Optimum heart rate for weight loss?

Options
Hi! The last time I went to see my physiotherapist, she told me that I shouldn't let my heart rate go over 120 when exercising if I wanted to lose weight. She also said I wouldn't lose weight if I exercised too hard. That surprised me as I had always thought that it was always good to push yourself as hard as you can when working out so I was a little confused. Before that, I've been keeping my heart rate at around 150-165 during exercise, I have been steadily losing weight, but I've noticed that when I don't exercise as intensively (HR 120-135), weight seems to suddenly fall off... Though it might not even be related to my HR and all that. Anyway, I hope I make sense. Could anyone clear this up for me please? Thank you! (:

Replies

• hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you keep your rate in the fat burning zone you'll burn all fat supposedly. If you go over that you'll burn from muscle too. I push hard and have a protein shake after. Personally id rather run and build up some leg strength and burn calories for 30 minutes instead of walking for however long to burn the same number of fat calories. Just my opinion.
  • kvolkman01
    Options
    I need the answer to this too!!! I keep my heart rate above 160 and do an average of 5 miles 4 to 6 times a week for 6 weeks now and not loosing weight. I also do weight training the same days and mostly eat right. But the eating better has come recently. Why is the weight hanging out?
  • nacs246
    nacs246 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You need to work out at 60-70percent of maximum HR in order to burn fat. Above that you only getting fitter because you just getting your lungs and heart to work harder and take in and out more oxygen/carbon dioxide. Also if you can workout at length of 45min to 60 min at that zone you burn calories for longer time after that during the day! Apparently spitting the workout does not have the same effect!!! There are varied opinions on this as well. I think interval training is the best way to do it. There is a topic on this by Jillian Michaels so if I can find it will post it for you to read:)
  • nacs246
    nacs246 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/01/a-beginners-guide-to-cardio/.
    Try reading this article ,hopefully it will help answer your questions:).
  • Fraileya19
    Options
    According to the American Heart Association, your maximum heart rate, measured in beats per minute, is 220 minus your age. If you take blood pressure medication speak to a DR.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/403703-what-should-my-heart-rate-be-when-exercising/#ixzz1bW1fxeCh
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    I keep my HR between 120 - 135 when I'm riding a stationary bike. But when using the elliptical or walking fast/jogging my HR stays anywhere around 140 - 160 but never higher then that. Based on my age and fitness level my average HR should be around 121 - 161 during cardio exercises.

here's the link if you want to try it out
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm