Why water weight ??? Myth? Truth?

Options
So I have heard many people say that their first few weeks of weight loss was water weight.
Why? This makes no sense to me, why would it be water weight? Why wouldn't the weight loss actually be fat loss?

And if it is true.... that it is just water weight...then when, at what point do we start to really lose fat ???

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Could be the healthier diet lacks much of the sodium as the old diet, add in drinking more water, and out goes the stored water.
  • RissaRoo007
    Options
    I would LOVE some answers to these questions also. I literally JUST posted on the exact same topic. When does it switch from "water weight" to "fat loss"?!
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Could be the healthier diet lacks much of the sodium as the old diet, add in drinking more water, and out goes the stored water.
    ^^^This^^^ Usually an unhealthy diet contains lots of sodium and soda which makes you retain lots of water. When you start eating healthier and drinking more water you flush that excess fluid out of your system which is why your first week you could see big weight loss. It will taper off and then you start to lose actual weight.
  • lazywriter
    Options
    After almost 2 weeks, IME.
  • AngelaAbbott391
    Options
    Don't listen to those stupid dieting myths. Sure, you do have water weight, but exercising and dieting isn't going to make you loose water, it's going to make you loose fat and gain muscle.

As a lot of people use as their excuse for "water weight" is your sodium to water ratio. Well, sure, you may have a couple pounds in water weight, but you'll loose some fat in the process, too.
    Dieting myths like this are so irritating and get passed around on this site more than any other place I've ever seen. Even some of the things that the actual website tells you aren't true.
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    Don't listen to those stupid dieting myths. Sure, you do have water weight, but exercising and dieting isn't going to make you loose water, it's going to make you loose fat and gain muscle.

As a lot of people use as their excuse for "water weight" is your sodium to water ratio. Well, sure, you may have a couple pounds in water weight, but you'll loose some fat in the process, too.
    Dieting myths like this are so irritating and get passed around on this site more than any other place I've ever seen. Even some of the things that the actual website tells you aren't true.

I'm sorry- I have to do this: LOSE*******************
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options

You won't gain muscle without eating surplus calories.
    Exercise and drinking water, and eating less sodium WILL make you lose water weight.
    Yes, you will also lose some fat in the process.

Please don't speak in absolutes, and say everyone else is wrong. We all "lose" weight too!
  • yeaforme
    Options
    Wow. I have been told that by so many people, I just assumed it was true. I always hear, "Don't get too excited, its just water weight" any time I start losing weight.
  • Whitneylol
    Options

Exercise and drinking water, and eating less sodium WILL make you lose water weight.

Please don't speak in absolutes, and say everyone else is wrong. We all "lose" weight too!

"You won't gain muscle without eating surplus calories."

.......waiting
  • sschoolfield
    Options
    It doesn't matter to me what kind of weight loss it is as long as it comes off and stays off. :happy:
  • AngelaAbbott391
    Options

Sorry to rant, but I must prove your stupid little dieting myths WRONG.

How could you possibly say that 2 weeks is the definite time? Well guess what, I know for a fact that's not true. (And before you judge me, I want you to know that I did not intend on getting an eating disorder, it was a good diet gone bad.) Oh, and it truly depends on your diet and exercise plan. THERE IS NO DEFINITE TIME. Even if two people were doing the same diet and exercise plan, they may not get the same results. If a 180lb person ate what I ate, they'd probably loose insanely fast, where I don't loose as much because I have less body fat, and a lot of other things play a role into it, like metabolism and so on.

I lost a pound a day when I first got my ED. Guess what! That was approximately 14lbs in 2 weeks. Eventually the weight loss slowed down, but that was because I had a lot less fat on my body to loose. I started at 162 and am now at 124. The weight loss slowed to about half a pound a day when I got to 140, and got increasingly harder once I hit 130ish, but that happens to anyone who is at a good weight. The more fat you have on your body, the easier to loose.

Oh, and while we are talking about dieting myths, I have proven the "starvation mode" myth wrong, too. I eat around 500cal a day, and don't eat whenever it is possible - but I still loose weight. Look at Holocaust victims and tell them that starvation mode is true. They wouldn't have died.

Sorry for the ranting again, but I hate false information being passed around. It drives me insane.
    And I want to let you all know I am not proud of my ED, and if you guys really understood what I go through on a day to day basis, than I doubt you would still hate on me for it.
  • AngelaAbbott391
    Options

Wait a second. This sounds oddly wrong. I can fast for days and still gain muscle. Wait no, that can't be true because I'm not eating any surplus calories! Oh wait, that must be true because I have a lot of muscle I didn't used to have.
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options

How could you possibly say that 2 weeks is the definite time? Well guess what, I know for a fact that's not true. (And before you judge me, I want you to know that I did not intend on getting an eating disorder, it was a good diet gone bad.) Oh, and it truly depends on your diet and exercise plan. THERE IS NO DEFINITE TIME. Even if two people were doing the same diet and exercise plan, they may not get the same results. If a 180lb person ate what I ate, they'd probably loose insanely fast, where I don't loose as much because I have less body fat, and a lot of other things play a role into it, like metabolism and so on.

I lost a pound a day when I first got my ED. Guess what! That was approximately 14lbs in 2 weeks. Eventually the weight loss slowed down, but that was because I had a lot less fat on my body to loose. I started at 162 and am now at 124. The weight loss slowed to about half a pound a day when I got to 140, and got increasingly harder once I hit 130ish, but that happens to anyone who is at a good weight. The more fat you have on your body, the easier to loose.

Oh, and while we are talking about dieting myths, I have proven the "starvation mode" myth wrong, too. I eat around 500cal a day, and don't eat whenever it is possible - but I still loose weight. Look at Holocaust victims and tell them that starvation mode is true. They wouldn't have died.

Sorry for the ranting again, but I hate false information being passed around. It drives me insane.
    And I want to let you all know I am not proud of my ED, and if you guys really understood what I go through on a day to day basis, than I doubt you would still hate on me for it.
    So what exactly did you prove wrong??? You just gave us YOUR opinion on what has worked and works for YOU like everyone else has.....
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    (Spelled: lose. It's lose like biggest loser, or when you lose weight your pants feel loose. see the difference)

;)

Cheers!:drinker:
  • AngelaAbbott391
    Options

So what exactly did you prove wrong??? You just gave us YOUR opinion on what has worked and works for YOU like everyone else has.....

How was that an opinion? I'm honestly not trying to pick arguments here, I'm just telling you that it does not take a definite 2 weeks to start loosing fat. It may take some people 2 weeks, it may take some people 4 weeks, hell, it may take some people 4 days. I'm just pointing out that everybody's body is different. And also in the process proving that you don't stop loosing weight if you eat under 1200cal a day (the whole starvation mode myth)
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options

I'm having trouble understanding why the ED had to be brought into this at all.
  • AngelaAbbott391
    Options
    (Spelled: lose. It's lose like biggest loser, or when you lose weight your pants feel loose. see the difference)

;)

Cheers!:drinker:

Haha, I made a few typos in there. I know that :)
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options

How was that an opinion? I'm honestly not trying to pick arguments here, I'm just telling you that it does not take a definite 2 weeks to start loosing fat. It may take some people 2 weeks, it may take some people 4 weeks, hell, it may take some people 4 days. I'm just pointing out that everybody's body is different. And also in the process proving that you don't stop loosing weight if you eat under 1200cal a day (the whole starvation mode myth)

Where did anyone mention anything about "starvation mode", number of minimum calories, Eating disorders, or dieting myths?

The OP merely wanted to know about losing water weight in the first few weeks, and then you went all ballistic.
    You have yet to disprove anyone with your statement.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Where did anyone mention anything about "starvation mode", number of minimum calories, Eating disorders, or dieting myths?

The OP merely wanted to know about losing water weight in the first few weeks, and then you went all ballistic.
    You have yet to disprove anyone with your statement.

^this.
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options

Please everyone be nice....Lets try to not go too much off topic, I'm just curious about water weight/fat loss. But since you mentioned the starvation mode... I read Jon Gabriel's book, he talks a lot about starvation mode and it seems to me NOT to be a myth. I'm not going to go into it, but if your curious read his book "the Gabriel Method"