Uses for egg yolks??

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
I have rediscovered my love of egg whites, and want to know of some uses for the yolks as I feel a bit bad chucking them away all the time! Love scrambled egg whites and egg white omelettes, but have never enjoyed the yolks!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    I have rediscovered my love of egg whites, and want to know of some uses for the yolks as I feel a bit bad chucking them away all the time! Love scrambled egg whites and egg white omelettes, but have never enjoyed the yolks!
    Stop buying whole eggs for starters. You can buy liquid egg whites by the carton now in just about any grocery store. Yolks can be used for mayonaise.
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yolks only can be used for scrummy creme brulee
    (probably the most tasty and also most fattening thing on the planet) :frown:
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Freeze 'em and use a slingshot to shoot 'em at that darn neighbor's cat that keeps crapping in your flowerbed! ;)
    I'm not a big yolk fan myself. In fact I'm not really a big egg fan except for scrambled. Although coincidentally I had the first hard-boiled egg that I've had in YEARS this morning.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I usually mix the yolks with some Vegenaise and spices for a sandwich spread.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Gonna watch this topic. I use 1 yolk and 5 whites in my omelets. :)

Once in a while, if I hard boil them, I give one to each of the dogs. ;) They love it!

EDITED TO ADD:

Also, this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/371510-over-stuffed-angel-d-eggs-pic-recipe
  • cookc04
    cookc04 Posts: 71
    Options
    Custard / Custard Tarts.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I like egg yolks, but I generally give extras to my dogs, raw on their dry food or cooked a little in the microwave for their snack. Eggs are supposed to make their coats shiny. If you're feeling really nice, you could make custard with your yolks, fill eclairs, and give them away to skinny people. If you're feeling really mean, you could give them to people who shouldn't eat them.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Stop buying whole eggs for starters. You can buy liquid egg whites by the carton now in just about any grocery store. Yolks can be used for mayonaise.

Not in New Zealand grocery stores unfortunately!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

America is not the only counrty on the planet.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    If you're using organic eggs, you can use the yolk in smoothies raw.

Sometimes when I have too many egg yolks, I mix the extra yolk in with my dog's food. She loves egg yolk days.

You could make a stir-fry with noodles or rice and mix in the yolks there, kind of like a fried rice.
  • Visser1971
    Options

Not in New Zealand grocery stores unfortunately!

Nor in any place in Europe! At least I have never found a shop that sells egg beaters or anything similar.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    They make a good moisturizing hair/face mask (and the whites make a great pore-shrinking mask)
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I eat the entire egg. Have been for the past 43 years.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    They make a good moisturizing hair/face mask (and the whites make a great pore-shrinking mask)

Oh yeah! I use a whole egg in my honey and olive oil hair treatment. =D
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    conditioner!
    rub into hair with a little milk or water to stoop them drying out. leave 10 mins plus ( if you are leaving longer cover with plastic wrap to stop drying.)
    rinse with COOL water - never use hot you will cook the eggs in you hair which is bad)
    wash as normal
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

America is not the only counrty on the planet.

Relax. I didn't know egg whites weren't available in other first-world countries, either. And I work at being internationally aware.

Not all Americans are ethnocentric a**holes, either.

Niner was being helpful.
  • normh545
    normh545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    now now lol

the best reply's were

1 = give them to skinny people
    2=use as conditioner but not with hot water as it will cook the egg on your head
    3= shoot them at cats that crap in ya garden
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Feed them to your kids. Well, if you have kids. lol I just discovered this today! I made scrambled egg whites for breakfast, and since my daughter wanted scrambled eggs too, I just added one whole egg to my 3 yolks and made them for her. Worked out well, and I didn't have to waste them. But that really only helps if you have kids. :wink:
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I put them in my hair. :D Egg yolk does amazing things for hair. You can mix with oil and honey or whatever for a mask or mix with conditioner (as I do when I'm lazy) and let sit in hair for half an hour then rinse out. My hair feels amazingly soft and strong afterwards.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I like egg yolks, but I generally give extras to my dogs, raw on their dry food or cooked a little in the microwave for their snack. Eggs are supposed to make their coats shiny. If you're feeling really nice, you could make custard with your yolks, fill eclairs, and give them away to skinny people. If you're feeling really mean, you could give them to people who shouldn't eat them.
    I got three dogs and I feed them all the leftovers in my house. They are all lean and fit :happy: