Whey Protein

Options
Does anyone know if Whey Protein drinks good while trying to lose weight?

Replies

• Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I have one every morning after my workout. I use IsoPure Zero Carb. So far it's worked for me.
  • JustQue
    JustQue Posts: 157
    Options
    I have one every morning after my workout. I use IsoPure Zero Carb. So far it's worked for me.
    I do the same. I really think it has helped with recovery and soreness after a hard workout. Q
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    eating lean protein is important as part of your weight loss plan because protein helps keep you full between meals...and has value to the maintenance of lean muscle within your body. whey protein is simply a form of lean protein that you can use in place of another form of lean protein. for me, I'm allergic to nuts and I don't have the time to cook enough protein for every meal...so, sometimes I drink some protein mix to keep my protein count where I want it. preferably, choose a whey protein mix that has at least 20 grams of protein and is low in carbs and fat. choose one that you can mix with only water to eliminate the calories of other mixing agents.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Short answer is yes.

Of the available protein, whey is easily synthesized and is very thermogenic in comparison to other protein sources.

Used between meals as a snack or as a post workout shake are common strategies.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein as a post-workout shake to aid muscle recovery. It dissolves quickly & gets to the muscles faster than protein from digested food, since obviously the food needs to digest first. Assuming you don't eat any fat for an hour or so, you'll get the quickest benefit from the shake.

Apart from that you really should get the rest of your protein from food if at all possible, but there's no harm in boosting your morning smoothies with some protein powder. It will help control your appetite. Just be sure to use it as a SUPPLEMENT & not your primary source of protein.
  • skinnygirl49
    Options
    I use Fortress advanced whey protein. I get it from Walmart. One scoop has 26g ptrotein, 140 calories. I use it as as an alternative to get much grams of protein. I mix mine with unsweetened almond milk. It is just great.
  • BamaGurl47
    Options
    If you are low on your protien count somedays i think its good to use as a suppliment .. but like others say you dont want to make it your main protien source ....
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My doc has me on an extremely low-carb diet, so protein powder is my lifesaver. I put a scoop in my drink at every meal and snacktime. My fave is Syntrax Nectar, it has lots of different flavor varieties & no carbs, and mixes well in water or coffee.

Here's the science: protein is like wood. You can burn wood in a fire & get heat energy from it. You can also use wood to build your house. So you need protein, first of all, to build & repair your muscles when you've been working out. But also, the chemical reaction that burns fat in your body requires amino acids (protein). So if you do all this exercise and get your body burning all this fat but you don't give it enough protein, it will harvest that protein from your muscles, and you'll lose both fat & muscle. You don't want to lose muscle, just fat. So my doc says to eat or drink something containing protein both immediately before and immediately after a workout.
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is Necture... all flavors except coffee!!!
  • Ichbinceiling
    Options
    I don't enjoy Whey, so I use an egg white protein. However, the brand that I use is Jay Robb, its expensive, but its good!

Jay Robb comes in both Whey or Egg White.