Slow & Steady Wins The Race

Options
It is official. Since beginning to buckle down on my weight a year ago, I have lost over 30 lbs and am back to the weight I was when I graduated high school! I flipped through some old pictures of me last night. Gross, embarrassing, and I never want to see them again. Now at 130 lbs, I wouldn't mind losing another 5 (125 or under, what the heck!), but my main job is to never let myself get back to that place again. Lesson learned? Real weight loss happens over a long period of time. Mine was a little over 2 lbs a month! Slow going, but obviously worth it in the end! Happy losing!

Replies

• czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    OMG...that's too funny, I just replied to someone disappointed with a pound a week weight loss with your title...slow and steady wins the race! :flowerforyou:
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on sticking with it to achieve your success!
  • tac1155
    Options
    Congrats! That is inspiratation.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring. I have been that frustrated person for 10 years! If I can keep 2 lbs a month off for good I will appreciate it like you do! Congratulations!
  • CountandBaxter
    CountandBaxter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I think everyone agrees with this. I started MFP in January and have lost about 5lbs per month. and this year long journey (which will probably take me that long to get past my plateau) has helped me change my eating habits. Habits can only be changed over a long period of time.
  • gracielou09
    Options
    And it will be easy to keep it off since you took your time! Congrats!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    It is official. Since beginning to buckle down on my weight a year ago, I have lost over 30 lbs and am back to the weight I was when I graduated high school! I flipped through some old pictures of me last night. Gross, embarrassing, and I never want to see them again. Now at 130 lbs, I wouldn't mind losing another 5 (125 or under, what the heck!), but my main job is to never let myself get back to that place again. Lesson learned? Real weight loss happens over a long period of time. Mine was a little over 2 lbs a month! Slow going, but obviously worth it in the end! Happy losing!

Hi Smaem, first off I want to say congratulation on your loss. Keep up the good work.

Do you only track your scale weight or do you track both your scale weight and body fat percentage?

Scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing. For a healthy weight loss it's recommended to lose between 1 to 2 pounds a week. This is not talking about scale weight, it's talking about fat loss. Scale weight is easy to lose. A person can lose 5 pounds of scale weight in an hour, but they can't lose 5 pounds of scale weight in an hour.

Losing 1- 2 pounds of fat a week, equals to 4 to 8 pounds a month. Some people loses less than a pound of fat a week and that's okay. Some say lose 1/2 a pound to 1 pound a week and that's still fine.

You've lost 1/2 a week.

If you were tracking your body fat percentage and did the math, you could have found out if your 2 pounds scale weight loss was 100% fat or maybe the results or more pounds of fat loss. For all you know, you could have loss 3 pounds of fat, although you have just lost 2 pounds of scale weight.

I do my weigh in every month. I track my body fat percentage, pounds of fat and inches loss. This month I have lost 2.6 pounds. In 30 days, I've lost 2.6 pounds, but guess what? Although, my scale showed a 2.6 scale weight loss, I lost 3 pounds of fat.

Fat is what I want to lose. I don't care about scale weight loss. Fat loss makes a person lean. Scale weight loss can still have a person fat.

If you aren't tracking your body fat percentage, please do so, to see the difference between scale weight loss and fat loss.
  • smaem
    smaem Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks, AZackery, and sorry about a late reply. Yes you are correct. Fat loss is what I was referring to, although I simply stated it as pounds lost for simplicity reasons. I track inches, pounds, as well as body fat %, and there were significant differenecs in all measuements. Since muscle is much more dense, it weighs much more than fat. I appreciate your advice, but I'm afraid you're preachin' to the chior!
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've lost 2 lbs. in a little over a month, but each lb. lost is just that much sweeter =)
  • CliffsKat
    Options
    I've been at a stand still for the past few weeks and I've been discouraged about losing 23lbs in 6 months....I shouldn't complain. LOL I would have been so discouraged at your slow pace, but you kept going. I rethink my ways!
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Mine has been slow going too, but I maintenance not gain on my off days, or weeks sometimes. Congrats on your weight loss
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I was around the same weight as you but just recently put on a few... I don't mind if its slow I just know I refuse to buy bigger clothes again! Good job and good luck for the future!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!