Question for the ladies! :)

Options
Hello dear MFP girls!

This is a question regarding "The Time of the Month" where my fitness and nutrition plans go whack. I am hoping I'm not all alone and need some help/suggestions!

As much as I try to be thankful for this monthly occurrence (since this is an indication that everything is going well with my body), about 2 weeks before, PMS sets in and my sugar craving increases. I used to manage it well but it is getting harder. One bite of a sugar gum and I keep on going. :( When the time does come around, my energy dips to an all time low, my sugar craving spikes (including wanting to eat fried food), cramps kick in and it is painful to even go for a light jog. This can actually go on for a week and the next time I run, it gets harder. I don't want this to be the beginning of a vicious cycle.

1) Could I have some suggestions on how I can beat the sugar craving or manage it well, please? What do you ladies do?
2) Also, what kind of exercises can I do to ensure that I can keep my heart rate up? Thanks so much!

Thank you! ♥
P.S.: Do add me if you would like to motivate each other! I'm starting to love the MFP community. :)

Replies

• JustEllieK
    JustEllieK Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    TOM hits again......
  • acbeenblossom
    Options
    Hey!

I chew gum or eat a mint when I get a craving. This helps me a lot. Also, if it still doesn't go away, I do some jumping jacks or push-ups or sit-ups. By the time I'm done doing them, the craving is usually gone or has subsided.

I have the same problem when I am having cramps and it makes running very hard. I use workouts that are interval training. Check out the website www.bodyrock.tv and check out Zuzana's workouts. They are amazing and would be a great way to get around the bad time of the month!

Hope this helped!
  • ShrinkingMG
    Options
    Was just thinking of TOM this morning and wondering if anyone puts on weight during this time and how much. I seem to put on about 2lb and weight won't budge for 3-4 days eventhough I eat and exercise the same as normal days. What happends to your weight?
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My sis says, staying away from carbs, (bad ones) and Gluten helps her cramps, I cant help you with the cravings though- Im on the pill and have bad cravings! Do you take a multi -vitamin?
  • herwonderland
    Options
    @acbeenblossom: Jumping jacks! Really! Okay, I shall try that the next time. Oh wow, Bodyrock looks intense but I am going to try that out! Thanks so much! I hope the next time it comes around, I manage it better. Been doing a pretty bad job!

@ShrinkingMG: I put on about 2lbs too! But that is because my exercise level slides and my food intake spikes. Been really trying to not give in to temptation but it is an uphill task. If you are doing everything right, I wonder if it is our bodies holding in more water? My tummy also looks so bloated, sometimes it is as if I'm pregnant! Really don't know how to stop that :(
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Well, since I changed my eating pattern..to eat every 2-3 hrs...I have not had any cravings.... as bad as I once had prior to watching what I ate...I use to crave BIG time...Steak, baked potato and a side order of something sweet...haha...

I'm also no longer cramping, gut wrenching cramps..keel over and wanna clutch at abdomen..so, I think the exercising and eating better helped me as well..Body craves things, because it is lacking in something...
  • herwonderland
    Options
    @Bridget28152723: hmm what time of gluten would you/she recommend? And no, I don't take a multivitamin, actually! Would that help?

@Rachaelluvszipped: I must admit I used to get gut-wrenching cramps too. The can't move/can't walk/can't sleep kind but it has really improved! Still, jogging or running or doing any sort of work out feels so (mentally?) painful to do during the TOM. :(