Read Any Good Books Lately?

theaterfan23
theaterfan23 Posts: 256 Member
So I am going on vacation next week and I am thinking about taking a paperback instead of my Nook, so I can start reading as soon as I get on the airplane instead of waiting for the signal to use electronic devices. Anybody have any book recommendations?

Replies

• miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. (Starts with Darkfever) I nabbed all five of them on my Nook and am THRILLED I did, 'cause I plowed through them in about three days.

After that, Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse Novels). I usually assume folks have read this if they're inclined to read the genre.

Then I'm currently reading Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward, which is good, although less gripping than both the Fever series and the SVM books (once you get past book 1, that is). I also like to recommend Anita Blake (Hamilton), on the caveat that you stop reading around book 10, when it goes from pretty good to train wreck.

Yes, I am a genre specific reader. I'm a fantasy reader, and not harlequin fantasy. PNR, that's been my gig recently (paranormal romance). Enjoy your vacation!!
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    bring it by Tony Horton!
  • ktblum
    ktblum Posts: 15 Member
    I really enjoyed Tiger's Curse and Tiger's Quest by Colleen Houck.
  • If you like thrillers, anything by Tess Gerritson or Simon Kernick
  • mightymom2
    mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
    I've just started reading Game of Thrones bye George R.R. Martin....so far its holding my attention
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    And, while I'm thinking on things on my NOOK...

Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling.
    MYTH Series - Robert Asprin
    Incarnations of Immortality - Piers Anthony
    Dragonlance - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
    Vampire Diaries - L.J. Smith
    Belgariad and Malloreon (series) - David Eddings
    Harry Dresden - Jim Butcher
    Women of the Otherworld - Kelley Armstrong (how did I forget this - I *love* this series!)

Been reccomended to me, haven't read yet:
    Richele Mead's Succubus series
    Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series

Needless to say, I'm a series buff. If it's got less than three books in it, I probably haven't read it. XD But, that's the way I like my books - grand overarching plots, character development galore, and settings that feel real. ^_^
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member

After that, Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse Novels). I usually assume folks have read this if they're inclined to read the genre.
    I did love those!

Can't you use your Nook on a plane? Even if you turn off the internet connection part? (I have a Kindle, but I'm techno-dumb and don't know that kind of terminology).

Anyway... Have you read the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin? That's always my first recommendation, I think. Well deserved. LOL

What kind of genres do you like? Historical fiction, do you like Philippa Gregory books? She has some really popular ones, but her older books are great, too. Margaret George is probably my favorite, though, her books are HUGE though- trust me only use your ereader. If you want something lighter, have you read Sarah Addison Allen's books? I LOVE her.

Tell us what you like, I'll have more suggestions!
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    the atlantis code- charles brokaw

and anything by paulo coelho is a wonderful read
  • SarabellPlus3
    Oh, I loooooooooooved all of his books. The Alchemist was one of those life-altering books.
  • SkateboardFi
    Oh, I loooooooooooved all of his books. The Alchemist was one of those life-altering books.

have you read 11 minutes? it'll change the way you look at things, and i agreee aout the alchemist. i couldn't put it down, and it made me rethink how i approach my life. i tend to be very negative and my boyfriend suggested i read it.
  • SarabellPlus3

have you read 11 minutes? it'll change the way you look at things, and i agreee aout the alchemist. i couldn't put it down, and it made me rethink how i approach my life. i tend to be very negative and my boyfriend suggested i read it.
    I haven't, I'll put it on my list next! The names that first jump to mind are of course The Alchemist, then The Devil and Mrs. Prym, Veronica Decides to Die, and The Zahir. I read The Alchemist long ago, then the others probably only a year ago, and I meant to go back and read everything of his I could find, but I must have gotten off course. I will get back on! Thanks for the reminder.
  • I've just finished 'The Fifth Woman' by Henning Mankell and I would highly recommend it. It's a crime thriller and it's translated from Swedish. It's very clever and I'm looking forward to reading more of these books.
  • norma67
    norma67 Posts: 255 Member
    Christine Feehan just had a new book come out. But my nook still travel everywhere with me...lol I am an avid reader
  • SkateboardFi

I haven't, I'll put it on my list next! The names that first jump to mind are of course The Alchemist, then The Devil and Mrs. Prym, Veronica Decides to Die, and The Zahir. I read The Alchemist long ago, then the others probably only a year ago, and I meant to go back and read everything of his I could find, but I must have gotten off course. I will get back on! Thanks for the reminder.

ahhh the devil and miss prym, i couldn't put that one down to save my life! but yeah i think you'll enjoy 11 minutes
  • theaterfan23
    theaterfan23 Posts: 256 Member
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions!! My library has a wonderful selection of books on there ongoing booksale shelves so I am going tomorrow to see what they have and will consult all of these wonderful selections as I browse the shelves!
  • If you like thrillers with very intriguing characters, I recommend anything by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. If you've never read any of their stuff, start with Relic and continue chronologically. Their books have given me a fictional crush on Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast.. :)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    I like anything by Tim LaHaye.
  • Maryjaneshoes
    Maryjaneshoes Posts: 169 Member
    The Passage, Justin Crowning. Amazing! I really loved The Help, too!
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    I've just started reading Game of Thrones bye George R.R. Martin....so far its holding my attention

I'm on the second book of this series - they're gooood :)

Also:
    1. Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
    2. The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffeneger
    3, The Help - Kathryn Stockett
    4. The Millenium Series (I liked the first one best: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) - Stieg Larsson
    5, Room - Emma Donoghue
    6. Scar Tissue - Anthony Kiedis and Larry Soloman

.. I could go on :)