Does anyone take a day off?

Options
I've been on MFP pretty regular as of late, and the success is showing. Yesterday though, I was busy, and just blew off my regular schedule of eating and logging. I didn't eat terrible, but I didn't eat great either. I was frustrated and ended up not logging anything at all.
So, just wondering, do any of you all out there ever just take a day off? Would appreciate any feedback on the matter before I continue beating myself up about it.

Replies

• krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Of course. Life happens.
  • kslindner
    kslindner Posts: 107
    Options
    YES!!! Everyone deserves a cheat day / day off. If you don't allow yourself this, you will go crazy. Any diet will tell u that taking a cheat day every now and again is ok. :-)
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yes I do....Like this weekend...I've been eating some yummy foods that aren't so good for me..and not sure how I want to log everything...so, I'll log what I can and can the rest...
    No worries, cuz there will be a new day or week ahead!
  • 2blueeyedbabies
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't beat myself up over it - you are human after all! I've done it on occasion for the same reasons you mentioned. Bottom line, ONE day won't hurt you. It's the focus you put on that one "slip" that leads to giving up and going back to old habits.

My suggestion: Let it go! :)
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I can't bring myself too. I don't trust myself to get back on the horse the next day. I'm too impulsive.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yes, and my day was today. Dinner and dessert at Chili's with friends put me further over than I've been in months but I had fun and I'll be back on track tomorrow.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    :noway: only when I am way up in Northern MN where the cell coverage is missing where we visit. But I am very careful and my sister-in-law has a treadmill that she shares. I do take time off with gym. I go 5 days a week. I am in this for the long haul so I know that I can't give in to my desire to binge, even for a day. I will eat differently there to some degree but I bring my oatmeal and veggies and lean meat. I no longer bring: pop, chips, high fat cheese/cheese spreads/cheese or chip dips, candy, bars, etc. Hmmmm. they're not going to be so happy to see me if this continues.:ohwell: I think you get out of this exactly what you put in. Good luck.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've took the past week off, and it's showing (and not good either). I find it's definately easier to slack off when not logging regularly, and even diligently. Have a long way to go! Not beating myself up TOO much though -- the pounds are doing that for me.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I've not had a "cheat" day, and I'd rather not have one. If I want something, I work it into my calorie totals.
  • kimmysue
    kimmysue Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have done it! When I went on my scrapbooking retreat--it was just to much of a hassle to try to do everything on my phone and guess at the calories in the food we were served. I think the key is to not let it derail you. I have let that happen to me. I would have one day that was just a total loss--and let that totally derail me. This time around, I have told myself that there will be days when I will be over my calorie goal and/or not log things in. I just have to get back on track. Besides, I think a cheat day is not a bad thing. It can help us stay on track and not get discouraged. You are doing great!!
  • acbeenblossom
    Options
    If I take the day off with food, I don't take the day off with exercise. I alternate to try and stay on track! If you give up one, you should push harder with the other. However, I agree that everyone deserves a cheat day every now and again. While some people do it once a week, I can't handle that. It would kick me off the band-wagon if I ate like that once a week.

Don't kick yourself when life happens. Just make sure that you make tomorrow better. Always trying to better yourself and becoming the best version of yourself should be your goal!
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've only been on MFP for a little over 30 days and I've logged everything I've eaten. That does not mean I haven't been over my calorie goal, I have a few times and I will again (like Wednesday for my monthly book club get together, and then the Saturday after that when we celebrate a friend's 40th b-day at a nice restaurant). I will exercise those days to earn as many calories as I can, but nothing overboard. As others have posted, this is for the long haul and I plan to enjoy life while losing weight. But I do want to track if I have internet access to "keep it real" so to speak.
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    I actually do not. I take days off from my routine and exercising. But I have changed my diet for good. I have also been afraid that I might derail myself and not be able to get back on. I also feel so much better that I actually do not want to feel tired and yucky which is how I know I would feel if I were to "cheat".
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yes I take every Sunday off. No exercise and no logging. I do not go crazy with food I just don't stress about it. Works for me and it also allows my body a day to rest from working out.
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    *double post...sorry computer screwed up*
  • Ottie35
    Ottie35 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Definentely, just pick up where you left off and get back on the boat! Nothing wrong with eating some stuff you want to every once in a while!
  • icewyche
    icewyche Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Every so often, usually about once a month, I declare a "F**k My Diet" day, in which I refuse to feel guilty about going over my calorie allotment. That doesn't mean I go hog-wild and stuff my face, but I let myself have things like a cheeseburger for dinner, a couple of donuts at an early meeting, or a piece (or two) of chocolate cake at an office celebration. It's just good to give yourself a break now and then and let yourself refocus.
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    I've taken a handful of days off in 7 months...I log what I eat for the most part to hold myself accountable, and I get right back on track the next day.

Don't beat yourself up...life happens!

:happy:
  • dkvote
    dkvote Posts: 58
    Options
    I log everything...even the bad days...but today I knew would be bad, went on a long bike ride an ended w over 400 calories left. Logging the BAD days shows your commitment to this site but also to yourself! It's okay to go over now an then...boosts your metabolism!
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I def do! But I also STILL log it. I dont intentionally take off days they just happen sometime (like yours). I find that when I DONT log it its tough for me to motivate myself to get back into things, esp if I've been seeing results. When I do log though the horror of my day stares me in the face and that motivates me to get back on track the next day. Making sure I keep it to an off DAY and not an off WEEK :P