Are you a wine lover like me???

Options
Just watching a programme on tv which says one glass of wine is the same cals as a chocolate eclair!! OMG!! I might aswell shove cream cakes into my mouth.... shocking!!

I cant believe it I easly pour an extra glass of wine. Would I eat an extra cream cake??? Noooooooo.

Have you guys got any more shocking finds you'd like to share with me. It will deffo make me think twice before I have a glass of wine!!

Replies

• HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You can track your wine with MFP - I always do. I don't know about the equivalent of a choc eclair but a glass of red wine has about 70-120 calories in it.
  • lsjett1
    lsjett1 Posts: 20
    Options
    I love wine too! I go over my calories every weekend because of it!!! I switch to Captain Morgan and diet coke some weekends....only 60 calories a drink!
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here now with a glass of red ,,, i was also really shocked to see how many calories where in wine ive cut back allot i now have one to two nights a week were i can sit back and indulge in a few glasses its been hard but has helped my weight loss its just so easy to drink that iit doesnt seem like a hefty amount of calories but it is :( why do all the best things in life have to be so bad
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I love wine too, and really plan to have it. I find since I am only going to have one or two glasses a week, I can splurge on good wine, so it is now "quality vs. quantity" for me.

Since sugary, fatty foods, like the eclair, can send me into a binge of epic proprotions, I chose to splurge with calories on the wine anyway. I have no problems with it in moderation. Cake...not so much!
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Most wines are listed in MFP. I log them in just like food. I have never had a wine over 150 calories (unless I go with 2 or 3 glasses). A chocolate eclair is way more than that and for me usually eaten much quicker. I like to savor wine. The biggest kicker may be what one enjoys with the wine. For me that is cheese or almonds and the former is not all that low cal.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I love quality wine and unfortunatly in quantity lol. I simply refuse to share a bottle at weekends its my little pleasure. I used to pour a drink every evening when I come home from work now I only drink once a week. I did check the cals on here and yes it was round about the same for a small eclaire vs a small glass of red :O/

Happy drinking everyone lol x
  • duffydog1
    duffydog1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love wiine - live in France - can't get away from it.

I have either one glass or a G&T every night and save the calories for it. It keeps me sane!
  • vsmith1981
    vsmith1981 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I save calories for my wine on the weekends but I also drink a lot less now that I am making an effort to lose weight.

On a day when I am planning to drink I try to make sure my food choices are good but not highly caloric and then if I know it is going to be the kind of evening where I have a whole bottle of wine, I "save" the 600 cals for that. I've had to TRAIN myself not to snack while I drink - that was also a huge change.

If you look at my diet journal from yesterday you will see how I managed it.
  • vsmith1981
    vsmith1981 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    yeesh although now looking at the 750 cals I drank last night, thinking I need to change away from white wine...
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yeah booze was a big factor for me in my weight gain - bacardi and coke and red wine every friday night. Plus, dearly beloved started me onto the pleasures of real ale too. Delish, but omg the calories!

I have kind of imposed a strict "special occasions and holidays only" rule to myself until I reach goal/maintenance.

I just can't stand throwing away the empty calories at the minute. Rest assured, when I hit goal I'm buying myself a fantastic Italian Barolo and drinking that with Dearly Beloved to celebrate :)
  • ChatSournois
    Options
    I loooooove wine!!. I have it on a Friday and Saturday night & really look forward to it. I just count it up on MFP and don't feel guilty about it..not even one little bit. I reckon if you deprive yourself of something, the cravings will start and before you know it you're on a binge fest!
    It looks like you have a stressfull job so I say drink some now and then to relax..listen to Dr. Chatsournois!!
  • helma123
    helma123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love wine & usually drink too much of it when I have it. I log it just like food. Although I have pledged not to drink any of it before I run a marathon in November. It's gonna be a longggg 22 days!
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Wine rocks and I always log it, yay!!:drinker:
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    A glass of wine has the same calories as a large coffee with cream and sugar. I gave up my coffee, but kept my wine :)
    I just save the calories for it.
  • Booboo78
    Booboo78 Posts: 169
    Options
    Yup, wine lover here too!

But the calories can really add up, especially the more you drink, the more you stop caring about the cals, and just pour, pour, pour away!

Which is the reason why I've had to really restrict it now, as it was THE prime reason for my weight gain. I only drink it on special occasions now, ie people's birthdays, weddings, Christmas, etc.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Yup, wine lover here too!

But the calories can really add up, especially the more you drink, the more you stop caring about the cals, and just pour, pour, pour away!

Which is the reason why I've had to really restrict it now, as it was THE prime reason for my weight gain. I only drink it on special occasions now, ie people's birthdays, weddings, Christmas, etc.

Weekdays, weekends, months that have 30 or 31 days, etc.

You know....special occasions.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    I drink wine and I have no plans to stop. I simply make sure to add it into my food diary for the day and plan accordingly (like tonight!). I even went ahead and added the second glass I will most likely have in. :drinker:
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Wow, where are you finding chocolate eclaires that low in calories?!?! LOL
    I log, so I have watched the calories in my wine, along with everything else I eat lately, and a glass (which technically is 5oz, though I & most of us fill them fuller, and drink more than 1) of most of my usual wines are around 100. I'd be hard pressed to find an eclair that low-cal. Most things of that nature I have run across tend into the 300-500 cal range.
    Most wines are listed in MFP. I log them in just like food. I have never had a wine over 150 calories (unless I go with 2 or 3 glasses). A chocolate eclair is way more than that and for me usually eaten much quicker. I like to savor wine. The biggest kicker may be what one enjoys with the wine. For me that is cheese or almonds and the former is not all that low cal.
    Yep!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would far rather factor in a couple of glasses of wine than a chocolate eclair.

It's rubbish, anyway. A glass of wine is 150 ish cals. A cream cake is 300 plus.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I will readily admit on social occasions, which are not often for me, maybe once every 2 months if that, I will skip a meal to give myself extra alcohol calorie allowance.