vanity lbs - help

Options
I'm sorry if there's already been a million posts like this - I tried searching it and just couldn't find what I need to know. I started off not necessarily overweight, but definitely could stand to lose a few. Ive lost 8 lbs recently. Im now in I guess what you would call "vanity pound territory". I am at the higher end of a healthy weight for my body, and I still would like to lose just 10 more, but Ive hit a plateau. Im not sure what to do as I eat 1200-1300 cals a day, and DONT work out for the sole reason that I DONT want to have to eat more. On days that I do feel like eating more, I do, and then workout. So Im averaging 1200-1500 calories a day. If I eat less and or work out more, that is an "unhealthy amount of calories". But if I dont, how am I supposed to lose 10 more lbs!? Ive read that it may help to up calorie intake a bit, but this weekend I let myself enjoy a few more, and gained 2 lbs.

HELP! What have you done to overcome plateaus and lose the last 10 lbs?

Replies

• Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Since you're close to goal it's going to be slow. Change your settings to 1/2 a week, and I would suggest working out a few times a week and just eat calorie dense foods those days. Good luck!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    The best way to achieve a healthy, fit, look is by working out. What so many people don't get is that a number on the scale will not make you look good, a lean, toned body is what makes you look good.

The only way to get it is to work out and eat appropriately. Not working out to avoid extra calories seems bizarre to me. This will result in a higher body fat percentage and a mushy look, rather than a toned look.

Fat is "fluffier" than muscle, so think of it this way: If 1 lb. of fat could fit into a venti latte cup, 1 lb. of muscle might fit into a tall latte cup. Both cups would still weigh 1 lb, but that tall one sure looks smaller. Wouldn't you rather be walking around in a smaller, sleeker container?

I have a friend, same height and dress size as me, but she doesn't work out and has 23% body fat. She weighs about 15 lbs. less than I do, but we wear the exact same size clothes. I have about 18% body fat and work out 6 or 7 days a week. My point is, she is mushy mushy mushy, yuck! mushy stomach, mushy arms, legs, blech. Also, she smokes and starves herself to keep her weight down. I eat over 2000 cals a day and am very toned. I'd say I'm winning.

Don't be a skinny fatty, yuck. Work out, get yourself toned and use a tape measure instead. Get over the silly numbers!
  • lybl11
    lybl11 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you both!

sleepytexan, you really just opened my eyes. Thank you! I eat less to avoid working out because I hate working out and would rather go hungry,(and not having a gym bill has been nice ^_^ ) but you are right. Thats what I have to do to get the body I want. I always thought that once I got to the weight/size Im at now, I would be so happy! But my body doesnt look much different. Still too flabby. I guess Ill get that gym membership back!
  • sycarroll
    sycarroll Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight you general add more muscle which in turn burns more calories, if you than sticking to the same amount of food , you might not be getting enough food/nutrient etc for your body and it can go into starvation mode, and you can even put on weight when did happens. I lost 22 IBS before coming to MFP, and found that recently I was not lossing or even gaining a small bit of weight. I up my calories intake a from 1200 to 1300 plus when I exercies I will eat back some of the calories if I am hungry and it seem to have worked for me.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Change to 0.5lb a week! With those last few lbs it doesn't really matter if it comes off slower than the rest?

It took me a while to get my head around the concept but I am loving the extra food, and still losing a little at a time. I believe you have more chance of keeping it off like that too:smile:
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Oh yeh and you MUST work out- why would you avoid it just so you don't have to eat more? Working out means you CAN eat more and the food is used as important fuel, and you just create the deficit in a different way.

Like someone else said, if you don't exercise you will just be "mush" :bigsmile:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I really whacked up the exercise for the last 10 lbs. I was doing 10k training, boot camp twice a week and aerobics. So an hour of hard exercise, 6 days a week.