Does spaghetti squash taste like pasta?

Options

Replies

• watsonisin
    watsonisin Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm with you anharrison, I was a bit disappointed. What was I thinking. . . it is a squash afterall. I guess I got my hopes a little to high LOL. Mixing with whole wheat spaghetti is a really good idea. Thanks!
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I tried it and did not like it - and it was alot of work. Another tip from Hungry Girl that is easy - broccoli slaw. I hate broccoli, but when you soften the slaw up in a fry pan with a little bit of water, you can put whatever toppings on that you can pasta. I have done light alfredo sauce, and marinara. Both were good, and very quick/easy to make. There are other comments about broccoli slaw here, just do a search.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash, in fact we're having it tonight...but I just bake it with a scootch of margarine and tons of dill and eat as is...no sauce...
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    NO! It tastes like a vegetable even when covered with sauce. Perhaps mix some with regular pasta.

Even the smallest squash makes too much for me so I have made squash fritters with the leftovers which were super healthy and then my husband would eat them.
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash tastes wonderful in True Foods spaghetti squash casserole. Recipe is in the database. It is some work. I made sure i added enough red pepper flakes to punch up the taste. so worth it:glasses:
  • busymnmom
    busymnmom Posts: 133
    Options
    bump
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash with pasta sauce on it is my new favorite food!
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I put sage (dried or fresh) and Parmesan cheese on it and a little olive oil. It doesn't taste like spaghetti but it's super filling and really good! Plus....really low calories. :)

I haven't tried the sage, but the olive oil and parmesan cheese are awesome on it :happy:
  • theome
    theome Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    iv had spaghetti squash, it was baked and i didnt like it at all, too crunchy but i am going to try boiling it this time.
  • TamLind83
    TamLind83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    there you go! That's the way I do it -- boiling just seems icky... wouldn't that really water-log it down?

anyway, roasting brings out more flavor! I use extra virgin olive oil instead of margarine, though -- just a little, though: less than a teaspoon on each side. i just rub it on the cut side in order to enhance the browning.

Boiling it absolutely makes it watery. I recently found this out when I was in a hurry and didn't want to wait an hour for it to cook in the oven. I ended up having to wait for it to cool down so I could scrape it out of the skin and then I put it into a non-stick skillet with a little bit of olive oil and cooked it until most of the water had cooked off. I topped it with a bit of parmesan cheese after and it was great! I will certainly only use the oven to cook it from now on, and you're right, I felt like it had more flavor when it was baked in the oven.
  • rmworthem
    Options
    hmm... sounds like I should give this a try with a little bit of spaghetti and sauce. i wonder if I should tell my husband. I don't think he would care too much. I hate squash but it sounds like it maybe worth a try. I would read the recipes with this in it and go... eww, yuck squash. But I do have to start eating better.

Since boiling takes away from some of the taste, how long do you boil it? It would seem like a good way to start adding it to my diet.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I bake mine in the microwave with a bit of butter, cinnamon and sugar (or sweetener).
  • SuzieGarner
    Options
    AGREED!! Oh man, those shiritaki stunk up my house and the smell made it impossible for me to eat them.
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump - lots of great ideas on this post! thanks! : )
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! I looks like yellow pasta, but the taste is nowhere close, IMO. I've had it a few times and actually really like it, but I can't see anyone eating it and not even thinking that something was a little off; the texture's not really the same. When I had it, I just put some salt, pepper, and a little parmesan on it, but I think a lot of people eat it with pasta sauces.
  • handpaintedshoe
    handpaintedshoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No, spaghetti squash is named that because of the spaghetti like flesh inside the squash. It tastes very much like "squash". I used to eat this years ago, and is best with melted butter and brown sugar:) I am sure there is a lower fat version, but I wasn't fond of the flavor hence the butter/brown sugar. Good luck!
  • BriskaPacojame
    Options
    bump
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Sure does! Even better in my opinion. My 4 year old can't tell the difference and she is a spaghetti pro. I put spaghetti sauce on mine.
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump