not one of those negative people can point out why white sugar and other processed refined carbs are good for you. Just find what works for you.