Addiction to Buying Junk Food

amymaria91
amymaria91 Posts: 202
edited October 4 in Food and Nutrition
Before deciding to lose weight, did anyone find they had an addiction to buying junk food? Not so much an addiction to eating it, but to buying it?

Once I got home I only ate it because I thought it would be a waste of money to through it away. Quite often I'd be sat having a gorge eating loads of junk food, not enjoying it just not wanting to waste it.

Was anyone else like this?

Replies

• skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Yes, I like to buy bars of chocolate and ice cream tubs to sort of have a collection.
    i'm weird. I know.
  • carrie564
    carrie564 Posts: 44 Member
    I think there's an easy way to change up your paradigm to break that habit. Imagine this: If it were possible for you to just grab a chunk of fat off your arm or belly and throw it in the trash, wouldn't you do that? Or would that be 'wasting' it? Start viewing junk food that way. If you ever feel a speck of courage in not finish something on your plate when it's not healthy, throw it out. And hopefully you'll naturally avoid taking as much (or buying it at all) next time. :)
  • I like that analogy, it's put it into perspective.

Thank you!!
  • jillbrad
    jillbrad Posts: 5 Member
    yep, it was more of 'what came first - the chicken or the egg'. your brain knows the outcome of having the food (not just junk) ie eating it, but you unconciously have long forgotton that, (possibly because not wanting to deal with the guilt after 'it' has been consumed). So you still buy, knowing (secretly) that you are going to eat. It can be the same as buying clothes and they're still in your wardrobe years later with the labels on - you keep them 'cause its a waste to throw them away! i needed a big reprogramming therapy and an excellent hypnotherapist has helped tremendously - she identifed the problem/behavior.
This discussion has been closed.