New Guy in town

Options
Hi everybody. Just wanted to say that I stumbled onto myfitnesspal by chance late last night on my iPhone and this site looks amazing. Huge community with a lot of support. I am looking to lose 50 pounds and I start today. I am doing a Nutrisystem program with the help and support of myfitnesspal I think this time is going to be significant results. I plan to join a gym for cardio exercising as well. Anyone have any additional advice? I am all ears!!

Replies

• packerfan1
    packerfan1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!!! This site is awesome!! Good luck.
  • junekmoore
    Options
    Hello and welcome.. It has been a little over a week for me and I love this site. I believe you will too. When you join the gym you should be able to get at least one free consultation in which they tell you which machines and classes are good for what you want to accomplish. You may even get a few free workout with a personal trainer.

best wishes!
  • islander37
    Options
    Thanks Packerfan and Junekmoore!
  • rice161
    rice161 Posts: 59
    Options
    Welcome to the site! The biggest recommendation I have is to really learn about the food you're eating. Nutrisystem is a great program, but when you get off, how are you going to eat normally? This site won't tell you WHAT to eat but can teach you what choices are better as you stick with logging in the food diary. Secondly, most of my guy friends have found that cardio is necessary for your health, but you'll lose more weight building muscle through strength training, so I'd suggest you get both in. Best of luck to you!
  • SueWasik
    Options
    Welcome and good luck you stumbled onto a brilliant site !
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • islander37
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome advice Rice! I will surely keep it in mind!!!:smile:
  • islander37
    Options
    Thanks so much Sue! I think I must agree!!! :)
  • islander37
    Options
    much appreciated Shannon! Hope it benefits me! I am going to use it religiously!
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I joined a few days ago, I've found it very helpful just keeping track of my food. I hope that you have a wonderful experience here. ENJOY!!!!
  • mjsohm
    mjsohm Posts: 40
    Options
    Welcome! It is a great community, and knowing that people can see what I eat and will encourage me has given me a great deal of hope for success. Hopefully for you too!