I have Halloween Candy and no self control

Options
I have 3 children who love Halloween candy. I DON't want it in my house. They did their first trick o treating today and I am already beating myself up wanting it. How do you stay away from bad food in the house???

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    If I have it.....I make myself work off every calorie doing a hard exercise....I won't eat much then.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Put the candy down and walk away.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Eat one piece. Walk away. Forget about it. Repeat daily.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I pray for crappy candy!
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Let's talk about how I just downed like 5 kit kat bars. Ya..Ya. I hate halloween. lol
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I seriously am considering being a scrooge and not buying any candy for trick or treat because I KNOW I'll eat lots of it regardless of what it is, just because it will sitting there. I'm considering going to the gym during this time instead of passing out candy...mean as that is!
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Have them invite friends over, hope to have all the good stuff wiped out in one go. Or send it to school, or bring it to your co-workers, or throw it out.

If all else fails, I use my 2 bottles of water trick. If you want a piece, drink a bottle of water, eat ONE PIECE, drink another bottle of water. See how many you go back for...
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Have your neighbors store it for you. If the kids ask for it tell them that Halloween in on October 31st, so deal with it. On Halloween, give it all out and if there is a ton left put a bowl outside of the house. The lingering teens will clean it out for you. As for the stuff the kids bring home, well cant help you with that just don't steal their candy ok?

Can you tell I've had to master this myself:laugh: yeah I feel your pain. I've applied these strategies and they work.. It's tough cause I like to buy the "good stuff".
  • Shannoncore
    Options
    all of my candy is still sealed in bags ready for trick or treaters. something i do when i really want a sweet is i find out the calories before hand and make my self go and work them off before i eat them. by the time i am done i don't want anything to do with the candy. i had just worked so hard pulling 500 calories off of my hips there is no way i am going to eat them again :)
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Your kids love halloween candy because you give it to them. You love halloween candy because you eat it. Put it down, and give your kids some limitations on how much they can eat.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Honestly i cant have sweets in the house either, We dont celebrate halloween , but My daughter loves chocolate! I am like an alcoholic who cant be around alcohol with sweets! *really* Make sure it gets eaten fast and gets otta the house, plus this time of year the stores have all that crap taunting us!!! I honestly feel for you I am so glad my kids arent going to be bringing in boat loads of candy, because I know I would be getting out the choclate bars!
  • Maryee71
    Maryee71 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Have them each pick out 10 pieces, then wrap the rest up and put in the freezer for another time. Sometimes, out of site , out of mind.
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    By the way, I am so glad to see so many people struggle with this...I always felt so alone.

Also another suggestion. Pick out like 8 of your FAVORITE pieces put them aside. Then you can "Treat" yourself to 2 pieces a day for 4 days out of the week. Put it somewhere safe, so you know it won't go anywhere, and feel obligated to eat it all in one go. Then enjoy next week and look forward to your little "Treats". Since they'll probably be snack sized their not huge calorie counts, you'll feel positive about it (no sneaking or binge eating), and you'll be less tempted to eat other junk because you're saving your calories for your TREATS.
  • Danilindsmom
    Danilindsmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have one fun size as a Snack. Kills the cravings and I am starting to realize the calories are not worth it! I would rather eat something bigger for same Calories. Just told my kids I am buying crappy candy this Year. No chocolate or candy corn.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Danilindsmom
    Danilindsmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great idea!
  • thardin323
    Options
    I have a rubbermaid crate that is kept in our basement (if you don't have a basement - find another out of the way area like high on a shelf or on the bottom of a closet with things piled on top of it) and that is where my son's goodies have been kept for years. This would also be good for Halloween candy. For starters, if you are going to give out candy at your house, do NOT buy the candy until the day of Halloween. Do not buy an over-abundance either. As it starts getting later, start giving out more candy to each kid. Make sure every piece is gone by the time you turn out the porch light. Then keep your kids candy in the crate. For me the basement was perfect, because I had to climb down the stairs and up again to get any treats. Before I had lost any weight, the difficulty of climbing the stairs to get his snacks reminded me why I was CHOOSING not to eat HIS snacks. Then as I lost weight and notified how easier it was to go up/down the stairs, I pointed out to myself on the way to the crate that moving better up/down the stairs was FAR better than a treat from the crate. I also suggest putting either on of your heavier pictures right on the top of the crate or maybe a thinner picture that you would like to return to. I would also put little notes on his food that would say his name. This would remind me that just because they were HIS snacks did not mean they needed to be MY snacks. I would sometimes put sticky notes on tempting food that would say NOT FOR ME. After a while, I put one of those notes on my heaviest picture hanging on my refrigerator ---NOT FOR ME.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i have little control on halloween but i dont worry about it since im walking or dancing for hours i desurve to treat myself to as much sugary yummyness i want too, and the days after i usualy dont want more then 1-2 pieces
  • Kdonovan512
    Kdonovan512 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's it! I'm going trick or treating!
  • alyssatuininga
    alyssatuininga Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I pray for crappy candy!

LOL
  • alyssatuininga
    alyssatuininga Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. We live in a very rural area so we don't get trick o treaters or buy candy. My problem is my kids candy (and they are so sweet and willing to share). I like the water idea and the bucket idea and labeling it theirs. I also like the idea of only one snack size thing only on days I work out. I was proud of myself that I managed to only eat one at the Halloween party and none of the junk food- cookies, brownies, cake, etc that was there I stuck to water and one peanut butter cup. It is nice to know that others struggle with it too!