Body fat % / weight loss

Hi Everyone,

I currently weigh approximately 170 lbs and my body fat % is 15%. It's my aim to get this to about 12-13%.

I was interested in knowing what affect this will have on my weight loss, assuming i don't gain much muscle mass in that time? Is there some kind of estimation of how much this will weigh?

I'm male and 27 years old, if that helps, and my body water % is around 63%

Zak

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    170 times 15% = How many lbs?
    170 times 12.5% = How many lbs?

Subtract the second from the first and thats how much fat estimate you would lose if you don't gain any muscle weight.
  • Assuming you lose NO muscle and all other variables stay the same, you would lose around 5 pounds to get to 12-13%.
    Keep in mind that those 5lbs have to be 100% fat.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Hi Everyone,

I currently weigh approximately 170 lbs and my body fat % is 15%. It's my aim to get this to about 12-13%.

I was interested in knowing what affect this will have on my weight loss, assuming i don't gain much muscle mass in that time? Is there some kind of estimation of how much this will weigh?

I'm male and 27 years old, if that helps, and my body water % is around 63%

Zak

Hi Zak, I hope you don't mind me doing math with your results.

I always make this known. Scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing.

Another thing I make known is that scale weight is the sum of the amount of pounds of fat and pounds of lean body mass a person is carrying.

There's a formula to use to figure out how much of your scale weight is from fat and how much is from lean body mass.

The formula:

Weight x Body fat percentage = Pounds of fat
    Weight - Pounds of fat = Pounds of lean body mass

Your results: Weight 170 Body Fat Percentage: 15%

170 x 15%(0.15) = 26 Pounds of fat
    170 - 26 = 144 Pounds of lean body mass

Your results:

Weight: 170
    BF: 15%
    POF: 26
    POLBM: 144

Use this formula to see how much pounds of fat you have to lose and what your future weight will be. Please keep in mind that pounds of fat loss has to be 100% fat loss and when you lose 100% pounds of fat, you will lose that same amount in scale weight.

Please note that if you have to lose 10 pounds of fat, it doesn't mean because you have loss 10 pounds of scale weight that you have loss 100% pounds of fat. That's why you have to use the above formula each time to track your progress. A 10 pounds scale weight loss can be the results of 5 pounds of fat loss and 5 pounds of lean body mass loss. 100% fat loss is the key and it will take time to get there. Why? Because fat loss is not easy to lose. A person can lose 5 pounds of scale weight in an hour, but they can't lose 5 pounds of fat in an hour.

The formula:

Original weight x desired body fat percentage = Future pounds of fat

Original lean body mass + future pounds of fat = Future weight

Original weight - future weight = 100% Pounds of Fat you have to lose

Lets see what 12% body fat percentage will be:

170 (original weight) x 12% (desired body fat percentage) = 20 (Future pounds of fat)

144 (Original lean body mass) + 20 (Future pounds of fat) = 164 (Future weight)

170 (Original weight) - 164 (Future weight) = 6 (100% Pounds of fat you to lose)

*** Lets see your end results would be:

Current results:

Future Results with 12% body fat percentage:

Weight: 164
    BF: 12%
    POF: 20

170 (Original weight) - 164 (Future weight) = 6 pounds of scale weight loss

15% (Original body fat percentage) - 12% (desired body fat percentage) = 3% body fat percentage loss

26 (Original Pounds of fat) - 20 (Future pounds of fat) = 6 pounds of fat loss

144 (Original pounds of lean body mass) - 144 (Future pounds of lean body mass) = 0 pounds of lean body mass loss

Let see what 13% body fat percentage will be:

170 (original weight) x 13% (desired body fat percentage) = 22 (Future pounds of fat)

144 (Original lean body mass) + 22 (Future pounds of fat) = 166 (Future weight)

170 (Original weight) - 166 (Future weight) = 4 (100% Pounds of fat you to have lose)

Current results:

Future Results with 13% body fat percentage

Weight: 166
    BF: 13%
    POF: 22

End Results:

170 (Original weight) - 166 (Future weight) = 4 pounds of scale weight loss

15% (original body fat percentage) - 13% (future desired body fat percentage) = 2% body fat percentage loss

26 (original pounds of fat) - 22 ( future pounds of fat) = 4 pounds of fat loss

144 (original pounds of lean body mass) - 144 (future pounds of lean body mass) = 0 pounds of lean body mass loss

Aim to lose 1 to 2 pounds of fat a week, 4 to 8 pounds of fat a month.

I want to note that a person that's aiming to lose fat can see a 2 pound scale loss in 30 days and a higher number of fat loss.

I know I have typed a lot . I hope this makes sense. Feel free to send me a message, if you have a question.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    You'll lose about 20% lean body mass as you cut down. Its normal. So just do the math and subtract 20%.
  • ZakWray
    ZakWray Posts: 20 Member
    wow azackery, thanks for taking time to reply in so much detail, i see now why its difficult to predict how much weight is required to lose to affect body fat % because it's impossible to know whether this is lean mass loss or not too.

furthermore i think i may have also been misguided my following the scales results in terms of body fat %, ive just bought a caliper to measure body fat instead so im hoping for more accurate results using this new method too.

thanks again for all ur replies, love the community spirit on here which helps others regularly, zak
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    wow azackery, thanks for taking time to reply in so much detail, i see now why its difficult to predict how much weight is required to lose to affect body fat % because it's impossible to know whether this is lean mass loss or not too.

furthermore i think i may have also been misguided my following the scales results in terms of body fat %, ive just bought a caliper to measure body fat instead so im hoping for more accurate results using this new method too.

thanks again for all ur replies, love the community spirit on here which helps others regularly, zak

You are welcome ZakWray. I try to get people to focus on their body fat percentage and pounds of fat, instead of their scale weight. I like to show people the difference between scale weight loss and fat loss.