How many pounds have you lost, what did you do to lose them,

Options
Hi,
I am new to MFP. I have started eating differently and changing my exercise habits so that I can lose weight to look better and be healthier. I was wondering if some people could share their stories about how they lost weight, how long it took, and how many pounds they lost. Thank you in advance. I love reading success stories because they encourage me to keep going.

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I started in January of this year and have lost about 62lbs total. I started using MFP when I was 199 so that's why only 46 show up on here. This site is great if you stick to it. I lost most of mine with just changing what I eat. But I now workout 6 days a week for at least 30min.
  • odessablondie
    odessablondie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You should stop by the Success Stories board. TONS of inspiration over there. :)
  • PJ8911
    PJ8911 Posts: 12
    Options
    Okay.. Thanks!
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You should stop by the Success Stories board. TONS of inspiration over there. :)

^ this. I love looking at the threads with pictures especially!
  • PJ8911
    PJ8911 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I started in January of this year and have lost about 62lbs total. I started using MFP when I was 199 so that's why only 46 show up on here. This site is great if you stick to it. I lost most of mine with just changing what I eat. But I now workout 6 days a week for at least 30min.

Thanks for sharing your story with me!
  • adrianneboyd
    adrianneboyd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am a mother of two and 28 years old. I started MFP just over 2 and a half months ago and have lost almost 20 pounds! The biggest thing is tracking everything...even my bad days. It gave me the knowledge and the tools to actually SEE what I was eating and I only exercise 2-3 times a week. This site has been great and anyone can do it if you WANT to lose weight and you are serious about sticking with it!!!!

Good luck on your journey! Friend me if you would like some extra support!
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP too! I lost 6 pounds this week. I used to eat taco bell and sweets like it was going out of style! What I did to shock my body was ONLY drink water and ONLY eat fruits and vegetables. It is a very strict diet, no meats,no eggs,no cheese,no wheat.... like seriously ONLY fruits and veggies.... It is working quite well so far, i think im gonna do it for 21 days.

It can be hard to maintain though, esp. since my mom makes killer italian food and my friend go to fast food drive thru infront of me :(
  • wayne4825
    wayne4825 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!! I started my weight loss journey in February of this year at 306lbs and with better eating habits, an amazing support system and walking and hiking regularly I've gotten down to approximately 250lb. I recently started using MFP in April and is helped me stay on track. I know longer am dependant on diabetic medication any longer as well.
  • sadinuel
    Options
    I'm new to this, but is working 7 pounds so far in 4 weeks.
  • cmoutarimoussa
    cmoutarimoussa Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss in January. My heavest weight being 265. I have lost a total of 38lbs i am now 229 but didnt join MFP til i was down to 252. I lost the weight just counting calories, i havent been exercising at all! But i am gonna start soon, once i get a gym membership, Cause if i lost 38lbs just by changing how i eat imagine how much i could lose if i had exercise to that! So you can do it..you just have to be diligent and willing to put in the work!! Good luck
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I am down about 50lbs since May of this year (220-172), all I did was eat right and exercise. I don't have a gym membership, I just do it with what I have at home.

Lot of cardio with strength training mixed in a few days a week.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Hello and welcome.
    I've lost 25 lbs so far. My goal was to lose around 35. In all honesty I am very happy with the way my body looks right now and I am just focusing on fitness and health now. If I lose any additional weight that's fine, but that is not what I am actively focusing on right now.
    So, I started kickboxing a few months ago, soon after that I added daily walking, the daily walking turned into running, then I added yoga a few times a week. As far as food is concerned - I did not track calories every day. I just started to slowly eliminate non essentials and focus on natural whole foods. I eat until I feel full but not stuffed. I have treats (chocolate) on occasion. The weight slowly came off in the course of about 5 months.
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    I'm new. only 2 weeks, and lost 5 lbs so far !
  • yeaforme
    Options
    Hi!! 8 days, 8 lbs (probably just water weight) but I like the numbers going down.
    I am doing a 1200 calorie diet with no refined sugar or white foods and mild to moderate exercise depending on how my RA is doing on that given day.
    The support on this site is an amazing help! Cheers and good luck!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am down about 50lbs since May of this year (220-172), all I did was eat right and exercise. I don't have a gym membership, I just do it with what I have at home.

Lot of cardio with strength training mixed in a few days a week.

How WONDERFUL!!! you have TWO POUNDS TO GO!!!! I'm cheering for you as you approach the finish line. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    54 pounds lost and I started in March 2011. Started by just logging in my food intake, cut down my portion size and started eating a lot more salads. One month into logging food, I started walking, and then gradually added in numerous low and high intensity workouts including P90x, zumba, yoga etc. The last two months or so, I have added in weight training. When I started, I worked out about 3-4 days, now I work out pretty much every day, but I vary my workout as I like to try new things.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    My journey started Jan. 23. I weighed 252 at that time. As of Friday, I weighed 191.4. Currently aiming for 175 but will re-evaluate when I get to the 170s. What have I done?

phase 1: Last Thanksgivingish I finally decided that it was time to regain my health, enjoy time with my family and limit the risks of disease. I decided to wait until January to earnestly start because starting around the December holiday season would have, for me, possibly been a recipe for disaster.

phase 2: From Jan 23 until April 4, I did Weight Watchers on-line sort of. I realized within 2 weeks that I wasn't approaching the points plus total and I stopped tracking food on WW. I generally followed the concepts and lost about 21-23 pounds during this time. I did no exercise during this phase.

phase 3: time to add some exercise. Beginning April 4, I began climbing the stairs in my office. I continued doing this every work day until mid May. The number of stairs I was climbing got pretty insane, but I'm going to tell you that I made a mistake climbing stairs every day. Its the equivalent of going to the gym and doing squats every day. My legs were not given sufficient time to recovery and I think this affected my progress. I don't recall losing or gaining any real weight for about 3 weeks during this time. Weight loss began again the last week of April when I started an all natural (veggie only) cleanse. I did the cleanse for 3.5 weeks and lost roughly 18 pounds during the cleanse. By the end of May, I was down 41 pounds.

phase 4: while doing the cleanse, I was worried about gaining the weight back once it was over so I started reading a lot of material on nutrition and exercise. I learned a ton during this time and I continue to read more things. I made certain decisions about what I was going to do post-cleanse to give me the best chance of continuing my journey.

phase 5: at the end of May, I recall telling my wife that it was time to add resistance training to my journey. I suggested rejoining the gym. She liked the time I was spending at home so I decided to purchase some home gym equipment from ebay and craig's list...and read material on exercise routines I could do from home (see blog below). From June through the end of July, I lost only a few more pounds....but I felt my body changing during this time period.

phase 6: near the end of July, my sister suggested we join MFP. I had never heard of MFP and initially I doubted that I would log my food everyday. However, when I realized how easy it was to log food, I kept doing it. At some point in late August, I began making some realizations. Among other things, I realized that I had become complacent with the partial success I had had. I began truly understanding the mental challenges we face during the journey (which some of the material I had read spoke of). I began diagnosing my mental stumbling blocks. I became enlightened.

phase 7: beginning sometime in September, with a better understanding of mental roadblocks, I re-focused and got back in the zone. I am back to losing weight at a good pace. Understanding the power of what I discovered, I prepared a will power blog that will helpfully help others.

My profile contains my basic eating rules. I have a blog about some of the exercise I do. My profile contains some of the work I've put together as described in my will power blog.

Good luck to you. I hope that some of this helps.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I started losing about May this year at 192lb. Reached my goal weight 13/08 at 160lbs.

Lost those 32lbs pretty much exclusively by eating properly. Wasn't too difficult with a bit of willpower - although I always said you have to be hungry from time to time to lose weight!

I wasn't happy with my body at goal weight though so my focus switched from weight loss to body shape modification! I'm now at day 51 of P90x and having some great results. Gained about 4lb of muscle so far.

As one of my friends on here says - I used to want to be skinny, now I want to be ripped!

Jay
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I didn't really change that much. The best advice i was given was to only make changes that you are HAPPY with, and could stick with forever if need be. Therefore i still don't eat veg, still have everything i always did, no cutting anything out, just now i eat them in moderation, and use my calories as currency. If i want to blow 500 cals on that bit of cake, i can! It just means i have 500 less later in the day...so i make the decision is it really worth it? That way i get zero cravings, and really makes me appreciate treats when i do have them!

4st (56lbs) in exactly 6 months, and it's been an absolute breeze. At no point have i felt deprived, on a diet, or thought about going back to my old ways!

Never felt better, fitter, stronger. :)
  • kfitz10103
    Options
    I started my health journey in January and Joined MFP in May. I have lost almost 58 lbs by eating better. I started by eating less and now I am trying to eat better foods.