Energy Supplements?

Options
Sometimes, actually MOST of the time, I feel like I need a BOOST to get my workouts done! Are there any good ones that HAVE helped anyone? OR are they something I should just stay away from all together?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    coffee has always worked great for me :]
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    200 mg of caffeine always works for me when I'm dragging.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    B vitamins. A lot of the energy you get from energy drinks actually come from these, plus they are good for your mood and metabolism. Some caffeine too wouldn't hurt. :)
  • gr3tch3n527
    gr3tch3n527 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I saw caffeine pills at the Vitamin Shoppe. Was hesitant, but maybe I'll give them a try.
  • buddha5050
    buddha5050 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    jack3d pre workout works great for me
  • gr3tch3n527
    Options
    I always heard caffeine dehydrated you and worked against you??
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

Overpriced caffeine in my opinion.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

+1 to that
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Ok, so caffeine constricts blood vessels, thus increasing the work on your heart because it has to push (harder) the same amount through a smaller space, thus raising the rate, thus eventually causing damage overtime. Not sure you really want 200 mg for a workout. Try half a cup of coffee or half of your caffeine tablet. What about a protein shake? Maybe you just need a little lift in blood sugar.
    I do notice diuretic effects, but if you drink enough water before and after, should be no problem. Also, you have to look at if you are consuming more water, you will pee more often, so don't forget you need to pee anyways to kick out the waste products and replace what you lose in sweat. Just go easy on your caffeine.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

It does make me urinate a bit more than normal. However, I drink at least a gallon of water a day, so I'm not worried.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

I think it just makes you pee more, if that is dark then just try to take in a bit more liquids (water, tea, whatever) and you should be fine. It hasn't hurt my weight loss at all and I drink coffee, tea, sometimes energy drinks and 3 cans of soda a day. I was still able to lose 100 lbs. :)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Ok, so caffeine constricts blood vessels, thus increasing the work on your heart because it has to push the same amount through a small space, thus raising the rate, thus eventually causing damage overtime. Not sure you really want 200 mg for a workout. Try half a cup of coffee or half of your caffeine tablet. What about a protein shake? Maybe you just need a little lift in blood sugar.

Working out in the cold also restricts blood vessels, should we stop working out in the cold? Several pre-workout products contain 300 mg of caffeine, should that be a concern?. Many people drink starbucks drinks first thing in the morning which contain more than 200mg of caffeine and go off to work, doing construction and other laborous jobs, should that be a concern also?
  • sarahdunagan
    Options
    I tried caffeine pills and they made me feel like I was on drugs or something....I wouldn't recommend them.
  • gr3tch3n527
    Options
    Ok, so caffeine constricts blood vessels, thus increasing the work on your heart because it has to push the same amount through a small space, thus raising the rate, thus eventually causing damage overtime. Not sure you really want 200 mg for a workout. Try half a cup of coffee or half of your caffeine tablet. What about a protein shake? Maybe you just need a little lift in blood sugar.

Working out in the cold also restricts blood vessels, should we stop working out in the cold? Several pre-workout products contain 300 mg of caffeine, should that be a concern?. Many people drink starbucks drinks first thing in the morning which contain more than 200mg of caffeine and go off to work, doing construction and other laborous jobs, should that be a concern also?

GOOD POINT!!!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    I tried caffeine pills and they made me feel like I was on drugs or something....I wouldn't recommend them.

That's because caffeine is a drug. Some people are very sensative to caffeine, while others are non-responders or actually receive a calming effect from consuming caffeine. Different strokes for different folks.
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Point taken. It depends on the individuals present state of health. What helps you might kill the next guy. I work with a lot of cardiac patients. Anyhow, the thought of someone working out in the cold doesn't sound like an awesome idea to me. You are wanting blood to go to the extremities in a workout, but I would think your body wouldn't have adequate circulation if you are freezing your limbs...it would go more centrally to organs than to legs/feet/arms/hands where you want it during exercise.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

Point taken. It depends on the individuals present state of health. What helps you might kill the next guy. I work with a lot of cardiac patients. Anyhow, the thought of someone working out in the cold doesn't sound like an awesome idea to me. You are wanting blood to go to the extremities in a workout, but I would think your body wouldn't have adequate circulation if you are freezing your limbs...it would go more centrally to organs than to legs/feet/arms/hands where you want it during exercise.

Yes, your absolutely correct, like I said in my previous post, everyone is different. When in doubt, get your Dr's clearance before starting an exercise regime or consuming supplements.
  • buddha5050
    buddha5050 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

+1 to that

I have a high tolerance for caffeine, jack3d only has 100mg's of caffeine per serving, which does not have much of an effect on me on it's own. it also has (Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate, Creatine Monohydrate, Beta Alanine, Caffeine, 1,3-Dimethylamylamine (Geranium [Stem]), Schizandrol A).
    * Arginine is a precursor for nitric oxide production and improves blood flow and nutrient delivery (such as creatine or amino acids) to muscles.
    * Beta alanine is an amino acid which is scientifically proven to reduce fatigue. Beta alanine increases the concentration of carnosine in muscles. This then decreases fatigue in athletes and increases total muscular work done.
    *1,3 Dimethylamylamine is also known as Geranamine, Methylhexaneamine, or DMAA. It is a naturally-occurring constituute of the geranium plant. This plant has long been in the food supply and has traditionally been used for a wide variety of purposes. This particular constitute is a stimulant that provides energy and focus to the user.

Plus you can get it fairly cheap considering it has 35 servings in it or 70 servings if you use just 1/2 scoop depending on your tolerance. Just what I like, but it is not just overpriced caffeine in my and alot of others opinions.