Why water weight ??? Myth? Truth?

Options
13»

Replies

• lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    I lost 3 lbs first week and 2 lbs second week. I'm over weight but I have always drank about 2 litres a day for as long as I can remember (I love water).
    So the only thing I have changed is I lowered my calorie intake... I'm eating less, drinking the same amount of water that I always have. That's why I thought I have been burning off fat, not water the past two weeks.
    What was your calorie deficit in both weeks?

Yikes! I don't know !! How do I calculate or find that out? I was eating an average of 1400 cals a day.
  • rutkowsm
    rutkowsm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 lbs first week and 2 lbs second week. I'm over weight but I have always drank about 2 litres a day for as long as I can remember (I love water).
    So the only thing I have changed is I lowered my calorie intake... I'm eating less, drinking the same amount of water that I always have. That's why I thought I have been burning off fat, not water the past two weeks.

Yikes! I don't know !! How do I calculate or find that out? I was eating an average of 1400 cals a day.

I believe you take the BMR from your starting weight, and subtract your current calorie intake to find out what your calorie deficit would have been for that weight loss.
  • lovelee79
    Options

I believe you take the BMR from your starting weight, and subtract your current calorie intake to find out what your calorie deficit would have been for that weight loss.
    Taken from my goals:
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1,930 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,400 calories/ day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 530 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 1.1 lbs/ week

530 cal deficit x 14 days=7420 / 3,500 =2.12. So does that mean that I lost 2.12 lbs in fat and 2.88 in water ? =5lbs

I used the BMR calculator in tools. and it said 1568.
    So 1568 - 1400 cals =168

Is this right ?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    After almost 2 weeks, IME.

Sorry to rant, but I must prove your stupid little dieting myths WRONG.

How could you possibly say that 2 weeks is the definite time? Well guess what, I know for a fact that's not true. (And before you judge me, I want you to know that I did not intend on getting an eating disorder, it was a good diet gone bad.) Oh, and it truly depends on your diet and exercise plan. THERE IS NO DEFINITE TIME. Even if two people were doing the same diet and exercise plan, they may not get the same results. If a 180lb person ate what I ate, they'd probably loose insanely fast, where I don't loose as much because I have less body fat, and a lot of other things play a role into it, like metabolism and so on.

umm she said IME which I think stands for In My Experience. she is giving her opinion. not stating it as fact.
  • rutkowsm
    Options

Taken from my goals:
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1,930 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,400 calories/ day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 530 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 1.1 lbs/ week

I used the BMR calculator in tools. and it said 1568.
    So 1568 - 1400 cals =168

Is this right ?

If the calories you burn from normal daily activity is 1930 and you're eating 1400 daily, your deficit would be 530, as MFP says.
  • lovelee79
    Options
    i just edited my post ^
  • rutkowsm
    Options
    You're doing great! My understanding is that if you factor in exercise, and you don't eat back those calories (there's a lot of debate about whether or not this is good though, as I can see from clicking around on the boards) you've increased your calorie deficit.

Forgive me if my posts aren't making sense. My brain isn't working at full capacity (but it won't turn off to let me sleep).
  • lovelee79
    Options
    You're doing great! My understanding is that if you factor in exercise, and you don't eat back those calories (there's a lot of debate about whether or not this is good though, as I can see from clicking around on the boards) you've increased your calorie deficit.

Forgive me if my posts aren't making sense. My brain isn't working at full capacity (but it won't turn off to let me sleep).

I'm just talking about water weight here. ninerbuff asked me what my deficit was so I'm waiting for his response.
  • jerelallday
    Options
    Hey-

Part of the reason for the "loss of water weight" in the beginning of a fat loss program comes down to the science of the molecules. Long story short, your body stores carbs and each Carbohydrate molecule has the ability to bond with 3 H2O molecules to become fully saturated. As your body burns through stored carbs, the C-H2O bonds break, causing the "loss of water weight". The point at which you begin to lose fat is when you are a) eating at a calorie deficit and b) burning through your stored carbohydrates. There's also a link between higher sodium and water retention, as well as dairy products and water retention... which is the reason people who train for competitions stick to complex, slow digesting carbs, and avoid sodium and dairy leading up to a competition, show, or shoot. Hope this helps :)

Jerel
  • lovelee79
    Options
    Hey-

Part of the reason for the "loss of water weight" in the beginning of a fat loss program comes down to the science of the molecules. Long story short, your body stores carbs and each Carbohydrate molecule has the ability to bond with 3 H2O molecules to become fully saturated. As your body burns through stored carbs, the C-H2O bonds break, causing the "loss of water weight". The point at which you begin to lose fat is when you are a) eating at a calorie deficit and b) burning through your stored carbohydrates. There's also a link between higher sodium and water retention, as well as dairy products and water retention... which is the reason people who train for competitions stick to complex, slow digesting carbs, and avoid sodium and dairy leading up to a competition, show, or shoot. Hope this helps :)

Jerel

Yes! helps so much! thank you very much.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    [/quote]"Sorry, but you should know gaining muscle on calorie deficit is practically impossible. To gain muscle you need to be in calorie surplus"
    [/quote]

Not always... I have a medical condition that defies this explanation! Since developing Dystonia where my muscles involuntarily contract and relax and sometimes just contract and stay in that position for a while.. I have increased muscle even though my food calories very rarely go over 1300. Admittedly its only by a small amount I think my lean muscle mass was 31.0 and is now 32.9 or something but it has increased despite been on a low calorie diet and not been able to manage any weight lifting or high intensity aerobic/zumba etc (full time wheelchair user for last 6 years)

Sometimes looking at what happens when our bodies go wrong can give you the answers to what they are doing, when they are working properly! :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I'm just talking about water weight here. ninerbuff asked me what my deficit was so I'm waiting for his response.
    So you probably dropped a little water and fat, but you may have also lost a little lean muscle. When losing weight you will lose fat, but some lean muscle along with it. What you want to do is keep lean muscle loss minimized by exercising it. Some people say they don't care, but if you lose too much lean muscle it will quickly lower your resting metabolic rate which means you then need to eat even less calories to lose fat. This is why many dieters who just cut calories only stall within a few weeks and then plateau.
    Exercise is important because it keeps your muscles active and stronger and keeps your metabolism higher.
    Based on your deficits, you'll lose about a 1lb a week. If you lose more than that, then you may be burning more than just fat.
  • lovelee79
    Options
    So you probably dropped a little water and fat, but you may have also lost a little lean muscle. When losing weight you will lose fat, but some lean muscle along with it. What you want to do is keep lean muscle loss minimized by exercising it. Some people say they don't care, but if you lose too much lean muscle it will quickly lower your resting metabolic rate which means you then need to eat even less calories to lose fat. This is why many dieters who just cut calories only stall within a few weeks and then plateau.
    Exercise is important because it keeps your muscles active and stronger and keeps your metabolism higher.
    Based on your deficits, you'll lose about a 1lb a week. If you lose more than that, then you may be burning more than just fat.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your response. I have learned a lot. Ya learn something new everyday !
    Cheers! :happy: