Cutting (toneing)/ Bulking

Options
For the guys (doesnt have to be) out there, how do you get over the fact that when you are on a severe cut (500 cals below maintainance or more) you know you are lifting just to maintain muscle and not to gain. Do you also feel like that going to the gym isn't improving anything? Since on a cut lifting mainly maintains muscle and its next to impossible to gain because of the overall hormones of reduced calories.

So do you want to get off the diet as soon as possible by eating less and less to get back to bulking?

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm bulking at the moment but when I start cutting I'm not going below 300 cals under maintenance. I want to maintain as much muscle / strength as I can. I really do hate being on a deficit, want it to be over asap but to me eating less and less will just worsen the situation and I'll risk losing what I worked so hard to build.

I never feel like the gym is a waste of time, it helps me get maintain my strength (sometimes even improve a little) and maintain what I do have when cutting. Plus I've always enjoyed lifting so I could never stop it.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My husband has been told that if you are trying to lose weight as well as build muscle ("ripped") that for most people it is best to lose the weight and then focus on building the muscle.
    So, he is currently eat about a 750 deficit (1.5lb per week). He does both strength training and cardio 3 times a week. It is a slow process but he is losing weight well and slowly building muscle.
    Hope this helps with your question....