Are you wondering how to make your favorite foods less calor

Options
13»

Replies

• jsteinberg87
    jsteinberg87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Aligot. i'd rather eat the full cal version, but curious as to what you'd sub to make aligot. chicken stock would negatively effect the texture and flavor imo

Forgive me, but please tell me what aligot is.... as I haven't heard of it (or maybe I've just had way too long of a day!)
  • jsteinberg87
    Options
    Hot wings, french fries, yeungling

Hot wings. Let see. Problem is 1. they are usually dark meat (fattier) and contain butter in the sauce. This can be easily replaced by making almost "hot breasts" because its leaner, and I will find a way to make that sauce more calorific. :) Fries, I can honestly say, all oil is going to SIGNIFICANTLY ADD CALORIES. You are much better off baking them. I suggest par-boiling (boiling but not quite cooked) then baking them with whatever you choose to season them with. Just be mindful of the sodium. Alot of premade seasonings have a ton of sodium, when you can look at the ingredients and make it yourself. The secret to crispy frenchy fries is that they are TWICE fried. In restaurants, most places fry them once, and when an order comes in.... fries them again to order so you get that crunchy outside and mushy inside everyone enjoys. If you par-boil them, you are essentially cooking them once, then baking for the second CRUNCH factor, which is what every fry needs. I will play around with that to see how long the cooking time and what temperature needs to be. But thank you for your input because I'm sure alot of people want to know!

French fries are my favorite food, so I am really looking forward to what you find out for this. Loving the info on how to make them healthier, thanks!

You are so welcome, and I am so here for you :) Feel free to add me or ask me any questions. I will post the recipe as time goes on... I work a full time job at a middle school, however my passion is cooking and I love to share with others!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Aligot. i'd rather eat the full cal version, but curious as to what you'd sub to make aligot. chicken stock would negatively effect the texture and flavor imo

Forgive me, but please tell me what aligot is.... as I haven't heard of it (or maybe I've just had way too long of a day!)

a french version of cheesy mashed potatoes, real aligot will stretch due to the cheese in it.

basically, heavy cream, butter, full fat milk, french melting cheeses, garlic, yukon potatoes. you'll see diff cheeses blended in though
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I would love a easy to make veggie pizza!
  • jsteinberg87
    Options

a french version of cheesy mashed potatoes, real aligot will stretch due to the cheese in it.

basically, heavy cream, butter, full fat milk, french melting cheeses, garlic, yukon potatoes. you'll see diff cheeses blended in though

Interesting, Sounds really good though... I wonder if in the potatoes I could work the gluten more (which makes it more stretchy and glue-y), therefore being able to add a light melting cheese... I will google and try for sure! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • garebearsgirl
    Options
    I love stuffed mushrooms, and I created a recipe that is low fat, yummy and easy. Hollow out 8 oz. mushrooms, set aside... brown 4 oz. ground turkey. Add to the pan 4 Tablespoons light cream cheese, garlic powder, salt pepper and any dried herbs you enjoy. Stir together until melted and blended. Put a teaspoon full in each mushroom and bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Delish!
  • jsteinberg87
    Options
    I would love a easy to make veggie pizza!

Oh my GOSH. I posted in the recipe section the BEST recipe for "doughless" pizza, and I know you know how to make it veggie! Everyone can tailor it to their specific toppings! I got the link for you below:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/372319-for-all-you-pizza-lovers-doughless-pizza-recipe
  • jsteinberg87
    Options
    I love stuffed mushrooms, and I created a recipe that is low fat, yummy and easy. Hollow out 8 oz. mushrooms, set aside... brown 4 oz. ground turkey. Add to the pan 4 Tablespoons light cream cheese, garlic powder, salt pepper and any dried herbs you enjoy. Stir together until melted and blended. Put a teaspoon full in each mushroom and bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Delish!

THANK YOU! I really appreciate others contributing to this post! I love stuffed mushrooms, and must try this. Mushrooms are mostly made of water and therefore very LOW CAL. For those of you reading this, try it! If you aren't a meat person, put a mixture of light cheeses in there. I suggest a light asiago, with parmesean, and light mozzerella for all you vegetarians! Thank you so much for this post!