What do you do with Kale?

Options
I use an organic veggie and fruit service fresh from farms every week and this week I got some kale. I've seen it discussed in all articles about nutrition but how do you eat it?

What do you do with it?

Replies

• Teeteetare
    Options
    We juice it at our house.
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people make kale chips out of them. I haven't tried it though.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My husband sautes shrimp and fresh garlic, then adds the kale (chopped with tough stems removed). Add lots of kale - it cooks down to nothing. Saute until kale starts to wilt - just a couple of minutes. Put is over Quinoa or rice. Season with lemon juice and maybe some lemon pepper. It is really delicious!!

I like to add it to egg white omelets with a slice of tomato - YUM!!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    My mom made it in with a pasta like a ziti dish. It was very very good.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Put it in soup or pasta, or add it to smoothies. I don't like kale chips, unfortunately.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Mostly soup here. But I imagine you could try it on anything that you would normally put greens on/in.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    chop and saute with olive oil and garlic.
  • littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I made these greens and beans last week that feature kale. We really liked them a lot and will definitely have them again.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/greens-n-beans-recipe/index.html

I figured it out at 45 calories for a 1/2 cup. You might want to recheck my math, though. I'm not 100% sure it is correct. I think it is, though. I try to be really careful.

(This is my first post. I hope it is ok that I posted a link.)
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    chips
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You can make a DELISHOUS soup.

Sautee some Italian chicken sausage with some onions and garlic in olive oil.
    Add some chickens stock and some thinly sliced potatoes.
    Garlic salt to tast and some crushed red chili flake. At the last minute add the kale. Cook it for less than a minute as you still want to ti keep that awesome color and not get mushy.

It's really similar to Olive Garden's Toscana soup.

I love it!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    feed it to my lizzard lol
  • oreolover
    oreolover Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You can use it anywhere you use greens (cooked or I used to eat raw in salad).
    Also kale chips are good (toss in a little olive oil, seasoning of choice and bake in low oven until crispy - very addictive).
    They are also great for lettuce wraps/roll ups, since it is much sturdier than lettuce and travels better if bringing a lunch.

Enjoy!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    I eat mine raw in salad. I mix it in with spinach & romaine.
  • nutritionlori
    Options
    I love kale chips. Just bake them in the oven about 350 for 5-7 minutes depending on how crunchy or chewy you like them. I usually spray them very lightly with some olive oil and then after they are done sprinkle lightly with sea salt or some garlic. I also will just tear them up and eat it raw in salads. I have too used it in juice, stir-fry and soups.
  • jacsen12158
    Options
    I chop it in a white bean and kale soup, I use a chicken base and add white beans. onions and kale it is very tasty.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I use it in my smoothies. Delicious! I'm making kale chips tomorrow, though!
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Kale chips!

One bunch of kale
    1. the ends removed
    2. run your hand up the kale leaf and pull the leaf away from the stalky center.
    3. Make sure it is very dry and place in a large bowl.
    4. Mix with approx 1 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with smoky paprika (or sea salt).
    5. Spread out on a baking sheet. Make sure there is space between them, you may need to make 2-3 batches.
    6. Bake for approx 350 degrees for 15 minutes. (The can burn quickly so watch out). The taste just like potato chips!
  • MikeDailyIntake
    Options
    put it in soups, the kale in olive gardens white soup (forgot the name) has kale in it, and it's the best damn soup i ever had
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I usually cook it in boiling water, drain it, run cool water over it, drain and squeeze out the extra water and then chop it up to mix in with roasted red pepper, corn kernels, chopped onion, and a bit of Tony Chachre's cajun seasoning. yum!