Need help! Hurting shins while walking!

Options
Hi there! Something really strange happened today. I started walking 5 weeks ago, and since then I managed to walk almost every day between 60 and 120 minutes. Yesterday I took a day off.

Today I started walking as always, and after 10 minutes I had extreme pain in my shins. It was out of nowhere and I couldn't walk on. Then it got better, but I didn't get anywhere near the speed I usually walk. Then I started to try running - and that worked fine.

I just don't get it, I didn't do anything different... same clolthes... same shoes... I just don't get it.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Replies

• shangunnell
    Options
    could be shin splints...I experience then sometimes when I run or walk alot...usually I have to delay my intensity of exercising a little and I feel better...good luck, I know it's hard not being able to do your normal activities
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Im no doctor, but have had some similiar happen. The doctor called it Shin Splints. Pretty much you'd need to back down on the time your walking/running and ice them 2x a day. If it lasts more than a week, or goes into another body part(mine was my lower back) then you need to go see a doctor. Mine ended up not just shin splints, but a slipped disc.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    It could be due to the "same shoes." How many miles do you have on them? Maybe they've worn out their welcome.

I can't imagine they are all used up within 5 weeks, but if you had them for a while prior to your walking regimen, then they could be the culprit.
  • iamverity
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints. I just completed a 1200km walk through France and shin splints is the most common pain - it can be crippling. Chatting to a physio should give you some ideas on how to stop it.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    mine did when i started "speed walking" more or long walks they hurt like hell 1st thing in the morning really stiff and i would still go out walking but by the time i had got 1/4 mile down the road i had forgotten all about them and they were fine till the next morning!!! not sure what it was but it probally lasted 6-9 months or so and they do not do it anymore...
    good luck x :flowerforyou:
  • piratepiet
    piratepiet Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    oh, so it is kinda normal. Good to know, I was mr. couch potato all my life until the 5 weeks ago, and so I had no clue about walking and running and everything that included movement ;-) Thank you!
  • piratepiet
    piratepiet Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's not the shoes, I bought them 4 weeks ago and made not more than 120 miles in them. I guess I will see tomorrow - maybe it was just a bad day ;-)
  • oneLessS
    oneLessS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sounds goofy but complete your stride. In other words, let your foot lift naturally and return instead of forcing it forward. (Roll completely off of your toes)