Maintaining weight and pregnancy

Options
So I've recently lost the last few pounds of my baby weight from my one year old. It's taken me awhile but I've lost 40 plus pounds and only have ten to go. But this morning I found out for sure that I'm pregant. Now we weren't trying but I'm still exctied. My only fear is gaining all the weight back. I can't give up my cute new cloths and self esteem. Now I realize I wont be losing those last ten pounds anytime soon but what can I do to make sure I don't gain a ton? I read you only need 100-300 extra calories when pregnant is this true? And what are the best foods to eat when your stomach is turing circles? Please give me some words of wisdom.

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i would say talk to your doctor..good luck, and congrats:drinker:
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Talk to your dr and WIC if you can get it. The hardest is cravings. Fortunately you can still do a lot of exercises. There's some great websites for pregnancy exercises if you Google it. Just try to keep food choices healthy. If you do it'll be a lot easier to lose the weight after your baby is born. Congratulations to you!!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Of course you should talk to your doctor about calorie levels first before making any permanent changes to your diet - but don't stress too much about gaining weight! You should try to keep it under control, for sure, but stressing about it constantly will only make things worse. (Stress often causes weight gain!) When I was pregnant - I gained a LOT of weight. I tried really hard to eat healthy though - and I think that is very important. When you crave something, just think about what that food is and what exactly is in it that your body might be trying to tell you that you need. Look at the ingredients/nutrition info and find out what vitamins are in that food. Is is high in protein, fiber, fat? Whatever is the case, if it's unhealthy, try to find a healthier alternative that still has the good qualities (if any) of the food you were craving. If it's just a sweet craving - go for fruit!

As far as your stomach turning circles - I usually went with soda. Not a good choice, but you could try ginger ale or just a nice hot cup of de-caffienated tea with honey. Hope this helps! And congratulations! :)
  • Anyanut
    Anyanut Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    yes it's true, you only need 100-300 extra calories. I found that with my first pregnacy I went overboard with the 'eating for two' but with the second one (they're 20mos apart) I was a little more aware that my pregnancy weight was hard to get off, and I didn't gain as much because I stuck with healthy foods. Eat when you are hungry but make good choices, you've lost lots of weight so you know what's good for you and what's not. Good luck and congratulations!
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Congrats!!!
    I just had a baby 3-weeks ago and I was back into my pre pregnancy clothes right away (like the next day).
    What helped me not gain a ton of weight?
    I was strict with my food and ate very little refined sugar and low carbs. I guess it helped having gestational diabetes I suppose BUT you don't have to have GD to really monitor your food intake.
    I actually weigh less now than I did before getting pregnant so it can be done!

Good luck!!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    So I've recently lost the last few pounds of my baby weight from my one year old. It's taken me awhile but I've lost 40 plus pounds and only have ten to go. But this morning I found out for sure that I'm pregant. Now we weren't trying but I'm still exctied. My only fear is gaining all the weight back. I can't give up my cute new cloths and self esteem. Now I realize I wont be losing those last ten pounds anytime soon but what can I do to make sure I don't gain a ton? I read you only need 100-300 extra calories when pregnant is this true? And what are the best foods to eat when your stomach is turing circles? Please give me some words of wisdom.

definetly go see a doctor. but you dont need to increase calorie intake in the first trimester. and it is fine to keep exercising as you are for the first trimester too, then lower the intensity after, if you do running and stuff. just set your calories to maintenance eat your exercise calories, i definetly think you should keep tracking.