For the first time, I feel a tad bit lost

Options
First, I absolutely love MFP. It has been a wonderful tool on my healthy lifestyle journey. I credit it with helping me lose 10 pounds in a shorter time than I expected. Second, I am a very positive person and I always look for that silver lining behind every cloud. However, I am having a small "moment" while I am on my vacation. I feel lost or maybe a loss of control is more like it because I'm outside of my comfy environment and I don't have all of my tools for my daily regiment at my disposal. I miss my hula hoop. I miss my 25 ounce can that I use to drink my filtered water. I miss my "rubber" waistband that I use when I'm exercising. I miss my digital food scale. I think I'm having withdrawals. Yeah, that's it - withdrawals from not being able to do my thing. Oh Lord! I haven't exercised to the level I have grown accustomed to since Tuesday. On Wednesday, I began preparing for my vacation so I didn't exercise. On Thursday, I travelled but managed to get a few minutes of walking in while on my 3vacation hour layover at the airport. That was a loooooonnnggggg day. Yesterday morning, my girlfriend and I got up at 5the and did a 2.2 mile brisk walk around the lake where she normally goes to "get it in." Today, we plan to do it again - but not so early. So, with all of that said, I guess I feel better because I realize that I have done something, although not my norm which has included my 30thing day shred workout. Ok. So moving on to my calorie intake. I admit I was a little frustrated yesterday because I could not figure out how to document the food I had at the luncheon that my girlfriend's coworkers threw for her last day in her position. They had ordered a pan of pasta Alfredo and baked ziti as the main meal. Salad, bread, and soda on the side. Now I had just not too much before that ate "brunch" at IHOP. Anyway, I made sure to only get approx 1/2 cup of each - ziti and Alfredo. I ate some salad and drank a cup of sprite. My girlfriend said she believed the order came from Olive Garden. Fine I thought because I would be able to find it on MFP. To my amazement, I could not believe my options were limited. The only serving listed was as "1 portion" and that was for 770 calories!!! No way I thought. What do they consider as portion?? So I am still wrestling with how to document that. But later I enjoyed some Chinese food - shrimp lo mein and an egg roll - delivered from a restaurant that my girlfriend and her hubby enjoy. It was delicious. So I had two servings. Well, I found out that on MFP there are so many options and calorie ranges for the same type of food but from different sources. I felt overwhelmed and unsure which one may best represent what I had. I didn't want to choose something with too few or too high calories. Thus, my frustration and lost feeling. All in all I figure I blew my calorie budget and was feeling bad until I began writing this and getting my feelings out about it. I realize now that I don't have to let one day of shaky documenting get me down. Today is a new day and I look forward to doing the best I can with what I have. As long as I stay mindful of my actions and committed to my goals I will be alright. Thanks MFP for letting me have a place to vent my little "moment." I feel so much better. :-)

Replies

• Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat the small stuff! You've done great so far, just keep going!

Being from NZ, most of the food I eat isn't on MFP. I just choose the thing that looks closest.

And if the portion sizes are wrong, you can put in .5 of the serving, or 1.3 of the serving or whatever.

It isn't helpful when you get things like 'a portion' or 'a slice' instead of a weight or a size like 'a cup', but hey... we do the best we can and move on!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    It is very scary when you first have to let go of your "comfort blanket", but breathe deep and you will be OK.....

You are on holiday - enjoy it - and don't let calorie counting spoil that for you....

Here is what I do:

1) As far as possible try to make good choices (like you have) and try and control your portions
    2) I make very rough estimates based on what I know of my food I have at home - which I mostly just add as "Quick Add Calories"
    3) Walk as much as you can - get up a bit earlier - take a walk while others are napping - little walk before bedtime (not doing your normal routine should not be an issue) depending on where you are vacationing - can you hire bikes, kayaks, is there a pool/ocean where you can go for a swim etc - enjoy doing something different

Above all else enjoy yourself - dont let calorie counting ruin your vacation for yourself and your friends - and you might be pleasantly surprised that you get home, and that the damage on the scale is not all that bad.....

e.g - by following these rules I still lost 2.2kgs in 5 weeks while in Africa over XMAS, and stayed the same during a week in Fiji where I had no control over food choices - you ate what you were served every day.....and I had G&T's and a few beers too ;-)
  • Splinkysgirl2
    Options
    Thank you both for the reply. Much appreciated. :smile:
  • Moonset6
    Options
    Oh, Splink! Do not worry--you are so positive, and so dedicated, that a day or two with a few more calories and a little less exercise won't make a difference in the long run. Enjoy your vacation, do the best you can (as you already are), and you will be fine! And no need to feel lost--we Fitness Pals have our eyes on you!