Newbie. How long does it take for the hungry feeling to go a

Options
Hi, I'm new. I just joined 3 days ago. I have some friends who have been using MFP and lost a lot and I finally decided to join.
I am ready for this time to be THE time, I wasn't truly ready for this before now, no matter how I thought I was in the past.
Anyway, I'm really liking this so far! The first two days were really good, and today was good too, I have a lot of determination and willpower now, but I also noticed that I felt hungrier today than the other two days. I also had a headache earlier (I usually only get headaches if I've gone too long without eating or haven't eaten enough).
I'm hoping that the headache was just because my body is not used to this yet but that I am eating enough (I should be, I've been using the app and watching my calories and picking healthy foods and proper portions) and that it will go away soon as I get used to this. I've heard before that once your body gets used to proper portions, you feel full when you are supposed to, your stomach re-learns what full is. I just wanted to ask those of you that have been doing this for a while, 1), is it true that it just takes a bit for your body to get used to and then it's fine, and 2) About how long did it take for you to get used to it?

I did notice today that after dinner I still felt like I wanted more food (I only ate what I should though) and then I drank a tall glass of water. About 30 minutes after dinner, I was at the grocery store with my family and I realized that I didn't feel hungry at all, I felt content. That's a good sign, I hope!

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know when, IF, that happens. :/

I just got better at dealing with the discomfort of feeling hunger for at least half the day. :)
  • PaulaJKelly
    Options
    Make sure you are having enough water - 8 to 10 (8 oz) glasses per day. Also, make sure that you are getting enough good-quality protein as that helps as well. It will get better.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Try eating more low calorie food like vegies. Eat small portions but snack during the day. Drink, drink and drink water.
  • paravision
    Options
    I have that problem too. Make sure you eat your calories especially around that time of the month. Make sure its protein like chicken ect. Veggies and fruit are a lot of water. Good luck hun. I am on day 11
  • cuatesmom
    cuatesmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    if i dont drink my 8 cups of water or if i dont include at least one very large salad in my day i get hungry...but if i do BOTH of these things i am surpised how easy it is to stay within goal withoug any discomfort. it took me about two weeks to figure that out though.

when you do get hungry repeat this to yourself: "this is my body telling me that at this very moment it is going into my fat stores and burning them UP! i can either eat or let it BURN BABY BURN!"

if still hungry go snack on cucumber, carrots, apples, watermelon, a bunch of spinach with a low cal dressing.

best of luck!
  • kendrara
    Options
    Sometimes that hungry gross feeling is actually your body saying its dehydrated.
    Try to have smaller more frequent meals
    A bowl of salad will fill you up and it wont eat up calories.
    Also if it feels like you need more food...exercise and eat those calories.

Then there are the times you just want/need to eat more. I wait for about 10-15 mins if I still have that feeling I fix myself a snack.
    ive been at it for about 3 months straight now and its tough but it works, and as long as you dont blast way over your calorie goal you will be fine.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    So I started dieting in March and I really haven't had too much trouble with hunger. There have been days here and there where I just wanted to eat, eat, eat, but for me, it's usually emotional eating.

During previous weight-loss attempts, I have felt hungry, which is a huge part of why I failed.

I've wondered why this diet has been different and more successful than others. I think there are many things that have made the difference, including a better network of support this go-round... but one of the things that made a difference in the hunger levels is that I 'eased' into the diet.

I started out at a pretty moderate deficit. I was eating 1700 calories per day and burning about 2000. I didn't lose fast, but I wasn't hungry. I slowly cut my consumption until I was at 1500 calories a day. However, my activity level has increased, and so I've since increased my consumption so I'm back at the 1700 calories a day level (but am burning about 2200, I think).

Point is... easing into the diet can help with the hunger... and keeping your deficit at 500 calories or less will also help.

You're more likely to stick with the diet if you're not hungry.

I also eat a LOT of raw veggies. They are good for me and take up space in my tummy so I don't feel hungry.

And fiber, proteins, complex carbohydrates, that sorta thing. Things that take longer to digest. It keeps you feeling full longer.
  • ziggylove
    Options
    Hiya, I think it took me a little less than a couple weeks to get used to the hungry feeling. I remember thinking, "1200 calories is so little.." but I kept trying to follow the good tips folks were posting on the site and kept logging faithfully to keep track of everything I was eating. The logging helped keep me accountable and helped me know if i needed to burn (exercise) more or how many calories I had left for dinner. So make sure you keep logging--that is what will help you make better choices.

Getting back to the hungry feeling thing, I still sometimes get those feelings though they aren't as 'tortuous' as they used to be. If you're eating healthy, nutritious meals that are within your calorie goals, getting in your exercise, and drinking decent amounts of water (though admittedly I'm still bad with water), there shouldn't be any problem with also having a few healthy snacks to deal with the hungries. The snacks that work for me are:

Almonds - limit yourself to one serving of 14 nuts (approx 100 calories) and eat them slowly.
    Kashi granola bars - find a favorite flavor: mine is the dark chocolate coconut (120 calories).
    low-fat cottage cheese - 2% is perfectly fine, one serving of 1/2 cup is only 90 calories, but again limit yourself.
    Silk Light chocolate soy milk - maybe I'm weird but this stuff doesn't even taste like it's good for you! (90 calories per serving).

Hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a big appetite and I find eating plenty of veg helps alot :flowerforyou:
  • emandbri
    Options
    I find I don't feel hungry as long as I'm getting enough protein. Off to get a string cheese! lol
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel hungry once your body adjusts to less calories. Eat a lot of protein and veggies to fill your stomach up and keep you satiated.
  • Noof91
    Noof91 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    it usually takes me a week or so
    but this time I didn't feel it at all actually I feel I am eating more than what I used to and until now 10 days after I start
    I can't eat all the 1200 calories
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    I am ready for this time to be THE time
    I have a lot of determination and willpower now

Congrats! That's the spirit, and all that matters to success.
    I'm hoping that the headache was just because my body is not used to this yet but that I am eating enough (I should be, I've been using the app and watching my calories and picking healthy foods and proper portions) and that it will go away soon as I get used to this.

headaches are your body's way to warn you --> eat an apple (77kcal, lots of micronutrients and makes you feel full)
    you feel full when you are supposed to, your stomach re-learns what full is.

stomach learns nothing, it actually shrinks! (yep, the actual organ becomes smaller) that means it fills itself sooner. thats what you want (be careful, it becomes larger if you start eating more again on a regular basis)
    1), is it true that it just takes a bit for your body to get used to and then it's fine
    2) About how long did it take for you to get used to it?

took me less than 2 weeks... , I haven't been hungry since then.
    I did notice today that after dinner I still felt like I wanted more food (I only ate what I should though) and then I drank a tall glass of water. About 30 minutes after dinner, I was at the grocery store with my family and I realized that I didn't feel hungry at all, I felt content. That's a good sign, I hope!

yep, thats good.
    water only stays inside the stomach for a few minutes, then it moves to the duodenum, but you can feel full for a while

you just need to find what foods fill you more with less kcal, and you will be done! (tomatoes helped me!)
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    :smile: Sorry to say that I've been dieting for over a year now, and I never stopped being hungry. But you do get used to it, and you tell yourself that it is all for a good cause
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am day to day. Yesterday I wasn't hungry at all. Today, I am starving. I just try to eat small meals all day long and have at least 10 cups of water. Even if it doesn't totally curb hunger, I find that increased water prevents the headaches. More than anything, listen to your body. If you are hungry, then eat. Just make sure you log everything. This is meant to be a lifelong process.

HTH