What is it with "You MUST eat 5-6 meals to lose weight"

Options
Got into it with a gym rat/Personal trainer today. I overheard him telling a client that she absolutely must eat 5-6 meals a day, and not eat any carbs at dinner in order to lose body fat. After the client left, I told him what I thought about his 'advice'. Needless to say he got all defensive. I asked him to explain to me how people in prison who only get 3 meals a day lose weight and his was speechless. Does anyone know where I can get a shirt made with this printed on it?

BatmanandJokerDietDiscussion.jpg

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't know where you can get a shirt like that. But, I bet you can get one made for yourself. I've done this before. It's kinda fun. :flowerforyou:
  • maaleka
    maaleka Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this !!! please keep telling them this.. and I love the batman... tooo funny! I want that shirt!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I think that small meals can help some people, because it keeps them from ever being very hungry so it can help them not to overeat. It isn't for everyone though and it definitely isn't a Rule or The Magic Secret that people try to make it out to be. I think "eat small meals" is easier to say than "pay attention, eat when you're hungry, and figure out what works for you".
  • BamaGurl47
    Options
    Ive been eating only 2 meals a day with exercise and have managed to loose 5 lbs in one week.. So i dont believe that either
  • joshlikesmetal
    Options
    It's a common myth that people pass around. 5 to 6 meals a day wont 'boost' your metabolism, however the more frequent eating tends to be better at keeping hunger at bay and thus making weight loss easier. So I like that you did what you did.

As for the shirt, you could makes your own here. I've made two and they're great quality!

http://www.spreadshirt.com/
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I think that small meals can help some people, because it keeps them from ever being very hungry so it can help them not to overeat. It isn't for everyone though and it definitely isn't a Rule or The Magic Secret that people try to make it out to be. I think "eat small meals" is easier to say than "pay attention, eat when you're hungry, and figure out what works for you".

I understand everyone is different. But to tell a client that you MUST eat 5-6 times a day and no carbs at dinner if you want to lose weight is foolish. Many of us don't have the option of eating every several hours while at work.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    The fact is that as your body is digesting, or metabolizing the food you eat, it heats up, and is burning more cals while in this mode. If you keep your body in a mode that is constantly metabolizing/digesting, then you will burn more cals. FACT.

No, it does not "boost" your metabolism, but it keeps it running at its higher speed.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    It's a common myth that people pass around. 5 to 6 meals a day wont 'boost' your metabolism, however the more frequent eating tends to be better at keeping hunger at bay and thus making weight loss easier. So I like that you did what you did.

As for the shirt, you could makes your own here. I've made two and they're great quality!

http://www.spreadshirt.com/

Thanks for the source, definately gonna rock this on a shirt and stand right in front of the PT
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    The fact is that as your body is digesting, or metabolizing the food you eat, it heats up, and is burning more cals while in this mode. If you keep your body in a mode that is constantly metabolizing/digesting, then you will burn more cals. FACT.

No, it does not "boost" your metabolism, but it keeps it running at its higher speed.

What expends more calories, chopping down 5-6 small trees, or 3 large trees, does it make a difference if it takes you the same amount of time to perform do either job?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

::sigh::

i assume you are talking about TEF?

Bellisle F et. al. Meal frequency and energy balance. Br J Nutr. (1997) 77 (Suppl 1):S57-70.

"Although some short-term studies suggest that the thermic effect of feeding is higher when an isoenergetic test load is divided into multiple small meals, other studies refute this, and most are neutral. More importantly, studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging. Finally, with the exception of a single study, there is no evidence that weight loss on hypoenergetic regimens is altered by meal frequency. We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation.
    "
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love it! Thanks for standing up for the rest of us! :drinker: