Reasonable amount of pounds to lose in a week?

Options
I've been working out daily and making healthy food choices but I can only manage to lose .5 to about 1.5 pounds a week. Kind of a silly question, but is this typical? Or is there ways I could lose two to three? Losing only one pound is satisfying but I always want a little more! :) thanks guys

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    This depends on your current stats. Heavier people can generally create larger deficits.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    No, people as thin as you should not lose 3lbs a week (unless it's all water weight). In my opinion, you should only be trying for a half pound a week.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Well... you would definitely be in trouble if you were on 'The Biggest Loser'.

But here in the real world, you're doing awesome.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    If you are not that heavy then you will lose slowly. You have to have a calorie deficit to lose pounds. If you want to up your deficit, work out a little more (even just an extra 30 minutes can make a difference!) or eat less, but no less than 1200 calories a day!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would say 1/2 to 1 lb a week loss is a sensible sustainable aim. I think more than that isn't. I lost the weight I wanted to at a rate of on average 0.6 lbs a week, and everyone I know has commented on how fast I lost it. I wouldn't have wanted to go any faster.
  • klkopa
    klkopa Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    losing slowly is the healthiest way to lose. losing too much in a short period of time sets you up for gaining it all back.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    half to a pound and a half is an excellent weight loss regime. you COULD lose more, but unless you continuously keep up the level of exercise and the lack of eating, it will come back quickly. remember, start off nice and slow, and you can go forever.

hmmm... i'm going to have to remember one that for the bedroom later.
  • ineed2bskinny
    Options
    2lbs a week?
  • KaleyCo
    Options
    Thank you guys for your input, just wanted to make sure my progress was "somewhat" normal! Thanks again
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    1 to 2 pounds a week. 4 to 8 pounds a month.
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    A few doctors that I have been to see, and advice that has been given to me from family members which go to slimming clubs, is that on average a person can safely lose 2-3lb a week. Some people lose more, some people lose less and I'm guessing that's due to the metabolism of the individual.

tl;dr 2-3lb a week is the safe limit.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    .5 to 1.5 pounds consistently is very good.
  • HoneyDancer
    Options
    I've always heard from fitness professionals that 1-2 lbs a week was ideal. I just signed up here and the calculator suggested that I lose even less than 1lb a week so I'm not too thrilled about that.
  • mandimommy
    Options
    I didn't have much to lose, 18 pounds to get to where I am now (140 at 5'5") and I want to lose 10 more. it has taken me 10 months. I did have surgery in Mary so that kept exercise out of the equation for about 8 weeks. Sounds slow to some, but I am confident I won't ever gain it back so I am good with that.