TOM is here.

Options
So, not to complain or anything (I love it when people say this and then start complaining, so that is what I'm going to do) but I REALLY hate TOM, some months I gain weight and some I don't get affected at ALL. I really don't understand the difference. So I have been working out and eating healthy and haven't been going over my calories (except by 80 on day) and I got down to 223 which is my low, I'm 1 lb away from being at 40 lbs lost and now its TOM. ARGGGGH! Anyway, so two days ago, I didn't go over calories at all and I gained a lb then last night I went over by 80 calories and I gained 2 MORE pounds. I just don't get it. I know its time for TOM so I'm assuming that is why, but its still frustrating. Just thought I would vent. =) I hope these extra lbs come RIGHT off after I'm done. I guess I wouldn't be so mad if I was off track or wasn't exercising, then I'd understand, but since I've been doing my part it kinda of irks me. Do you other women have the same problem? And does the weight come back off afterward?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    here's a crazy idea, don't weigh yourself everyday. if you do, don't worry about day to day fluctuations in water weight. even better ditch the scale and use the mirror and tape measure to determine if you're on the right track
  • ManderG03
    ManderG03 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    NO WORRIES DEAR. YOU WILL LOSE THEM!! WE ALL RETAIN WATER WHEN "TOM" COMES AROUND. IT HAPPENS TO ME ALL THE TIME. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!!
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    They'll come right off when you are done :) Mine just did. Actually... Even MORE than I was expecting came off.

Keep it up!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    here's a crazy idea, don't weigh yourself everyday. if you do, don't worry about day to day fluctuations in water weight. even better ditch the scale and use the mirror and tape measure to determine if you're on the right track

This is why I love you.

Yes, all women experience a gain due to water retention during menstruation. Don't worry, you're not "getting fat" because of it, it's just a number. Keep doing what you're doing and the water weight will go away in a week.
  • CaliSweden
    Options
    I hate tom.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options

You retain water during TOM, You can gain from 3 to 10lbs, it will return to normal after depending what you eat during this time. Drinking a lot of water exercising and not giving in to ALL the cravings.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Pure craziness.

We have been dealing with TOM for years ladies. You should know what to expect
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    wow for something that occurs once a month , there are atleast 4threads a day here
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I <3 TOM. It lets me know, I'm not pregnant. ba ha hah a
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Would you like to be marked on my special "Cylcles of the MFPers" calendar in purple, pink, or green ink?
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    wow for something that occurs once a month , there are atleast 4threads a day here
    Agreed. We need something weird and original like someone drinking brackish fishtank water.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Agreed. We need something weird and original like someone drinking brackish fishtank water.

now you can add havign root beer (diet) shoot through your nose from laughing so hard to that
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Believe me I have tried this. And I know it seems like I'm crazy right now, but usually I don't worry about the everyday up and downs, today I was kinda upset because it was 3 lbs. When I don't weigh myself I get completely off track and for some reason measuring never works as well for me, but I do measure as well, just not as often as I weigh.
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Pure craziness.

We have been dealing with TOM for years ladies. You should know what to expect

Yeah, but I usually don't have any gain really when I have my TOM, its weird. So the random 3 lb gain when it hasn't even started yet and I wasn't over eating was crazy to me.
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I <3 TOM. It lets me know, I'm not pregnant. ba ha hah a

^this
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 2-5lbs. But since I've been watching carbs it hasn't been as bad. Last month I actually saw a loss instead of a gain which is very unusual. The only other symptom I have is increased hunger. But no cravings. So it could be worse!