i haven't been eating enough

With work and school and just a busy schedule in general lately, I've looked at my calorie totals and I've been averaging about 700it calories a day for the past few weeks. I know that's not good so I am going to make it a point to eat more but I'm nervous that these three weeks being low like that if I start eating more, around 1300 to 1400, will I just gain alot of weight? Maybe I should gradually ease back up my calorie intake? Y'all have been so helpful with all my other questions I was hoping you all could answer this one. :)

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    I'm really not sure, but I can relate.
    I was eating under 1200 for a week to a week and a half.. Now that I'm feeling better and able to eat more, I'm a bit worried about my metabolism having slowed down because of it...
    So far though, I haven't gained and I've been eating right for 3 days :) So you probably will be safe upping your calories all at once.

Congrats on realizing it's healthier to eat more! :) And I hope someone posts a good answer in this thread.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    You can just get some nuts, peanut butter or add olive oil to some thing else and make it pretty easily.
  • I would increase your cals all at once. Your body needs those calories to function properly. Health is more important than vanity :]
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    it takes 3500 extra calories per week above what your body needs to survive and be able to do all your activities in order to gain one lb so no you will not gain weight. you might even lose faster. so go ahead, eat up.
  • Rogns008
    Rogns008 Posts: 51 Member
    You'll be fine if you get up to a normal level of calories per day. Your body has a basic metabolic rate where it will naturally burn so many calories a day based on your weight, age, and gender. Some people might believe that your metabolism could have gone down in this time, but there are plenty of things you can do to keep your metabolism up. Eat smaller meals throughout the day (this one probably wont work for you since you are busy a lot, I work full time and go to school full time, so it doesn't work for me), drink coffee, eat spicy foods, drink a lot of water, and avoid artificial sweeteners for a week or so.
  • You'll be fine if you get up to a normal level of calories per day. Your body has a basic metabolic rate where it will naturally burn so many calories a day based on your weight, age, and gender. Some people might believe that your metabolism could have gone down in this time, but there are plenty of things you can do to keep your metabolism up. Eat smaller meals throughout the day (this one probably wont work for you since you are busy a lot, I work full time and go to school full time, so it doesn't work for me), drink coffee, eat spicy foods, drink a lot of water, and avoid artificial sweeteners for a week or so.

Eating small meals throughout the day does not speed up your metabolism.
  • Rogns008
    Rogns008 Posts: 51 Member
    You'll be fine if you get up to a normal level of calories per day. Your body has a basic metabolic rate where it will naturally burn so many calories a day based on your weight, age, and gender. Some people might believe that your metabolism could have gone down in this time, but there are plenty of things you can do to keep your metabolism up. Eat smaller meals throughout the day (this one probably wont work for you since you are busy a lot, I work full time and go to school full time, so it doesn't work for me), drink coffee, eat spicy foods, drink a lot of water, and avoid artificial sweeteners for a week or so.

Just stating what I've heard in the past... Eating five small meals is better than three, and a whole lot better than one.
  • You'll be fine if you get up to a normal level of calories per day. Your body has a basic metabolic rate where it will naturally burn so many calories a day based on your weight, age, and gender. Some people might believe that your metabolism could have gone down in this time, but there are plenty of things you can do to keep your metabolism up. Eat smaller meals throughout the day (this one probably wont work for you since you are busy a lot, I work full time and go to school full time, so it doesn't work for me), drink coffee, eat spicy foods, drink a lot of water, and avoid artificial sweeteners for a week or so.

Just stating what I've heard in the past... Eating five small meals is better than three, and a whole lot better than one.

What you have heard is very wrong. Myths spread easy unfortunately :/

I would read this if you get the time :D

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

:flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    There might be some fluctuation on the scale when you first increase your calories, but it's temporary, not a real "gain."
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member

Okay. I am going to step up and say that I do not care what is said about eating more often not helping your metabolism. I disagree. I know that for MY BODY - eating every few hours is far better for me overall than not. I don't give a hoot who says what or what studies says I am wrong. This is my body and I know how it works better than anyone else ever will. Eating on a regular basis is good for me all the way around - whether or not someone else says it keeps my metabolism up doesn't matter to me. *I* know it works best for me and will continue doing it.

Okay. I am going to step up and say that I do not care what is said about eating more often not helping your metabolism. I disagree. I know that for MY BODY - eating every few hours is far better for me overall than not. I don't give a hoot who says what or what studies says I am wrong. This is my body and I know how it works better than anyone else ever will. Eating on a regular basis is good for me all the way around - whether or not someone else says it keeps my metabolism up doesn't matter to me. *I* know it works best for me and will continue doing it.

And if its working for you chevy keep it up! Like you said in an earlier post. Everyone is different!

I just don't like blanket statements that say everyone SHOULD be eating 5-6 times a day to help their metabolism. Not everyone works that way!

Once again chevy keep up the great work! You rock :flowerforyou:
    ANnd can I borrow some of your metabolism pleeeeease? :D
  • schmenly
    schmenly Posts: 57 Member
    Just read this on Yahoo, "food" for thought...

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/8-scary-food-myths-busted
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member

And if its working for you chevy keep it up! Like you said in an earlier post. Everyone is different!

I just don't like blanket statements that say everyone SHOULD be eating 5-6 times a day to help their metabolism. Not everyone works that way!

Once again chevy keep up the great work! You rock :flowerforyou:
    ANnd can I borrow some of your metabolism pleeeeease? :D

My metabolism is ridiculously high - especially since I'm pushing towards 40 years old and they say it slows down after 30 or so. Mine is red hot and going strong.

LOL.