I can't trust myself

Options
Okay it's official, I can't cook for myself anymore. I can't trust myself with leftovers in the fridge. If things aren't prepackaged and portioned for me, I lose all control. I obsess over counting calories, yet I don't stick to the margins I set. I'm so pissed at myself every night for this and it's wearing me down.

Replies

• healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What my husband does with leftovers is plate them...as single servings...

Not sure that will work for you, but it's something worth trying. :)
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I have to freeze individual servings, because I will take a bite here and there.

BTW - soups freeze really well.
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Could you freeze the leftovers for other meals?

Thats what I have to do otherwise they call to me too!
  • pinkpetals06
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. I love leftovers to and sometimes catch myself over doing it.
    You mess up one day keep going. Measuring your leftovers to use for another meal
    is something you can try. :smile:
  • joshlikesmetal
    Options
    It can be tough with temptation only a few steps away. However should you feel the need to indulge do so with moderation and lots of water.

I've been there before and what kept me on track was reminding myself of my ultimate goals. Getting mad at yourself will only trigger emotions which could cause more eating. If you had more than you think you should have take a walk the next day or spend 20 more mins in the gym.

Just remember it's all in your control.
  • ishrugged
    ishrugged Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try portioning out before you cook any only cook what you need! Then no leftovers.
  • thardin323
    Options
    If you can afford not to keep the leftovers --- get rid of them!!!! Put them down the garbage disposal the second you are done eating. Do not even wait an hour later to clean and do it then --- or they will end up in your mouth. Start cooking smaller portions so you have less left-overs and wasted food. You SHOULD not feel bad about this!!!! We are human beings and are conditioned like animals to seek food. I lost 200 pounds on all supplements for 2 years and trust me, I had this issue in my house. I will completely admit to picking left-over fast food from my son or husband out of our garbage (only my home garbage - I had to draw the line somewhere)--- yep I said it ---- out of the garbage.

I lost my weight when my son was between 3 and 5 -- so Happy Meals were common, kid-cuisine TV dinners and so on. I would see that happy meal box in the garbage and just know that there were a few fries left and I would go for them. One time my parents sent home a tupperwear dish of spaghetti home for my son when I picked him up after work. Well
    son in the back seat strapped in the car seat and Mom eating spaghetti (yep - with my fingers) out of the tupperwear container while I drove!!!!! So --- my son's leftovers would either go in the garbage disposal or they would be ran under water before going into the garbage. I also learned a trick of having about 3 pieces of mint gum in my mouth while I was getting his food ready or cleaning it up from him to stop me from popping something into my mouth. I also remember visiting my parents and their leftover dinner would still be on the stove and I would go into the kitchen for coffee and grab food off a plate and sneak into my mouth (would only do this at my house or parents house) but still pretty bad. So
    hope this makes you feel NOT alone or strange. DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO
    No matter how strange it may seem to some people!! It is YOUR body and YOUR health. Protect it with YOUR life.